Birthmark just showing up??? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
Forum Jump: 

#1 of Old 05-13-2008, 09:16 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Ok, the other day(Sunday) I noticed Jesse's neck looked dirty...didn't think anything of it because he was wearing a dark shirt and needed a bath. DH gave him a bath that night because I was working. I forgot about it and DH didn't say anything. Tonight I put him in the bath and scrubbed him down good. When I got him out the "dirt" was still there. I am assuming it's the type of birthmark known as a cafe au latte stain.I have a small one on my thigh that has been there since I was born. My concern is Jesse is five years old and NEVER had this before. It starts under his ear and runs down under his chin where it's a little darker, so it's pretty big. Is it normal for a birthmark to suddenly show up after five years? Should I worry, call the doctor about it??? He had a check-up in March and was perfectly healthy and still seems so....and the mark was not there at his check-up. Could this be a symptom of something else that I need to be worried about....what I find on the internet is NOT encouraging, but he doesn't fit any other symptoms of the "rare diseases" this could be associated with. HELP???!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of Old 05-14-2008, 12:17 AM

Likes Earned: 22
It's most likely JUST a birthmark. I have one on my hip that didn't show up until I was in about 4th or 5th grade. It got continually darker until after high school, when it started to lighten. Now you can barely see it. My mom had the doc look at it and he wasn't worried. Just watch it. If it ever turns purply/brown, you will need to have it looked at. Heck, let the doc look at it now if you are worried. Better safe than sorry!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#3 of Old 05-14-2008, 03:23 AM

Likes Earned: 25
Likes Given: 12
Kate has one or two latte stains that don't really show up unless she spents a lot of time in the sun. Has Jess spent more time in the sun recently? Does he play baseball? I am asking because I don't remember and baseball is a lot of playing in direct sun. Dh also has one that can't be seen until he gets a tan. it's like the pigment is just a little darker there.

#4 of Old 05-14-2008, 12:02 PM

My oldest DD has one that you can't see until summer when she starts getting a little bit of a tan but it isn't darker, it stays light. Evidently she doesn't have much pigment in that area.

I'm a worrier and I'd be checking with my kids pediatrician for something that suddenly showed up like that. Hopefully it's nothing but it's always better, in my opinion, to get things checked out than not.
#5 of Old 05-14-2008, 01:38 PM

Location: The Funny Farm, Where life is beautiful all the time...
Likes Earned: 10
I'd probably just be calling my ped to check, but it might just be a "sun" thing (getting some sun & it shows up) or it could be like Lauren's stork bite..... It lights up when she's mad!! I'd just run it by them to be sure.

Kim
DH Chris 8-6-94 **15 Years! **

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." Warren Buffett
Mom to Lauren 10/26/04 & Ryan 4/6/06 MC 3/22/07 Comet (10-5-09... RIP Bubba) Visit me @ GENERAL HEALTH ISSUES &...
#6 of Old 05-14-2008, 10:20 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

I called the Ped., they said it sounds pretty normal....just like getting a new mole, etc. As long as there are no other symptoms and it doesn't drastically change that it was fine. It might darken with sun and it might bother him if people notice and make a big deal out of it, but other then that I have nothing to worry about. They said it might even fade and/or disappear with age.
SHOO.....I feel better now..Now if I can just remember that I can't wash it off when I give him bath
#7 of Old 05-14-2008, 10:26 PM

Logan has one on his calf. It didnt show up till he was about 4 weeks old.

Becky
Wayne since 8/07~ almost a year! Who would have thought I would ever find my prince?

Samantha 4/19/95
Logan 10/9/01 Kia 9/10/98 Colby 3/28/01 I am a Motorcross Momma!!Enter to win BabyUniversity's Magificent Mom of the Month Contest and a $25 GC!
#8 of Old 05-13-2016, 04:23 AM

I think you should worry only if it's a dangerous type of birthmark. If that's the case, your doctor will have to find out the reason and prescribe correct treatment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page