What is a high SED rate indicative of? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
Forum Jump: 

#1 of Old 01-22-2004, 04:45 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
All my bloodwork came back perfect except for my SED rate. It was 50, but should be under 20. Based on this, they did a rheumetoid and autoimmune test, and they both came back negative. What does that leave? Most things that I read said it is an indicator of some inflammation, but that's pretty broad.

I was SO hoping that they'd discover I was right about the thyroid and I could cancel the MRI tomorrow, but now they are really pushing me to get it done.
#2 of Old 01-22-2004, 05:02 PM
Addicted Member

did they get the thryoid boodwork results back yet?

Sorry I dont know anything about a SED.
#3 of Old 01-22-2004, 05:04 PM
Special Member

I don't know anything about it either.
#4 of Old 01-22-2004, 05:22 PM

Location: The Funny Farm, Where life is beautiful all the time...
Likes Earned: 10
Here's a nice lab resource for ya! It's free to register!

http://www.heartcenteronline.com/myh...OVMTC=standard

What does an abnormal sed rate finding mean?

The main reason for an elevated sed rate is an increase in erythrocyte aggregation (the clumping together of red blood cells that is necessary for blood clotting). Unless the red blood cells are clumping together because of anemia (a lack of red blood cells), this aggregation is due to abnormally high levels of plasma proteins.

Plasma proteins are chains of amino acids -- the building blocks of all body cells. When too many plasma proteins (e.g., fibrinogen or beta globulin) adhere to the surface of red blood cells, they are more likely to clump together. These groups of aggregated cells are heavier, so they fall out from plasma more quickly than single red blood cells. Therefore, an elevated sed rate is a sign of an excess of plasma proteins in the blood, which could be caused by a number of different diseases.

Unfortunately, the sed rate cannot determine which disease is present. For this reason, a sed rate test is often performed in conjunction with other blood tests, including the following (please click on the link for more information):
Total serum protein test (to assess the levels of different plasma proteins)
Complete blood count
Enzyme test
Waste product test
Coagulation test
In general, slightly elevated sed rate with no other indicators of disease will not result in extensive investigation into the cause. The patient will likely be retested after several months. Elevations greater than 100 millimeter per hour are usually due to an apparent cause such as infection, cancer or other serious illness.

Is regular sed rate testing needed?

Sed rate tests are generally used as a screening tool for disease, and most patients will not require regular testing. However, sed rate tests can also be used to monitor several chronic diseases, including Hodgkin disease and other cancers. Therefore, some patients will have regular sed rate tests to provide an early warning of a relapse in their condition.

How is sed rate analysis performed?

The ESR test is performed in a laboratory by placing whole blood in a solution at a ratio of 4:1. A small amount of the mixture is then transferred to a tube at least 200 millimeters high. After an hour, the distance that the erythrocytes (mature red blood cells) travel down through the plasma (the liquid part of blood in which cells are suspended) is measured. That distance is the erythrocyte sedimentation rate.

Kim
DH Chris 8-6-94 **15 Years! **

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." Warren Buffett
Mom to Lauren 10/26/04 & Ryan 4/6/06 MC 3/22/07 Comet (10-5-09... RIP Bubba) Visit me @ GENERAL HEALTH ISSUES &...
#5 of Old 01-22-2004, 05:26 PM
Special Member

Here's some info. Maybe you've read it already though. I hope that it helps. Sedimentation Rate
#6 of Old 01-22-2004, 10:41 PM

I know they used that test on Ed to determine if his foot was infected again. Where you sick when you had the bloodwork done?

Becky
Wayne since 8/07~ almost a year! Who would have thought I would ever find my prince?

Samantha 4/19/95
Logan 10/9/01 Kia 9/10/98 Colby 3/28/01 I am a Motorcross Momma!!Enter to win BabyUniversity's Magificent Mom of the Month Contest and a $25 GC!
#7 of Old 01-23-2004, 12:11 AM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
:hug;
#8 of Old 01-23-2004, 01:18 AM

Likes Earned: 25
Likes Given: 12
I have learned a lot about Lupus and MS over the years which are also autoimmune diseases, but your symptoms don't sound like them. I hope they find out what's wrong soon and you start feeling better quickly.
#9 of Old 01-27-2004, 07:35 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Dawn did you have to do the MMR? Just hoping all is well with you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page