Has anyone ever dyed fabric? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
Forum Jump: 

#1 of Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 AM - Thead Starter
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Post Has anyone ever dyed fabric?

I have two pieces of my costume that are different reds and I was thinking I could just toss them in some Rit Dye to make them a closer match. Is it really that simple? What am I getting myself in to? Oh and is it REALLY ok to use it in a washing machine? ... I dont' have one of my own so I'd be using my boyfriend's and I'd hate to ruin it.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06

Last edited by Admin; 06-17-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of Old 08-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 0
I never have but my thought is if they are different to start with if you toss them both in they will still be different since you started with different shades. I would think you'd have to do one @ a time as they made need different amounts of dye.

Just my though - I've never dyed though so maybe someone else can come along and help.
#3 of Old 08-26-2010, 10:03 AM

Likes Earned: 25
Likes Given: 12
Yeah, it is pretty easy. Red dye tends to smell bad, so do it on a day you can keep the house open. Some fabrics will not dye - ie synthetics. Cotton and all natural fabrics usually will. They may dye to the same color, but one could dye to a darker red than the other or they could look exactly alike. I can't tell you which without seeing the fabric. Use salt with the dye to improve colorfastness. A cup full of vinegar in the rinse will also improve colorfastness.

When you dye in the washer, the agitator must keep stirring the clothes for the entire dying time recommended on the packaging. You will have to stay nearby to reset the washer as the wash cycle runs down. Incomplete dying time will not produce the colors you want and may rinse out, so it is important to leave the clothes in the dye for the entire time. Agitating the clothes ensures the dye works evenly through the fabric.

Once you are finished dry the clothes in the dryer on the hottest setting allowed by the fabric to set the dye. Once the fabric is dry, the dye is permanent, but some color may come out in the wash the next few times you wash it, so wash separately for a while after dying.

To clean the washer, wipe down with bleach. Run an empty large load with bleach through the washer. Ensure that all of the dye is out of the washer before washing clothes again. Because if you don't you will inadvertently dye the next load of clothes, too.

Dh and I have done tons of dying and tie dying over the years. It's relatively easy, but a thorough clean up afterwards is essential.

#4 of Old 08-26-2010, 10:12 AM

Do not dye the clothes in separate dye baths. Not all dye packages are the exact same color or strength. If you dye in different baths, they will not match exactly which is why people who knit always check the dye lot when buying yarn to get the exact same color.
#5 of Old 08-26-2010, 11:12 AM - Thead Starter
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Both of the items are rayon satin which I know is supposed to be harder to dye than cotton but considering I only need them to be a "closer match" than they are and that they will only be worn one time, I'm thinking it's worth a try. Also, one of the pieces will only be visible above other parts of the costume in small areas.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#6 of Old 08-26-2010, 11:18 AM

good luck! I have not tried to dye rayon satin. It may not take the dye at all or it may be patchy. Or it could work.
#7 of Old 08-26-2010, 12:09 PM

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 0
Sounds iffy, but what have you got to lose? Especially if only part of one piece wil be showing. Most people won't be looking that closely, anyway.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland

Tags
frontpage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page