My baby won't play alone - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
Forum Jump: 

#1 of Old 03-16-2010, 07:16 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Post My baby won't play alone

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, so it's great to be here and I hope I can find some good advice
I have a five month old (almost six months), he's a wonderful baby and I've been really lucky since he doesn't cry too much and he sleeps okay during the night. And (obviously) he's the cutest and coolest baby that was ever born in the whoooole wide world

Now, jokes aside, I do have a concern for which I would love to hear some advice!

My son will not play on his own even for two minutes. I always always always have to be in his sight and he'll stay out of my arms only when I stand above him and play with him. If I leave him for two seconds, he will cry. He doesn't demand to be carried around much, but he wants to be sitting on my lap. Only then will he entretein himself. The pediatrician says that maybe we gave him the idea that it's not ok to be alone, and that we did that by always being in his sight. It could be, I am always with him. But I'm not in favor of letting babies cry, and I believe that a baby'c cries are a baby's needs, but I'm worried that my son might become too dependent on me! Is he too little to entretein himself with a toy for at least 10-15 minutes? And if not, how can I help him become a little more self-sufficient? Is there any way to do that without letting a baby cry it out?

Thanks and, again, great to be here!

Last edited by Admin; 06-17-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of Old 03-16-2010, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
None of my children were very good at entertaining themselves until they got to an age that they could sit upright. I think it has something to do with being able to see their surroundings ... but it could be the Gerber Puffs they could start having around that age too.

Does your son sit in a bouncy seat or do you lay him on the floor?

I wouldn't be too concerned at this point ... I'm a strong believer in "you can't spoil a baby" ... but for your own sanity's sake, you will need to find something that keeps him entertained for more than a minute or two at a time.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06

Last edited by Admin; 06-17-2014 at 01:20 PM.
#3 of Old 03-16-2010, 08:55 AM - Thead Starter

He sits either in his stroller or in a swing, but he isn't a fan of either. He'll chew on a toy for a little while, but only when and if I am in sight. And that doesn't last long either.
My hope is exactly what you said - that he might start playing by himself once he becomes able to sit up on his own.

#4 of Old 03-16-2010, 10:32 AM

Likes Earned: 25
Likes Given: 12
At this point, I wouldn't worry too much. If he was two and wouldn't play on his own, then I would worry. He's still very young. to Baby U!
#5 of Old 03-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 10
I would do some testing with him:

try explaining to him that your going to put him down to play and walk away. As you're walking away reenforce him with your voice using inflection to encourage him that he's okay that you can hear him and will be right back. Start with short times away and when you return praise him for playing on his own and listening! Make it a daily game until he gets use to it. I also would use the voice inflection when walking away while clapping too so that my children could hear me clapping (also a distraction if they're crying) and saying things like, I'm right here and I'll be right there! You can use this as well when he's in the crib to get him use to the fact that you said you would be there and then wait a few seconds before running to him...to see how he reacts to that.
#6 of Old 08-11-2010, 05:10 PM

I had this problem with my nephew when I watched him. What I did was since we have an open floor plan sit him in a baby vibrating chair and strapped him in and then while I cleaned all around him talked to him for a few minutes and slowly got further and further away. He eventually got interested in the little toys above him and forgot all about me not being there. Yes after he did notice he started to cry and I reassured him I was here and redirected his attention back to the toys.
#7 of Old 08-31-2010, 08:59 PM

We were worried at first with our son because of this exact same thing. I was told it was normal, but it was quite annoying at times. It actually got to the point where he didn't even want daddy, but he needed me to be sitting there, and no one else! Eventually he grew out of this after about eight months, and now he's quite an independent toddler. Similar to what Pickme said, when he started to get upset when I would walk away, I would use a voice inflection and tell him that he was okay and that I was still close.
#8 of Old 09-27-2010, 05:41 AM

Most normally babies has a habit of not living alone they want someone to sit beside them i too have 2 years old baby she wont leaves me for a while but i dont get irritation because i love her.

#9 of Old 11-24-2010, 06:14 PM

Likes Earned: 11

Hey Xenia,

Doing baby sign language for him might help. You can find a lot of resources online especially google. ^_^

#10 of Old 11-29-2010, 01:46 AM
Banned

I never had experienced this before but my sister's son is like this and I don't know at such very young age he does't want to play alone.

#11 of Old 11-29-2010, 05:20 AM
Banned

oh...so cute..anyway some of the kids are dependent to her mother but try explaining to him that your going to put him down to play..

#12 of Old 11-12-2015, 11:41 PM

Such a wonderful post, especially affect the parents they don’t want for their child plays alone that thing is wrong if kids don’t walk alone always help someone may not survive and can’t find their problems’ solution they should tell that story or videos and cartoons by which their mind accept their self and more video production companies , libraries and shops where they buy and see online this kind of things.
#13 of Old 03-09-2016, 10:09 AM

You'll get good tips for your health and the health of your son
#14 of Old 09-26-2016, 02:08 AM

All your suggestions are going to help me.

Tags
frontpage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page