Getting a Tattoo while breastfeeding. - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
Forum Jump: 

#1 of Old 06-16-2008, 05:00 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Well not while in the actual act

I've already researched it and read up on the La Leche League website:
http://www.llli.org/FAQ/tattoos.html

Basically, there's no danger of the ink getting into my milk, but there's always the risk of infection from getting an unsafe tattoo. Although I'm not to worried about that because I've got a great parlor, and I already know I'm not allergic, as I have two already.

I thought I would get some other opinions on the matter and see if anyone has any experience in this.

Thanks.
#2 of Old 06-16-2008, 09:35 PM

Likes Earned: 25
Likes Given: 12
#3 of Old 06-16-2008, 10:19 PM - Thead Starter

I plan on getting something to commemorate Connor, a stylized blue star/star cluster w/his name under it on my wrist.
#4 of Old 06-17-2008, 06:05 AM

Likes Earned: 22
As long as you don't get it infected (and I'm sure you won't if you've been thru it before), then I don't see a problem with it.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#5 of Old 06-17-2008, 09:37 AM - Thead Starter

Well the tattoo parlor made the desicion for me, they prefer to wait untill I'm done. Oh well, I'll get it when I'm done breastfeeding then.
#6 of Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

I didn't know tattoo parlors had such stringent policies for pregnant and nursing women.
#7 of Old 06-17-2008, 12:22 PM - Thead Starter

They're smarter than they look, they want to be safe
#8 of Old 06-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Special Member

Yeah...they are covering their butts....I however, wouldn't have mentioned it and just had it done, as long as I researched it and thought it was safe...
#9 of Old 06-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Oooh Bridget, good idea (if you just want to get it done!)
#10 of Old 06-17-2008, 02:55 PM - Thead Starter

Well the issue would have been that my son most likely would have come with me, hah!
#11 of Old 08-16-2008, 04:44 PM

I plan on getting one done in the very near future, and I don't plan on weaning anytime soon. That's too bad they won't do it for you though.
#12 of Old 10-13-2008, 09:28 PM

My tattoo artist said he doesn't tattoo on pregnant or breastfeeding women because you're body is already going through so much, that healing from the tattoo can be too much extra stress on the body. I'm dying to get some more work done, but he said no. My session would be about 4 hours though. I guess I can use the next 2 years to save up money!
#13 of Old 10-15-2008, 07:45 PM

Likes Earned: 22
Well, better safe than sorry. You never know what permanent kinds of changes your body has been thru after giving birth. You could now have a reaction when you didn't before, or it might take too long for it to heal. Most of the good parlors try their best to keep their customers safe.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#14 of Old 08-24-2009, 11:06 AM

Yeah its better to be on the safe side. Wait for sometime
#15 of Old 07-03-2010, 07:53 PM

I commend you for waiting. I am currently breastfeeding and have a tattoo all picked out and ready to go. But my child is much more important than rushing to get inked up and risking her getting an infection. I completely trust my tattoo artist who has done several pieces on me, but you never know how your body will react. So i will be waiting until i am done breastfeeding. It's not like the pattern i chose is going to change itself. Good Luck if you decide not to wait!
#16 of Old 07-14-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwfan71 View Post
My tattoo artist said he doesn't tattoo on pregnant or breastfeeding women because you're body is already going through so much, that healing from the tattoo can be too much extra stress on the body. I'm dying to get some more work done, but he said no. My session would be about 4 hours though. I guess I can use the next 2 years to save up money!
Well, there is actually a point there. You should be thankful that the tattoo artist cares and gives much concern about your body. Good luck though! I have plans to have a tattoo also.
#17 of Old 07-19-2011, 10:42 PM

My husband is actually a tattoo artist and did one for me while breastfeeding, though I can beyond trust him on cleanliness.  You should be fine as long as your body is done with the initial childbirth recovery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page