Gifted Children Overlooked in Public Schools - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
Forum Jump: 

#1 of Old 06-15-2002, 12:31 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
This past year I realized that many gifted students in Chase's school were overlooked. It seems that our gifted children are being neglected. These are our future leaders and the shortage of special programs for gifted and talented students is a crisis in America. I'm not sure what can be done .. except more parent participation?!?

But .. not trying to open a can of worms here .. in 1997 the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act mandated that all studends with learning disabilities were entilted to an appropriate education. Don't gifted children have the same right?? Shouldn't we have enough programs for our gifted students as well??

I'm not saying that we should cut back on special education or take away from our existing programs in place. But it is unfair to ignore the students on the other end of the scale.

It is a HUGE misconception that gifted children are just Super smart kida that can fend for themselves. This is so untrue of most gifted children. They need to interact with other gifted children and be presuaded to not give up and continue on.

It is at the very least .. a scary situation that we are messing up our future by continuing to ignore these children!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of Old 06-15-2002, 03:52 AM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
I agree Roxanna, our gifted children are being left out. I knwo that our special needs children need extra help...but so do our gifted. They need help in other ways
#3 of Old 06-15-2002, 05:42 AM

Likes Earned: 22
I agree. We had Drew tested and he is very gifted in math. Testing 2 full years above his grade level. But he can't get into the challenge program because you have to be gifted in more than one area in elementary school to get in. He missed it by 2 points! My only option has been to work with him at home. He loves doing math workbooks, but there is only so much I can teach him. It's not fair that he can't be in the program just because his langauage arts score wasn't high enough. BTW, he tested 1 year above in languages arts. Just not high enough for them, I guess!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#4 of Old 06-15-2002, 06:38 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Ditto, Gregs IQ was/is 154, but he got really bored in school and lost interest, now he has dropped out, I too was bored out of my mind at school, they didn't even have programmes for gifted children back then.

I agree Roxanna, they are alienating the very children they should be nurturing
#5 of Old 06-15-2002, 02:39 PM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
I was bored outy of my mind in school too. I had some courses I wasn't so good in, and others that i was really good in. It got to the point where I just gave up and didnt' want to be there anymomre. I let my grades slip and no one noticed or cared...I went from all b's in grade 11 and first 1/2 of grade 12 to c's and c+'s in the last half of grade 12

You would think that someone would have said something,...but nope
#6 of Old 06-15-2002, 06:37 PM
Addicted Member

I have a lot to say and I do not know where to begin. I agree with Roxanna, for instance. Alisha has Social Studies and Math for Gifted but her highest is in English and Reading. Principal turned her down to go to Jr. High for these things last school yr. Fear I guess that she was not mature enough. I feel that was are descison not hers in the end. Yes i agree Alisha is shy at first and she takes her time getting to know new ppl, but when she does they seem to click. We have no option now because the school times have changed and there is no way for them to be there at the Jr. High and the elementary. I guess if they suggest her being moved up a grade we will have to really look at that, for she may get bored and clam up and cry again. I do not what to go throught that again. She has TAG for Science and that is only for 3 to 6 months out of the yr.

For Drew, I am so sorry that he missed it that is real tough. I am sure he will make it by the end of this year.

We go off the College standards in the 98 percent tile. That is Iowa University of Iowa. In two or more areas. It has been so long I do not remember. You might want to check what they go off of.

Ms. Goergen has always said if she had the money to build her own school for the Gifted she would and we all say we would be there with bells on. It is ashame that they suffer and some get into trouble and their grades drop too.

Oh Roxanna how dare you not send this topic to me. I am hurt. jk
Glad I found it.
#7 of Old 06-15-2002, 07:52 PM

I was also bored out of my mind in school. I hated it. I could do the work - about 3 years before I got it - so I was always bored. I remember finishing tests long before my classmates, then I'd start talking! My DH tested very high also, but he couldn't seem to sit still in school. His first son had the same trouble. They were so bored, they got into trouble. They learn in a more hands-on way than the public schools could provide.

When our DS was born I had decided to stay home. I was 43 and had lost so many, and this was our only child. I started looking into homeschooling him - probably more for me. As he got older I could see that it would be better for him. He isn't eligible to start kindergarten till this Fall and is doing 1st and 2nd grade work now. He loves learning, but his tolerance for sitting still is low and he bores easily. He can always keep himself amused - if you let him away from the table. His pediatrician said he is not ADHD - they thought DH and SS were also, but they tested borderline. He just has a very hands-on learning style, once he learns something he doesn't want to repeat it, and he never wants to stay on one thing long. I've been reading that most boys have trouble sitting as still as public schools require - till about 2nd grade. Our Ped. said the best thing for DS is homeschooling because the public schools just aren't set up for kids who are ahead and active. There are no classes around here for him. Only classes if his boredom causes him to act out like his older brother did and that is because those kids are disruptive. It is more a punishment.

They had a survey in our town and asked what the schools could do to encourage some of us to send our kids to school (a lot of kids here are home-schooled), but they say they don't have funds to be able to offer different grade levels to kids who are functioning above their ages in some subjects. And, like my son, many don't run the same level in all subjects. My friend's 8 year old, for instance, runs high in history and reading, lower than his age in math.

Then, to top it off, I can teach him more than he can get there. He is learning Spansh and sign language. There is no pool, and I can take him to the community pool in the next town during the day. He also gets more exercise at home.

I don't know what the answer could be. Till then, I guess I am homeschooling. Is anyone else doing that?

Clown

"If all the world's a stage,
I want better lighting!"
#8 of Old 06-15-2002, 08:13 PM
Addicted Member

Yes that is one reason a lot of people are homeschooling now is to help enrich their child's life. I do believe the public is doing better then the Catholic schools or at least in this area they are. That is why we had to pull my daughter from it.

I hate to say I was not where my husband or even my daughter was in school I struggled. I say I was a C student and once in awhile a pulled a B or A. Depended on the class for me. I am more creative then scholar. What I am getting at is I could never homeschool Ali for two reason one, I probably wouldn't understand it and DH needs to work. Second she is only child and she need kid inner action. That is how I feel.
#9 of Old 06-15-2002, 08:36 PM

I am considering home schooling. My second grader was tested and determined to be extremely bright. At school he was placed in a gifted program, but I was surprised at the caliber of classwork and homework that was assigned to him. Neither classwork nor homework were challenging. The gifted program, at my son's school, is new. They're taking the program and developing it as each school year comes along. I do not depend on my son's school to teach him everything, I supplement his homework assignments with assignments of my own.
#10 of Old 06-15-2002, 08:51 PM
Special Member

I was bored too.

Seems like they need to re-evaluate the school program. If this many people are bored, then the work needs an upgrade.
#11 of Old 06-15-2002, 08:55 PM
Addicted Member

That is true Jennifer, they do need to do that.
#12 of Old 06-16-2002, 01:36 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Brenda .. have you asked about Drew going to an upper grade just for his Math classes??

Annie .. sorry I didn't send it to you! I was half asleep.

Chase was given the option to skip a year and we decided aganist it. He is a small boy and the peer pressure would be too much for him. He is a very gifted student. His 5th grade standards in Math met with an 8th grader and his Language Arts and writing skills are that of an 11th grader. It is trully amazing the things he can do with his brain! Kirstie-Raie is also very gifted. She began reading at the age of three and now is off the charts in reading. She can read Shakespeare in his original text with ease!

We do supplemental homeschooling at home and during the summer. It really give the kids a chance to branch out and discover that they really enjoy learning. They can do it at their pace and most of the time I find myself having a hard time keeping up with them.

Schools in America ned to redefine their standards. When I was teaching in elementary school, I found most of the students to be bored half of the time .. we need higher standards!
#13 of Old 06-16-2002, 04:23 AM

Hi there, I'm Cheryl and I happened to run into this topic. My eldest daughter is a gifted child and has been tested at her school. She passed every test given. The school has been great in dealing with kids like her. They have a program called the Challenge Program that took the gifted children (there were only 5) and children who has great strengths in other fields and had mini workshops (eg. math, science, arts, photography, computers, etc.) last year. This year these children helped in the creation of a educational nature reserve on Blue Herons, eagles (which are not that common here in B.C.). Some children were involved in the video presentation, some in marketing, some in speeches to other schools, etc. It was a great to see them trying to give back to the community as well as learning on a different perspective. I guess we're very fortunate to have a school that deals with them.

I also work with them at home, usually in the summer time. One year, I had my eldest daughter do a research report on my side of the family (We're Filipino) when she was in Grade 1. Other things I did was work on multipcation tables, French, nature, photography, and I think this year we're going to work on more French, Spanish and sign language. I've got 2 pupils this summer (10yo dd and 6yo dd).

Hope that gives some ideas for your moms out there. Gifted or non-gifted children can always learn anytime. The first place they do learn is at home!

Cheryl
#14 of Old 06-16-2002, 08:01 AM
Addicted Member

Cherly..Welcome to Baby U!!! Glad you have joined us here!

You are very lucky to have a school that does things to help enrich and challenge you daughter!

Roxanna I agree that standards need to be raised! In my experience working in the classroom the kids that were bright and gifted were always left to fend for their own because we were always working with the ones that were below grade level. It is not that I do not like to have the special kids in the class, I feel that every one benefits from it, I just think that a whole group of kids is being left out.
#15 of Old 06-16-2002, 11:28 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Hi Cheryl .. welcome to BabyU! Glad you joined us. We too have a program in our school .. it is called Program Challange .. And the gifted children go to higher grades for their regular classes as well. However, they still seem to get overlooked when it comes to the regular classes they attend with the entire class! Sad .. but true!
#16 of Old 06-16-2002, 12:24 PM
Special Member

I have to agree with you ladies on this one. There is not enough funding that is appropriated towards the gifted student. Much if the funds ends up coming from the school district itself which in many cases doesn't have enough money to spread around.

I do see gifted programs at the high school level which is what I was in when I was in high school but there isn't much at the elementary or middle school level. Many of my friends who have gifted children have went the route of either placing their children in private school or homeschool.

Not anyone can afford to do that and it is sad that parents of gifted children are left out in the cold.

~~Visit Michael's webpage~~
www.babiesonline.com/babies/t/tigerpup
Click here to visit our Family Homepage at Baby U.

~~Click here to see my webpage: Art by Alexandra~~

Click here and read my Parenting Journal
where I discuss what life is like raising a toddler with special needs. We are currently trying to find out which sydrome our son has that is affecting his liver.

Moderator of

CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS BOARD

RAINY DAY ACTIVITIES
THE RELATIONSHIPS BOARD

"A man sees himself through the eyes of the women he loves."

"True love is just like rain; it touches us all."
#17 of Old 06-16-2002, 02:10 PM

Thanks everyone for making me feel at home! Roxanna30135, actually we're lucky the school doesn't take them out of their regular classes to advanced classes, they meet once a week for a couple of hours working on the project on task. They did it purposely this way not to distinguish the highly intelligent ones from the average intelligent ones. It's sort of like an extra-curricular activity for them.
#18 of Old 06-16-2002, 06:53 PM
Addicted Member

Cheryl Hello and Welcome to Baby University. I wanted to say you are luck that your kids have such a great program.

Ali attends Challenge classroom everyday, she is in there more then her regular classes. Because of math and Science and then when she has TAG meaning Talented And Gifted Class for 3 to 6 months. Her regular teacher sometime get upset with them because they do so much for them. They have homework every night and they have projects like History Days or something like that. Well in the regular classroom where she is they have her teaching other kids that do not understand that gets boring to her at times, but I keep telling her she is learning things as she goes. SHe said what am I learning and I said lets pretend you are grown and your job requires you to explain things to other employees and she said right and I said you will be able to do it, because the more you help the other children the more you will be able to speak and expalin things without even thinking about it or get nervous about it. She said thanks Mom you are right cause I am getting better at that, because I remember explaining something to a kid and at first I did it the short way thinking they would understand and they did not so I had to do it another way.

I try to point out vaules of life to her so that she understands why she may be doing this without the teacher telling her. Then they come back to me and say Ali blows their mind and then I feel so proud. I like that part and so does Ali she has a lot to be proud of.

Okay I am going to ask another question here. My Ali is overweight and she really doesn't snack a lot she does drink a lot of pop like me, so I am not a good example. She really does not care for sports except her dancing which I call a sport in a way. She likes to play outside a little not much, she likes to be reading or on the computer, in other words she likes to learn. Do any of you have overweight children that are gifted and what do you do when they are not active in sports?
#19 of Old 06-16-2002, 07:03 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Sorry Annie .. I have skinny skinny kids here! Chase is way skinny and so is Kirstie-Raie! And both are active in sports .. Chase more so than Kirstie-Raie. But yes, dance does count!
#20 of Old 06-16-2002, 08:57 PM
Addicted Member

Annie I was like Ali..would much rather be inside reading a good book. Wish I had a suggestion for you!
#21 of Old 06-16-2002, 09:01 PM
Addicted Member

That is what I thought. I have to admit the group that Ali hangs with, most of them are gaining weight too. I like to suggest something to Ms. G about if there is something we can do to help them out. I think I will do that. Teen years are just ahead.
#22 of Old 06-16-2002, 09:16 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Great idea Annie .. talking with Ms. G .. teen years are hard!
#23 of Old 06-16-2002, 09:53 PM
Addicted Member

Thanks Roxanna
#24 of Old 06-17-2002, 12:18 AM

Wish I could help you...my oldest son is beanpole thin, I'm trying to get some meat on his bones! With summer upon us your daughter might want to stroll around the mall with her friends or, if it's walking distance, take a walk to the library. Cutting down on the pop intake would help. Hope you find something that works.
#25 of Old 06-17-2002, 12:56 AM
Addicted Member

Yes I know the pop intake needs to stop. Like I said I need to cut that out to, but it is so hard for me to give up the pop. That is idea maybe we could walk together. I knew that I just lazy.

She starts her CHESS camp tomorrow, it is all week. Computer class through the University of Iowa. She will love it and she is looking forward to it. She will see some of her classmates there.
#26 of Old 06-17-2002, 08:17 PM

Annie, my children aren't overweight but I do watch what foods they intake. I exercise 4-6 days a week ranging from 1 to 1 1/2 hours a day. My trainer told me when I started to walk, walk and walk! That's your first step. Then change some of your habits. Since the summer is coming, the TV is shut off and we play soccer, rollerblading, badminton, biking, hopscotch, skipping, basketball, etc. How about walking to the corner store rather than driving? Take the stairs instead of the elevators. Have you tried the sport drinks with Ali? That's what I give the kids now. They have pop probably 0-2 times a week. Give her a healthy lunch - raisins, trail mix, fruit leather, fresh fruit, yogurt tubes, cheese strings, sandwiches on whole wheat bread, cornuts, etc. And remember lots of water even flavoured water can do. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Best reegards
Cheryl
#27 of Old 06-18-2002, 12:25 AM
Addicted Member

Cheryl those are great tips and a lot to work with. Thanks so much.
#28 of Old 06-20-2002, 03:53 AM

Between the Mayo Demostration School to the magnet schools to the special classes for the physically impaired ( glorified babysitting - I'm sorry; it's just no different than what they get at home and my Uncle works for TPS in the maintenance department and he schedules the repairs to the time-out rooms ) the average students here get the dirty end of the stick.
#29 of Old 06-20-2002, 10:45 AM
Special Member

OH MY GOSH! I've been avoiding this post because I just knew I'd get my undies in a wad once I started thinking about it again .... but that has been my point this entire past school year!

I found it so unfair that they stuck Jessica into a class where they spent the first two weeks learning their colors ... she was already reading! The consistently held her back the entire year and refused to let her excel at her own level.

THEN they had the nerve to call and tell me she was disrupting class by talking and fidgeting. I told them before school even started that I was worried about this and they would need to provide her with extra work to keep her challenged. They said no, that she would need to learn to sit still and be quiet. Now somebody tell me how this is fair to a five-year-old that is used to learning new things ... being forced to sit back and wait for everyone else?

And I know she wasn't the only one in this position. But the school insisted that since these kids were in the minority, they'd have to wait for the others to catch up. This whole year was such a waste and I wish I'd gone with my gut instinct and had her skip kindergarten.

I can't tell you how many times I went to the school board's site and read about how children with learning disabilities were guaranteed extra assistance and I kept telling myself that she deserved the same attention as a child that was dyslexic, as an example.

Why couldn't they provide her with the same tutor, that allowed her to work at her pace, as a child that was having a difficult time keeping up?????

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
#30 of Old 06-20-2002, 11:30 AM
Addicted Member

Dawn I am so glad that Jessi will be starting a new school this year. May she blossom just like the rest that are like her. She deserves that. Poor Jessi and Poor Dawn it has been one hard school year on you both.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page