"I already have one of these!" Teaching children How to Respond Politely... - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
Forum Jump: 

#1 of Old 11-29-2001, 09:09 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Question
You just attended a friend's child's birthday party and was shocked by the responses the child gave as he opened his gifts. "I already have one of these." "This isn't the one I wanted." After you were done judging this child, You suddenly realized that the holiday is fast approaching, and realize you own daughter/son would be just as capable of making some of these comments! How can you prevent this rudeness from happening?

Think about it
Children are not born knowing how to politely respond to gifts, and in their childlike honesty can say some pretty rude things. The easiest way to prevent this is through teaching.

Teach
Have a training session prior to the expected gift giving (before Grandma arrives at your house). Review the possible situations. "What would you say if you get something you already have - like another Monopoly game?" "What should you say if you get something you don't like at all?" And even, "What should you say if it's something you like?" It's amazing what wonderful results occur with a bit of practice.

Give private corrections
Even though your child's comment appears rude and thoughtless, it never helps to embarrass your child in front of the gift-giver. If an impolite comment is made, simply excuse yourself and your child, go to a private place and point out the error. Suggest something nice to say, and return to your guest allowing your child to save face.

Have you been doing enough training?
If your child isn't aware that his comments are inappropriate it's a sign that you could do a bit more training about manners. This situation may be an indication that there are other areas where your child could benefit from education about appropriate manners.

(Excerpted from NTC/Contemporary Publishing Group Inc. from Perfect Parenting, The Dictionary of 1,000 Parenting Tips by Elizabeth Pantley, copyright 1999)

~~Sandra~~
A preemie's pooh to Michael 12-01-99 and wife to Timothy Lee
~~Visit Michael's webpage~~
www.babiesonline.com/babies/t/tigerpup

Click here to read my Parenting Journal
where I discuss what life is like being a parent to premature baby now a toddler with special needs and the affects it has on our family.

Visit Rainy Day Activites for nursery rhymes, songs, arts & crafts, games and more to entertain the little ones.

For shared experiences, stories and poems that celebrate the joy of parenting our Special Kids come by Children with Special Needs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of Old 08-07-2016, 11:42 PM

I read this article because it is not including worthless information. The author clearly describes the information. Thank you for sharing this types article. I am waiting for next article. This is very informative site.
http://www.apass4sure.net/1z0-415-vce.html
http://www.apass4sure.net/HPE0-J77-vce.html
#3 of Old 11-27-2016, 04:28 AM

I am a student and currently studying Forensic Science, but this information helped me in one of my recent projects I was working on. Evaluate Approaches To Self Managed Learning. I just want to say thanks for this post and hoping to see more in the future like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page