What age should boys be allowed to start football as opposed to other sports? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
Forum Jump: 

#1 of Old 08-12-2008, 11:27 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 25
Likes Given: 12
Here it is four. I grew up in a very small town where there was no football until middle school. That sounds good to me. Four seems too young. Football is a rough game. I do not know the rules of football, but it doesn't seem too complicated whereas soccer... Good grief there are a lot of rules to this game!

It is five to play baseball. It seems like baseball should start before football because it is not nearly as rough. However, baseball takes a certain mental maturity my dd didn't really have at five. The seven year olds where a lot more mentally mature than the younger kids. I am keeping dd in t-ball and U6 soccer as long as they will let me, because she is socially behind kids her age. Teammanship and taking turns, paying attention, etc. are difficult for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of Old 08-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
I don't have a real opinion on this subject ... a lot of games are rough on kids ... but kids are tough ... even if they weren't playing an organized sport, I'm certain they would find ways to knock heads with another kid or break a bone.
The bigger issue for me is pushing little kids who should be playing with their friends into the intense structured schedules of organized sports. Please don't take that as a statement that kids shouldn't be involved in team sports ... I think there are lots of benefits to it as long as the child enjoys it, isn't being pushed, and isn't losing out on other valuable or important activities because of it.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#3 of Old 08-13-2008, 11:47 AM

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
I'll chime in on this since my oldest is in his third year of football. He plays Pop Warner and their beginning age is 5. At that age, they can play either flag or tackle. My son started at 5 and played flag for two years. He is now 7 and will be playing tackle for the first time and so far, he loves it. He loved flag too but was ready to move on.

My opinion on football at young ages is that they should start at the flag level. 5 year olds shouldn't be playing tackle, in my opinion. DS is playing Tiny Mite which is for 5-7 year olds and there are 5 year olds on his team that have never played before. To me, they need a year or two of flag to get use to the game, learn the rules, learn the positions, etc. before learning to hit. But that's just me (& DH too since he also thought DS should start in flag).

I think if your child is interested in the game and wants to play, 5 is a good age. I do think 4 is still too young but I think waiting until middle school is too late as football is an agressive sport and kids that age are just gonna want to get out there and HIT without learning properly how to do it, and that may result in more injuries than if they'd learned correctly at younger ages.
#4 of Old 08-13-2008, 12:20 PM

Likes Earned: 10
Around here it is 9 years old. I think thats a good age.
There isn't anything for small kids except soccer.
Baseball starts at 5 too.

~Robyn~
~Mommy to~
Austin & Dylan

Remember, You don't stop laughing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop laughing..
#5 of Old 08-13-2008, 01:50 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 25
Likes Given: 12
The competitiveness of the sport really depends on your coach. So far, we've had only really laid back "let's learn the game and have fun" coaches. This fall's soccer coach, we will see. She was taking about winning yesterday and that bothered me. They don't keep score at the U6 level. I don't really like all this winning loosing talk. I think at the youngest ages, it should be about having fun, learning the game and making friends. Although, baseball is considered more competitive than soccer around here, we had such an awesome set of coaches. They were all about let's be a team and learn to love baseball. Our head coach was a dream coach. Any kid starts talking about winning or being the best and he was all over that.

I know four seems really young to start playing soccer (or other organized sports), but for the homeschooled or stay at home preschooler it is a blessing. Lovemycrew is right. By the time kids are 10 or 12, the other kids are very competitive on their own. They don't want to play with a kid who doesn't know the game. The coaches are all like, "Ugh, who wants to take this kid who is ten and doesn't know the game?"

At the t-ball/U6 level, the kids don't really have that much focus. Keeping them heading to the right goal or not throwing water at each other in the dugout is a major challenge, but most of the kids seem to really have fun. Sometimes, it's nice for kids to learn how to pay attention, teammanship, and good manners outside the home/church/school setting. My dd is a sports nut. She loves sports, not because of winning or being the best, but because she makes a lot of friends and has fun. For her sports are such a blessing, they give her a way to fit in when that is so hard for her.

Girl Scouts will do that for her too, but there is more time for conversation in scouts and that can be the kiss of death for her as far as making friends is concerned. She really needs that structure.
#6 of Old 08-13-2008, 05:29 PM

Likes Earned: 22
Drew did soccer at 5 in the league around here. The emphasis was on learning the game, having a good time and being a team. They didn't keep score, officially, but every kid on the team KNEW the score, I can tell you! I was the coach and Rick was my assistant. It was a great lerarning experience for him. (Mostly we learned he has NO coordination in sports! LOL!) I think starting them young is fine as long as the emphasis is on having fun and learning the game, not winning. If you aren't having fun, then you shouldn't play - period.

Football is HUGE in Texas and they start at 4/5 here in PeeWee Football, which is flag. (Drew wasn't interested.) They don't play tackle until 7 or 8, I think.

Baseball starts at 4/5 with T-Ball.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#7 of Old 08-13-2008, 06:23 PM

Likes Earned: 0
I think 5 is a good age, and I don't have a problem with it being tackle football. Baseball scares me more than football to be honest.

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page