How many college hours per year? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
Forum Jump: 

#1 of Old 02-18-2007, 03:22 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
I'm trying to figure out how many years it would take to obtain a certain degree. What is the average number of college hours per year? I'm looking at two different degrees .. one is 42 hours and the other is 58.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of Old 02-18-2007, 03:39 PM

Likes Earned: 25
Likes Given: 12
Some people take 15+ hours a semester. I was never able to take more than 12 and get decent grades. Of course, I wanted all As, so I had to plan for a lot of study time. The most I ever took was 24 hours during the regular school year and 6 in the summer. My dh has taken up to 12 hours in two six week sessions in the summer.
#3 of Old 02-18-2007, 04:30 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

OK - so I was on the right track. Looks like 42 hours would be a 2 year program and the 58 would be a very aggressive 2+ years? I need to call them tomorrow and get more info, but I was just trying to decide which would be the best route for me. This is actually kind of exciting! OK .. after 7 years home with the kids, it doesn't take much to humor me.
#4 of Old 02-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Yeah the courses I want to take would average between 12 and 17 credit hours per quarter.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#5 of Old 02-18-2007, 05:05 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Per quarter or per semester? I don't get half this stuff. Talk about culture shock! Somebody please convince me that it's not foolish to start a new career at 40???
#6 of Old 02-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
You're never too old, Dawn.

I started on my Masters in December of 2006 and will be done around August of 2008 (but I'm only taking one course at a time because of working f/t). I don't remember off hand how many credit hours I'll end up with..I think 40 something.
#7 of Old 02-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Special Member

ok my FAFSA form says full time is 12 credit hours a term or 24 clock hours per week. So that's 24 credit hours a YEAR.
#8 of Old 02-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Dawn, it depends on how many classes you can take at once and if you want to go summers or not. A three hour class typically meets 3 hours per week for a semester. (Aug-Dec or Jan-May) It might be 1 hour M/W/F, 1.5 hours T/Th, or a 3 hour night class. Like some have said, a full-time student takes at least 12 hours. I've taken up to 18 hours before. (but wouldn't think of it now ) If your major has a lot of labs in it some of your classes would be 4 hours of credit, but a lab takes up more than 1 hour of class time per week. They're usually 2-3 hours.
#9 of Old 02-19-2007, 11:16 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Thanks ladies! I suppose I just need to call today and get everything straight. I'm guessing now that the 42 hours for the major I'm looking at is *in addition* to about that many for basic classes???

And now I see that it's going to cost $12k+ per year to go to any of the universities ... looks like I'm headed to community college for $1200 per year. That's fine, just not the major I was most excited about.
#10 of Old 02-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Special Member

You'll have to see because when I looked up the information for my associates for the Vet Tech it gave me the total hours/credits needed and that included my general courses
#11 of Old 02-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Dawn,

If you were looking at a Bachelor's Degree program those 42 hours wouldn't be for the whole thing. They have more like 100 or more hours total. Associate's degrees would have fewer hours and definitely cost less too. I hope you can find one you're interested in. By the way, my mother got her RN when she was about 38 I think, so it's not too late to start a new career
#12 of Old 02-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
I looked it up and for my MBA with an emphasis in Marketing I have to take 48 credit hours total.

But Kristen is right...for a Bachelors it would be around 100 credit hours. I just discovered that at Capella the Bachelor classes are worth 6 credit hours and students have to graduate with 180 credit hours!! I'm glad I'm done with getting Bachelors. So really if you cut that in half, though, it would be really 90 credit hours (if they were normal and had 3 credit hours per course )
#13 of Old 02-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Addicted Member

So Dawn what will you be when you grow up?

I am getting a certificate so mine is a 44 hour course. Hey I think I am half way through the book.
#14 of Old 02-19-2007, 07:38 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Yeah, I spoke to admissions today and it's still a 4 yr degree. I'm probably just going to start out at the community college taking the basics until I make my mind up AND figure out how to pay for it.

I'd really like a degree in Exercise & Sports Science, but I don't think I'll be able to afford it. Alternatively, I'm looking into becoming a Physical therapist. It still ends up being 4 years, but it can all be done through the community college.
#15 of Old 02-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Addicted Member

take your time and at your own pace. Hush my mouth, but TJ will be going to school full time soon hey or is he?

Soon we will be looking at adding going back to school board!
#16 of Old 02-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Special Member

Ya know I was just thinking about a back to school board yesterday.
#17 of Old 02-19-2007, 08:04 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie
TJ will be going to school full time soon hey or is he?

Soon we will be looking at adding going back to school board!
Yep! I just registered him for kindy a few weeks ago, so now it's time for ME again! I haven't been out in the *real* world for 7 years now ... I'm ready to try something new!

Oh ... and good idea on the new board ladies!
#18 of Old 02-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Addicted Member

Dawn did you just make one or is this way over my head?
#19 of Old 02-19-2007, 08:04 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie
Dawn did you just make one or is this way over my head?

I just LOVE messing with your head Jannie! It's nicotine withdrawal!
#20 of Old 02-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Addicted Member

Oh yeah thats right... We aren't the real world!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page