Co-Sleeping - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
Forum Jump: 

#1 of Old 01-24-2001, 07:54 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Just wondered if anyone else out there practices co-sleeping? We sort of fell into it with our first child and I am trying to decide if we should do it again with our second.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of Old 01-24-2001, 09:27 PM
Special Member

I kind of fell into it myself. My husband was stationed overseas from the time our daughter was 2 months until she was 14 months. I used to put her in my bed because I was lonely and because I was terrified if something would happen that I couldn't get to her quick enough. New mommy stuff, really.

When hubby came home, she was only too glad to sleep in her own crib. When she was 2 1/2, she crawled back into our bed and hasn't left since (she's 4 1/2 now and takes up way too much space!)

When our son was born, he started out in a bassinet beside the bed. When he outgrew that, he went straight to his crib with no problems. If he's having a bad night, I'll put him in bed with us, but he actually sleeps better on his own.

Bottom line is I really enjoy the closeness of having the family all together. However, I also enjoy cuddling with my husband, among other things, and that is nearly impossible with little ones in the bed. Too bad you can't have your cake and eat it too. I would love for them to sleep with us "occasionally", on my terms. But since that doesn't happen, I'd personally suggest not starting any bad habits that may be hard to break.

Not alot help, am I? LOL
#3 of Old 02-05-2001, 06:35 PM

I had read a book called The Family Bed before we had #1 and thought we would try it. It worked great especially for those nighttime feedings. I really enjoyed it with both of my children and am looking forward to doing it with our 3rd. We moved each of the others when they were big enough for a toddler bed, and after making a fuss about a "big" bed they each moved relatively well. We did get a lot (and I mean a lot) of flack from friends and family but there is no other way for us. Good Luck.

#4 of Old 02-06-2001, 09:50 AM
amy

I firmly am now a believer in co-sleeping. I have a 6 month old son and I work full time. I believe co-sleeping has helped me to be able to continue nursing. Nighttime feedings are wonderful and I can make up for a lot of the cuddle time I miss during the day!
#5 of Old 02-06-2001, 08:43 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

I love sleeping with my two-year old. And I would really love to continue the family bed with the new baby once it arrives. It always gave me such piece of mind to have my son next to me. It was easier with the night time feedings as well. My husband and I would like to move our son to a toddler bed, but we aren't quite sure how to move him there. Right now, our son starts out in his crib and generally ends up in bed with us after midnight. I think this works well because it gives my husband and I our cuddle time. I had thought about starting him out in the toddler bed, but I don't want him wandering around the house at night. How do you deal with that?
#6 of Old 02-06-2001, 09:12 PM

When we moved our first co-sleeper, we placed his toddler bed on the other side of the wall from us so we could hear him well. He did get up a few times at first, but we were so worried that we heard him immediately and went to check on him. After a couple of weeks, (and it seemed like an eternity) he was actually sleeping more soundly in his own bed than with us. The second one was even easier. She always was more independent and was happy to move. Hope this helps some. Most of all, don't be afraid to try to move him, he may like it. (And you could try him in a toddler bed in your room first if it would make either of you feel better.)
#7 of Old 02-06-2001, 09:36 PM
Special Member

We started out putting our daughter in a toddler bed at the foot of our bed when it was time to move her to her own. She felt like a big girl for sleeping in her own bed, but yet she was still close enough to mommy and daddy.

If you have problems with a wandering toddler, just shut the bedroom door or put up a gate at the door.

Hope this helps!
#8 of Old 02-07-2001, 01:57 AM

My daughter is 11 months old and she has been sleeping
with us. A lot of the time we end up going downstairs
on the futon we have too. I know our families think we
are strange, but she was my third and the first one I
nursed and at first it was a survival thing. My husband
was going to school full time and working so he just
wasn't able to help at night. We come downstairs if
she's fussy, has a cold or if I am feeling bad. My
boys are upstairs and our bedroom so my daughter and I
would just do our thing downstairs and not interupt
anyone.

I realize now it's getting time to wean her to her
crib, which is in our room, but I wasn't sure how
to do it. Reading your posts really helped. I am
not sure I want to rush her being independent yet
though. She's our last baby and I am feeling kind
of sad about her growing so quickly!!! Plus, I missed
breastfeeding my first two and I really enjoy it with
my daughter.

#9 of Old 02-17-2001, 06:30 PM

Well, I go back and forth on this one!!
At first I was so adamant about not co-sleeping, and now after 7 months of waking up every hour, I just gave in. It has worked good, except that Pierce still wakes up and wants to sleep on his belly. Well, there is not enough room and if I put him in his crib, he wakes up. So I like to share, but I would rather him sleep in his crib. He now only naps if he is in our bed. But they are only young for such a short amount of time, I will probably just co-sleep until the toddler bed!!
I also get alot of flak from family, but it is my family, and my motto is whatever works!!
#10 of Old 02-17-2001, 09:38 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Family can be a problem and I am not really sure why because they aren't the ones who have to sleep with our children! Gavin will be two next weekend and I have been really talking up the "big boy bed." He seems agreeable to the idea. When our son was younger we had our bed on the floor and his mattress next to mine. Now we are back to our regular bed and we just put him in the middle. I think we will probably start him off in our room in the toddler bed. Putting the bed at the foot of ours sounds like a good idea and I will try it.
#11 of Old 02-19-2001, 03:08 PM

What a relief. I have had my two year old sleeping with us since she was born. Matter of fact, she wouldn't sleep at the hospital, not in the nursery and when I did bring her home, I tried the bassinet. Nothing seemed to work. At that time, I was not getting much help from my husband because she was a newborn and it was like he was scared and a little lazy. Since I had started labor on Sunday, they put me in the hospital on Monday, and didn't give me anything for pain until 5 am Tuesday morning, with no sleep for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, then Thursday was Christmas Eve, I had to play Santa at home for my 10 yr. old and finally after everything was said and done on Friday, I gave up. The only way I was going to get any sleep was to make a pallet for the two of us on the floor because she was my first child ( my 10 yr old is my stepchild who lives with us) I was scared of sleeping in the bed for fear of her rolling off, or me rolling on her or her suffocating. Then it just became normal. That was the only way the two of us could get any sleep. I love cuddling with her. I am due next week and I plan to start this one in a bassinet and then the crib. Really just for fear that something might happen to him if he sleeps with us. I am already worried about how Sarah is going to deal with a new baby. She is spoiled rotten. My family thinks it's the most horribliest thing. Between her sleeping with us and me still nursing her past two. But she's only this little once and I cherish everyday. I also work full time, so it was convenient too. I don't know if this makes sense but I just wanted to say thanks. I don't ever hear anything good about co sleeping and I love it.
#12 of Old 02-19-2001, 03:19 PM
Special Member

Well, you always here not to get children attached to this b/c they can get addicted to it. I had Alexis in her bassinet by the bedside at first so that I could get her out to nurse. Once I was no longer breastfeeding I tried leaving her close but not right next to me. Same room though. I just kept something in front of my bedroom door so if someone entered I would hear them, you know??? It is a really big new mother fear from what I have learned. Now she is in the crib but if she wakes up earlier than her feeding time, which is 6:00am usually or 7:00am then I put her in bed with me. This happens more when she is sick, you know??? I still keep something in front of the door but I think that I sleep more comfortably without even if I worry a little bit I know I will hear someone if they come in b/c she is in my room.
Diana
#13 of Old 02-19-2001, 05:23 PM

This discussion has helped me so much! I can't
thank you all enough. I couldn't talk to my Mom
or Mother in Law, they would think I was crazy,
and I just wasn't sure about it. Emily is turning
1 on Sunday and I am much more relaxed now about
her sleeping with us. I have an extra twin bed
and I am thinking of rearranging my bedroom and
putting that next to our bed-I have to measure
because it's not a real big room. If she has a
bad night I can sleep with her, if she's ok
then I have a guard rail thingy I can put on the
bed too. I have a great crib, but this just seems
to make more sense for me to actually get some
sleep and keep nursing longer.

Plus, she's my baby and she growing up way
too fast!!!
#14 of Old 02-19-2001, 05:28 PM
Special Member

I am glad that you finally have been able to come to a decision...best of luck. Me, I live with my parents still so she has to be in my room...I do not know what I am going to do when Jamie and I get married...if she is in another room it is going to be HARD!!! I am worried about that already...and it is a year and a half away. All I know is that I would also LOVE to have my own nursery.... That would be great. But everytime I stay over at Jamie's his mom puts Alexis in the baby bed but somehow she ends up in my bed....and that is just b/c I have a monitor but I am still scared.....
#15 of Old 02-19-2001, 08:56 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

I was also SO scared when Gavin came home from the hospital. I was worried he would quit breathing or there would be a fire...you know how good a mother's imagination is! We slept on the floor together a lot a first. I really tried hard to NOT have him in our bed...you always hear how bad it is...but he would nurse and wouldn't go back to sleep unless he was with me and I was so tired so I just put him in bed with me and he has been there ever since. It was so much easier to just roll over and nurse him at night. You learn not to talk about it with your pediatrician, because most will not agree with it. I am very lucky in that my family is pretty supportive. My mother in law is a nurse midwife and is all for natural parenting. It was her encouragement that really helped me decide to stay with it.
#16 of Old 02-19-2001, 11:44 PM

Everytime that I speak with my grandmother I have to lie about having my son in bed with me. She thinks that it is too dangerous for him. Me on the other hand... I find it a lot easier for him to be next to me since I am nursing. I don't have to crawl out of bed in the middle of the night to get my son only to bring him in bed with me anyways. :-)
#17 of Old 02-20-2001, 12:06 PM

Thanks again. It is so encouraging to hear that others are doing it too. Ped. are definetly down on co sleeping or atleast mine is. Everytime I take Sarah to the doctor, he comments on her not being used to other people because she is never happy about being there.
#18 of Old 05-05-2016, 05:54 AM

Parents should be educated about risks and benefits of co-sleeping and unsafe co-sleeping practices and should be allowed to make their own informed decision. The co-sleeping: is there a need to share a bed? Find out here: http://motherhow.com/a-co-sleeping-w...t-appropriate/
#19 of Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM

I never did so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page