Why can I suddenly hear my computer running? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
Forum Jump: 

#1 of Old 03-28-2008, 10:00 AM - Thead Starter
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
I came home yesterday evening and while sitting and watching TV, I could hear a strange noise... like a steady humming/ticking or a small motor running. I looked all around never thinking it would be my computer and didn't find anything. Then I went to shut down for the night and the noise stopped. This morning after booting back up, the noise is back as well. I listened around the back of the machine which seems to be where the noise is coming from. I took a vaccuum and sucked up some of the dust that seemed to be clogging near the fan... it looks a lot nicer but still is making that noise. *sigh* I don't know enough about computers to want to risk opening it up on my own.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of Old 03-28-2008, 10:05 AM

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
I am like you, I don't know enough about computers to do anything more than what you did. Maybe someone on the boards will have a suggestion.

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#3 of Old 03-28-2008, 10:30 AM

You may want to get some canned air and spray it out or it could possibly be the fan going out and you would need to replace your fan

I am a proud wife to a hard working man Russ
and I have two wonderful kids Hannah and Will!
#4 of Old 03-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
I had the same thought as Simonne, our computer got noisy a few years ago and it was the fan inside it, it cost about $20 - $25 for the new part and installation.
#5 of Old 03-29-2008, 12:28 PM

I agree with the other ladies, it may be your fan. I would use the can of air spray first. It may just be that your fan needs some oil. If you run your computer alot you will eventually wear down the oil inside the fan. We used a light spray of WD40 on our fan and it fixed the problem. However if your computer is under any kind of warranty, I would talk with the warranty people first as you will viod the warranty once you open the back of the computer. Ours was like three years so it wasn't a problem for us.
#6 of Old 03-29-2008, 06:42 PM

It could be the fan or the Hard Drive slowly dying...
#7 of Old 03-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 18
Likes Given: 1
i vote for the fan either dying or being clogged up
#8 of Old 03-30-2008, 03:28 AM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
sounds liek you may have a whack load of dust in your puter. Like Andrea said, get a can of that air in a can and clean out your computer. It will run a lot quieter
#9 of Old 03-30-2008, 03:41 PM

Likes Earned: 22
Elaine, ours does the same thing. It's your fan. If you are still under warranty, don't take the back off. It will void your warranty. But if your warranty has expired, it's pretty simple to unscrew the cover so you can get to the fan. Try vacuuming or using canned air to clean it. You can try WD-40, but don't let it get on other parts as it can damage the boards. (Rick is a computer tech - this comes from him.)

Sometimes, there is nothing wrong with the fan, it just starts making noise - like ours. You can replace it, but that's no guarantee the noise will go away.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page