The Passion - Page 4 - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
Forum Jump: 

#91 of Old 03-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
I read this today and thought of this thread
My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness" 2 Corinthians 12:9

In my opinion this says that in times of weakness, God is at his greatest. Hopefully at our weakest moments we will be able to draw strength from Him and grow closer to Him.0

Brenda .. you should see it .. it is wonderful!
#92 of Old 03-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Boy..its been a long time since I have posted here but when I saw this thread I thought I should share some reasons why some Christians are NOT supporting nor will EVER see this movie...below is one opinion...

"Five Reasons Not to Go See The Passion of Christ" by Pastor Andrew J. Webb

"hould Evangelicals be supporting The Passion of Christ and endorsing its use as an Evangelism tool? Is this really the best evangelization opportunity we've had since the actual death of Jesus?
"1) Its Origins: Even though Evangelicals are promoting The Passion of Christ, it is not an Evangelical movie. As Mel Gibson, a devout Roman Catholic put it so well; 'It reflects my beliefs.' The Passion of Christ is a Roman Catholic movie, made by a Roman Catholic director, with Roman Catholic theological advisers....
"Caviezel [played Jesus] recalled telling Gibson, 'I think it's very important that we have mass every day - at least I need that to play this guy.'"[6]

"2) Its Script: The script for The Passion of Christ contains much extrabiblical material, and is based in part on a mystical Roman Catholic devotional work by an 18th century German Nun (Sister Anne Emmerich) entitled The Dolorous Passion of Christ. Gibson stated on EWTN that reading Emmerich's book was his primary inspiration for making the movie. By introducing extra-biblical elements, not only does The Passion of Christ change some of the theological emphases of the Biblical account of Christ's crucifixion, but it will also create a false impression amongst the very 'seekers' that Evangelicals are trying to reach, that things were said and done at the crucifixion that did not actually happen.

"For Evangelicals, who would feel very uncomfortable with a version of the Bible that put words into the mouth of Christ that He never spoke, to endorse a movie that does the very same thing seems hopelessly inconsistent. Protestants traditionally rejected the Apocrypha precisely because these books were fabricated and contained inauthentic material, despite the fact that these books might have been useful for evangelism. For modern evangelicals to embrace a vehicle that is inauthentic in order to achieve evangelistic ends indicates a serious decline in faithfulness.
"The script for The Passion of Christ was translated into Aramaic and Latin by Father William Fulco, an old friend of Mel Gibson's. This was not done for reasons of making it more authentic. The language decisions in The Passion of Christ were made for theological reasons: 'It is crucial to realize that the images and language at the heart of 'The Passion of the Christ' flow directly out of Gibson's personal dedication to Catholicism in one of its most traditional and mysterious forms - the 16th-century Latin Mass. ...
"'The goal of the movie is to shake modern audiences by brashly juxtaposing the 'sacrifice of the cross with the sacrifice of the altar - which is the same thing,' said Gibson. This ancient union of symbols and sounds has never lost its hold on him. There is, he stressed, 'a lot of power in these dead languages.'...
"The script of The Passion of Christ was specifically intended to link the crucifixion of Christ with what Roman Catholics believe is the re-sacrificing of Christ that occurs in the mass." Emphasis added

"3) Its Theology: The fact that Evangelicals have uncritically endorsed it speaks volumes about how far the Evangelical Protestant understanding of Christ's death and the related subject of Justification have slipped since the Reformation. In Roman Catholic theology the intense physical suffering of Christ's Crucifixion is the focus along with the emphasis on physical sacrifice....

"The theology of the bible however points out to us that the grand importance of Christ's crucifixion lay not in His physical suffering, but in His once for all propitiation of God's wrath (1 John 4:10). Lest we forget, the greatest torment that Christ experienced on the cross was not caused by the nails driven into His flesh, but in His being made 'sin for us' and vicariously suffering the righteous punishment of the Father in our place. Even the worst physical torments inflicted by the Sanhedrin and the Romans upon Jesus were nothing by comparison to the anguish of having the sins of all the elect imputed to Him and making full satisfaction for them. Satisfying the justice of the Romans on a cross was comparatively easy, thousands of condemned men and women including Spartacus and several of the Apostles did that, but only Christ could satisfy the justice of God.
"Also central to the Christian Gospel, but missing from The Passion of Christ, is the concept of Christ's active obedience. Christ not only died for the sins of His sheep on the cross but He established their righteousness through His perfect obedience to God's Law....
"...use of extra-biblical material, emphasis on physical suffering, exaggeration of the role of Mary, and explicitly Roman Catholic theology should not surprise us, however, as these are all hallmarks of the primary inspiration for this movie: The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ."

"4) Its Medium: Many Evangelical Pastors are hailing movies like The Passion of Christ as part of a new and better way of spreading the Gospel:
"...'Churches used to communicate by having a little lecture time on Sunday morning. People don't interact that way anymore. Here's a chance for us to use a modern-day technique to communicate the truth of the Bible," the Rev. Engel said."12
"It is indeed true that we live in a highly visual and increasingly anti-literate society that places a premium on sound bites and easily assimilated visual imagery, but does this mean that we should abandon preaching in favor of using movies or dramatic presentations? ...

"The means that God has ordained for the transmission of the Gospel, was neither drama, imagery, nor even "lectures" - it is preaching. Preaching involves the communication of the Gospel in a way that patiently convinces, rebukes, exhorts, and teaches (2 Timothy 4:2-4). The bible teaches us the awesome importance of preaching and why it cannot be replaced by another medium....
"God does not command us to produce dramatic presentations of Gospel themes, He commands us to preach. Though this option was freely available to the Apostles as they brought the Gospel to cities with amphitheaters and a long tradition of using the dramatic arts to convey religious and moral themes to the populace they did not do so. The wisdom of the Apostolic methodology has been borne out by the fact that it was when the Gospel was being transmitted primarily by plays and symbolism that true Christianity began to sink under the weight of superstition. We are in danger of returning to precisely that state of affairs by reviving the teaching methodology of the medieval church. Even though it was produced in the 21st century, The Passion of Christ is identical in all critical aspects to the Passion Plays of the Roman Catholic Church in the Middle Ages."

"5) Its Main Character: Billy Graham in his endorsement of The Passion of Christ said, 'Every time I preach or speak about the Cross, the things I saw on the screen will be on my heart and mind.' This is unfortunately part of the problem with all visual representations of Jesus. Although we may intend for them only to have a role in teaching, they inevitably become part of our worship and adoration. As a result of seeing this film James Caviezel, the "Jesus" of The Passion of Christ, will become the figure countless thousands if not millions of people think of when they worship Jesus Christ. To do this is to fall into the trap of changing "the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man" (Romans 1:23) and to violate the Second Commandment.
"The Second reason why all visual representations of Jesus are lies is that they can never hope to represent the glory of Christ in His true nature.... While this may not appear to be a problem to us, the separation of Christ's manhood from His deity is actually a grave heresy called Nestorianism. ...
"For the first four centuries of its existence the church did not use pictures of Jesus as an aid to evangelism. This was despite the fact that they were bringing the gospel to highly visual cultures that had always used imagery to convey religious ideas. The initial movements towards making pictures of Christ were initially strongly opposed, and the practice was formally condemned by the church as late as 753 AD. Unfortunately, once they had taken hold of the public imagination, the practice of making visible representations of Christ proved difficult if not impossible to eradicate and gradually, pictures and dramatic representations of Jesus became quite commonplace in the church. At the time of the Reformation, Protestants overwhelmingly rejected the practice of making images of Jesus as a clear violation of the Second Commandment."[6]

You can contact Pastor Webb at info@providencepca.com

http://providencepca.com/essays/passion.html

http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/04/passion.htm

To those who have seen it...I am so glad that it was positive experience for you!

I know I could not stomach it and being pregnant, I am way too hormonal.

#93 of Old 03-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
I will be seeing it with my Mom this coming Saturday afternoon. My Mom said that there was a lady who saw the movie that came up to the pastor of the church my parents attend after one of the services last Sunday and wanted to become a Christian...so she did.
#94 of Old 03-06-2004, 03:48 AM
Addicted Member

Hi there Kim it has been a long time since you posted here. Just wondering what your views on this is? You can answer if you like.
I found what you posted very interesting and I even agreed with some of it.
#95 of Old 03-06-2004, 10:43 AM
Special Member

I went to see the movie on Wednesday with my mom. This is one of the most amazing movies i have ever seen. It touched me so much. I was crying from the time they were whipping jesus, to the end of the movie. It was just so intense, dramatic and emotional. It was amazing to see men in the crowd crying, eveyone was crying.
I never really had a sense of the suffering that Jesus went through in the last 12 hours of his life and this movie made it so real. I seen on tv the other day, a lady coming out of the movie and they interviewed her and she said, it is just so sad to see that someone could do that to another human being. And that is all i could think of when i was watching him be tortured.
And also, it is a story of a mother and a child, which really affected me in another way, as a parent.
I would recomend everyone see it, it is incredible. I came out feeling so different after it, so hard to explain, but I just felt different.
#96 of Old 03-06-2004, 10:44 AM
Special Member

That is just how it affected me Jenn .. hard to put into words but the relationship between Mary and Jesus has never been portrayed so well.
#97 of Old 03-08-2004, 03:09 AM
Addicted Member

That is so neat. That is what I am hoping to feel like when I come out of the movie, is a better understanding of Christ and his love for us to go through such a ordeal. To be closer and realize that I need him more in my life then I know. I can not wait now to see this movie.
#98 of Old 03-08-2004, 08:45 AM
Special Member

The movie REALLY shows you the internal struggle that Jesus had to go through also. Especially in the very first scene!
#99 of Old 03-09-2004, 05:19 AM
Special Member

Everything I've seen, heard or read about this movie makes me want to see it more. Even if I have to take a bus or walk this weekend I think I'll go see it. I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page