Allergic reaction: To Tequila? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
Forum Jump: 

#1 of Old 04-27-2008, 08:15 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 0
Wondering if anyone on the boards have any allergies to alcohol?

There are some alcohol's that my body reacts really strangely to.
Last night after Dylan's birthday party, I took Dylan (with Mary and Melissa) to our favorite mexican restaurant and decided to have a strawberry margarita. I got like a medium sized one (just a good size.. not small and certainly not huge) within about 4 drinks of the margarita, my entire body itched, my face was fire engine red, and my lips felt like they were swelling. I didn't feel good at all. I asked the waiter to take the drink and toss it because I was so ill from it (he then took it off the bill because I was so ill- which I didn't expect at all. that was an $8 drink!)

I drank about 2 glasses of water to try to flush my system, but was just ill the rest of the night.

I notice that some beers do this to me as well, and the last time I had a margarita I reacted similarly, but not nearly as bad.

Do you think this is a true allergy? Is there a way to possibly get tested??

~Robyn~
~Mommy to~
Austin & Dylan

Remember, You don't stop laughing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop laughing..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of Old 04-27-2008, 09:17 PM

Likes Earned: 0
Could you be allergic to strawberries? I don't know. I have never heard of this before. Are you on any medication that could be mixing with the alcohol and causing the reaction?

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#3 of Old 04-27-2008, 10:00 PM - Thead Starter

Definitely not allergic to strawberries. (Thank goodness, they're one of my favorites.)

Not on any medication either.

Thats why I find it so funny, allergic to alcohol?
Atleast I'm gaurenteed not to be an alcoholic like my Mother and Grandfather.

~Robyn~
~Mommy to~
Austin & Dylan

Remember, You don't stop laughing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop laughing..
#4 of Old 04-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Special Member

I would suspect the strawberries before the tequila, too. Though, if beer does it, I don't know.

Have you tried any other type of alcohol, like wine? I know a few people who have an allergy to sulfites, which pretty much covers anything that's been fermented - beer, wine, spirits, etc.

You could probably go to your GP and ask about it - maybe they can refer you to an allergist to test for food allergies?
#5 of Old 04-27-2008, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
I've never reacted quite that badly but alcohol in general always makes my lips swell, itch, and turn a bright red.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#6 of Old 04-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Read this... http://www.chowhound.com/topics/303255 There are no real answers but I think you'll find it interesting... especially the parts about Asian Flush.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#7 of Old 04-28-2008, 12:33 AM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
I found out the hard way that I am allergic to Rye. I ended up with alcohol poisoning...and I only drank maybe 4 ounces......

My body swelled up like a balloon. I had a 5 day hang over and don't remember any of the night. It was bad....and while it happened to me while I was young and "stupid".....I usually drank much more than that (and the guys I was with knew that too.....heck I was in the military...we all drank all the time)
#8 of Old 04-28-2008, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz109
OK, can I be a smartass for a moment?

I'm no doctor, but I recommend you not drink alcohol

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#9 of Old 04-28-2008, 05:00 AM
Addicted Member

My Grandfather was allergic to all alcohol. It knocked him unconcious and he woke up with hives, needless to say my grandfather didn't drink
#10 of Old 04-28-2008, 07:08 AM - Thead Starter

Most wine's do it too.

I can drink my share of Michelob Ultra though! (Trust me..... )

I think I might make an appt with my GO to see if he can refer me for food allergies.. Would alcohol show up as like something like wheat, or yeast???

~Robyn~
~Mommy to~
Austin & Dylan

#11 of Old 04-28-2008, 11:18 AM

Location: The Funny Farm, Where life is beautiful all the time...
It depends on the base of what you are drinking. Personally, I would look at what's added to the alcohol, not just alcohol as the issue. Is it wheat based? Rice based? Are hops the issue? You really need to know what is in the drinks that you are consuming, that way you can find a common allergen and avoid it.

Speak with your MD and tell him/her what happened and see what he/she thinks. I would probably either not drink or drink the things that I know I don't have issues with until then.

Kim
DH Chris 8-6-94 **15 Years! **

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." Warren Buffett
Mom to Lauren 10/26/04 & Ryan 4/6/06 MC 3/22/07 Comet (10-5-09... RIP Bubba) Visit me @ GENERAL HEALTH ISSUES &...
#12 of Old 04-28-2008, 12:23 PM - Thead Starter

Oh I'm NOT drinking margaritas ever again. You can bet on that!

I just wondered how 'normal' it was?
Because I think it's weird.

Elaine, Thanks for that info, That was really interesting!!

~Robyn~
~Mommy to~
Austin & Dylan

#13 of Old 03-01-2011, 07:26 AM

I'm a first year Chemistry student doing my own pondering about tequilla. The bar tender last night took a little too good of care of my friend and I've never seen her like that. I performed a lab experiment a few months ago involving Calcium Oxalate Monohydrate....naturally present in agave, rubarb, and is the material kidney stones are formed by. I theorize that like MSG or gluten allergies, some people are more tolerant to the injestion of this compound than others. Your case sounds like it could be a histamine allergy. A doctor would be more apt to inform you. They can certainly test for allergies.

#14 of Old 04-02-2011, 08:14 PM

i know this is an older question, but recently i have experienced allergic reactions to different wines and beers, it acts like a seasonal allergy such that i get headaches, runny nose, congestion headache.

i hadnt had tequila in a while and today i had about 3 drinks with tequila. a few hours after drinking, i had the same reaction, and so now i dont know what im allergic to, as tequila isnt fermented right?

you had said it might be a histamine allergy, how so? are there other ingredients in tequila that it shares with wine and beer that i could be allergic to?

#15 of Old 07-28-2011, 08:06 PM

I imagine that there is something in the alcohol that you are allergic to, rather than alcohol itself.  I could be wrong, but there is rye, fresh yeast, etc that is in different drinks that you may be allergic to.  And, yes, itching and swelling is usually an allergic reaction, versus a hyperractivity.

#16 of Old 08-08-2011, 04:11 AM

Likes Earned: 11

great.

#17 of Old 09-09-2012, 09:25 PM

I have an adverse reaction aka really red face, chest and upper back- to gold tequilas only.  I have found that most gold tequilas have been put through a charred whisky barrel aging process.  I am also gluten intolerant, so that is the supposed reason.  With that being said, I just had a  corn vodka "Rain" mixed with agave nectar, tea, and stevia with the same reaction as gold tequila.  I am thinking that there may be something included with corn or the tannins of tea and agave.  I have no issues with silver tequilas, or corn vodkas in general.   I have even mixed champagne with gin, and had a white tequila margarita before the mix, and had no reactions.  The only thing I can think of is alcohol mixed with agave.  I hope this helps.(oh, and I feel like I can breathe fire)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page