Paperwork - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
Forum Jump: 

#1 of Old 05-07-2008, 02:41 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 25
Likes Given: 12
What do you do with all the paperwork? Do you keep it all? I have just one heaping pile of paperwork. Do I save it all and carefully file it? Or can I get rid of some of it? It's starting to overflow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of Old 05-08-2008, 02:08 AM

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 0
KEEP IT ALL!

One thing I learned from all of Drew's stuff - you are going to need that stuff sometime in the future, believe me!

The best way I found to keep track of it all is to put it in notebooks and file it by dates. I have a notbook for each year and the years are broken down by month. I have a plastic sheet protector in the front of each months section. In there I have a list of the papers in that months section, with a little detail to help find things. I also have a long list in the front of the notebook, kinda like a table of contents, broken down by month. This list is very basic.

At some point, you will find that you will need to prove to the schools or doctors that something was done or that you requested it be done. All these papers are the only proof you have. Put EVERYTHING in writing and request copies of everything - signed and dated. When you write a letter, make sure that you ask for a signed and dated letter responding to your letter. I know it sounds like a bunch of work, but it will help later on. I can send you copies of the letter I have used for the schools, if you plan on sending her to public school.

Check out Wright's Law. It is a site devoted to special education. There is tons of information there, including sample letters and sample filing systems. There are also alot of yahoo SpEd groups. You might try checking those out, as well. Others parents who have been thru this will be a valuable resource on how to get things done and exactly how you need to proceed to get things accomplished.

So, yeah - sorry to tell you it's best to keep it all. But once you have it filed in the notebooks, it's really easy to keep it caught up and to find things when you need them. Let me know if you need any more help! I've been down this road a time or two, so I understand what it's like.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#3 of Old 05-08-2008, 05:54 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 25
Likes Given: 12
I figured that might be the case. I'm getting a file folder tomorrow. We aren't doing public school, but it still probably a good idea to keep it all.
#4 of Old 05-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 0
I have a copy of each of the IEP's, as well as everything we have from his doctors regarding diagnosis. I keep it all filed with his immunizations records. I also have a computer file (word document) with all the dates and information of any problems at school, conversatios with teachers, etc.
#5 of Old 06-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
I have a filing folder cabinet for filing all of Michael's paperwork I have everything from 1999 to present. Since we homeschool, I don't have IEPs but I keep records of Michael's goals that I set for the year and records of his progress.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page