This week's Grocery Game savings... - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 01:53 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone has been asking about the Grocery Game & if it is worth it. I swear by it as it saves me ALOT of time...other people think they can do just as well on their own. I decided to post this week's results for people to see for themselves if the items are worth it & things they use. Also, many times when I can get something that I don't use, but is is less than $1, I will buy it anyway & donate it to our local food pantry.

I made several trips to the local grocery stores in the last 4 days. We have Tom Thumb (which is also Randall's/Safeway), Kroger & Albertson's.

At Albertson's:

I got $510.66 worth of groceries for $123.26 which is a savings of 76%!!!!!!!!!

At Tom Thumb:

I got $86.41 worth of groceries for $24.64 which is a savings of 71.5%!!!!!!!!!

At Kroger:

I got $56.96 worth of groceries for $13.25 which is a savings of 77%!!!!!!!!!!

Total ---> $654.03 worth of groceries for $161.15 which is roughly a 75% savings. I usually save about 80-83%, but I had to get some things that I do not usually buy (like vitamins) or don't usually get coupons for (like meat)...overall, I am pretty happy with the savings, though.

Here is a general list of what I got & how much I paid...it is not everything I got, but a general idea.

Some of the FREE items I got were:

2 - 14 oz. Mahatma brown rice
8 cans Hunt's tomato sauce
2 Country Crock 1 lb. sticks
4 XXL El Monte Burritos
4 Jose Ole Chimichangas
2 Daisy 8 oz. sour cream
4 boxes of Life cereal with vanilla yogurt
4 Hershy nutrition bars
8 Lipton/Knorr rice or noodle side dishes
6 Zone nutrition bars
8 Pure Protien bars
2 bags of Chex mix
8 boxes of Nestle Cocoa Mix
4 VO5 Oasis Shampoo & Conditioner
4 Brillo Oxy Scrub pads

Items under .50 cents:

Pioneer Gravy .23
4-2 lb 20 oz. Quaker Whole Oats .50 ea
4 Quaker instant oatmeal .50 ea
4 Nestle cookie dough .25 ea
4 Loreal Vive Shampoo & conditioner .25 ea
4 Loreal Kid's Shampoo .25 ea
20 packs Carefree Coolers gum .10 ea
4 quarts of Promiseland Milk .24 ea
4 Pillsbury cake mix .37 each
12 Power Bars .39 ea
4 boxes Super Soft Frozen Pretzels .44
4 bottles Shout spray .27
4 Carbwise Bars .36
3 International Coffee Creamer .09
2 Coffeemate Half & Half .04
4 bags Stewert of Hanover pretzel pieces .24
4 Skippy peanutbutter (mid size jars) .44
4 Jif peanutbutter .49
4 Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce .50
4 McCormick seasoning packets .22

Items .51 cents to $1:

4-1 liter bottles Listerine Mouthwash .75 ea
8 Popsecret popcorn .52 ea
4 Body for Life bars .61 ea
8 Zone Perfect bars .70 ea
4 Listerine Breath Strips .29 ea
1 Molly McButter .79
South Beach Cereal Bars .98
4 bottles Fantastik Oxy Cleaner .75 ea
4 Carb Solutions bars .52

Items $1-$2:

2-4 packs Danon Mousse Yogurt 1.03 ea
1 box South Beach crackers 1.23 ea
2 South Beach frozen pizzas 1.51ea
2 boxes Lucky Charms 1.70 ea
2 Coffemate Creamers (liquid) 1.04 ea
2 lg boxed Cinnamon Toast Crunch 1.50 ea
2 lg boxes Reese's cereal 1.69 ea
1 Gogurt Smoothies 1.23 ea
1 Gogurt take & eat 1.12 ea
4 Electrasol Gelpacks dishwasher detergent 1.49 ea

Please let me know if you have any questions...I would be happy to answer them for you. And if you decide to join, I would LOVE it if you would use me as a referral. Just ask me for my e-mail address. I would appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 01:55 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 3
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow! You got some awesome deals.
#3 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 04:09 AM - Thead Starter

Yes...I was pretty happy with how well I did this time out.

Liz...I don't have to search the deals because the Grocery Game does it for you.All I have to do is get the newspaper (I get 2 double stacks=4 papers/week), clip & organize the coupons. I have gotten lazy since going vacation (to Disneyland/San Diego/Las Vegas which we paid for with GG savings! ) & I have not been clipping htem. I have been leaving them in the coupon sections, date them & then when I print out the GG for the week I go to the corresponding week & clip them on an as needed basis.

I have all 3 grocery stores within 2 miles of our home so gas & drive time really isn'tan issue.I would guess on a week to week basis I spend about 3 hours of clipping, driving AND shopping.

I hope that helps.

Oh! Also, you can get a 4 week trial of the Grocery Game for only $1. If you don't like it, you just don't renew. And again, if anyone joins, I would appreciate the referral.

#4 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 04:24 AM

WOW!!! I spend $150-$200 a week for a family of 4! (includes diapers, wipes, and other various non food items!)

where is the grocery game? is it a .com? or something through this site?

Johnnie
#5 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Hi Liz! Roxanna and I both do the grocery game as well. I don't save as large of a percentage because I only buy 1 newspaper but I think eventually I will get up to buying more. It really does organize everything for you so all you have to do is check off what you want to buy on the list, locate your coupons (which should be organized so you can easily find them but mine aren't), and print up the list.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#6 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 11:09 AM

Location: The Funny Farm, Where life is beautiful all the time...
Likes Earned: 10
What's the link for more information?

Kim
DH Chris 8-6-94 **15 Years! **

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." Warren Buffett
Mom to Lauren 10/26/04 & Ryan 4/6/06 MC 3/22/07 Comet (10-5-09... RIP Bubba) Visit me @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#7 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Administrator

http://www.thegrocerygame.com

Elaine White

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#8 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 11:53 AM

Sweet! I'll have to check it out. Thanks Elaine.

Kim

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." Warren Buffett
Mom to Lauren 10/26/04 & Ryan 4/6/06 MC 3/22/07 Comet (10-5-09... RIP Bubba) Visit me @
&...

#9 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 11:55 AM
Administrator

No problem! Oh and I dug up my receipt from last week at Kroger and like I said, I don't save as big a percentage as the other lady but I only use one set of coupons.
I spent 94.45 and my total savings from my Plus card, coupons, and "bonus coupons" (doubled coupons) was $53.32

Elaine White

#10 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Administrator

The one grocery store listed in my area is a more expensive chain too but it is the only grocery store around here. I'd have to drive 40 mins to go to a super walmart or any other place.
Just so you know Liz, it takes a good month to build up to the point that you even have most of the coupons they match up in the list.

Elaine White

#11 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 01:15 PM
Special Member

I had the same problem Liz. There was only 1 local store and it is the most expensive. I tried it for a month, but honestly I'm just too damned lazy to spend all that time clipping coupons, then running all over town. I wish I could find the time to do it .. I spend around $200 a week too and it's killing me!
#12 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 01:16 PM

I used to do the regular coupon shopping, but when the stores went to the 'card' system i dotn save as much... I shop mostly between Winco, SuperWalmart, and Costco (mostly for one time stop stuff, not weekly stuff... but i stock up on meat, diapers, wipes, lunch items, ziploc baggies, coffee).. My DH was just looking into buying a half a cow to see if its cheaper since we have a big huge freezer in the garage - but I prefer Chicken or pork than hamburger . I will try the free trial and see the difference - I hate spending the money on groceries - it just kills me each week iwould rather have new shoes! LOL
#13 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 01:23 PM

Johnie..... yep... the 1/2 cow thing is a GREAT way to go. The meat is so much better. We did that for a while and really need to go back to it. When we had ours processed, you could specify how you wanted it cut. That would allow for a few different options and you can get less hamburger if you don't want it.

Kim

&...

#14 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Buying a cow actually saves a ton of money Johnnie! And if you freeze it, you don't have to use it very quickly and you can go a year or more without buying beef.

Elaine White

#15 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 01:31 PM

Brock (DH) hunts Elk and Deer - so we usually have a freezer full of Roasts, steaks, ground, etc... however this past season he didnt get anything - every year past he has usually got one or the other - or both (as redneck as that sounds - lol) and I cant stand paying the money per pound and the grease from cow meat - gag!
Im just not a red meat eater - LOL Im not against it, I just prefer the 'lighter' meats.. I bought a 20lb pack of ground from the butcher a while ago, and I feel like thats all we have eaten Tacos, Meatloaf, hamburgers, speghetti, etc...Im running out of ideas! LOL time to take a break and just eat soup and sands for a while I suppose!
#16 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 01:38 PM

Dawn - that is how I feel - running all over town to save 2c/lb on bananas just isnt a savings to me - my time is worth more than that and so is my sanity of dragging a 2 year old all over town! ) *sigh* I miss Homegrocers.com (anyone remember them?) they would almost put it away for you!

Also, when i do have a coupon the 'off' brand is usually cheaper than the name brand with the coupon anyways! OR they are coupons of items I dont use.

We just got a Walmart here about 6 months ago, and its 20 minutes away from my house - and its been a savings for me - I just have to stay out of the other areas!
I never understood the hype until we got one! WHOOHOOO!!!
#17 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 01:49 PM

what is your email address - Im going to try the trial.. dont know if I will keep it or not after that, but we will see.
#18 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 01:50 PM - Thead Starter

Wow! Lots of responses this morning!

If you would like to use me as a referral, my e-mail addy is [email protected]

The web site is http://www.thegrocerygame.com/ (AND there is a FREE Walgreen's list each week, too & I have saved a good deal on that a few times...it is just a little harder because you have to mail stuff in) & the 4 week trial is only $1.

I know I sound like I am really pushing this, but doing the Grocery Game got us through some REALLY tough times last year & it has basically changed our lives...this time last year we didn't think we were going to be able to keep our house let alone go on vacation because we had gotten really screwed over on my business that we sold. We lost many tens of thousands of dollars in addition to no longer having the income from the business. Well, mainly because of the Grocery Game, we were able to keep plenty of food on the table & by April of last year we were able to start putting money back in savings. We then started taking the difference between what had been our normal grocery bill & what I am now spending using the GG & putting that amount into savings on a monthly basis. In December we went to San Diego/Disneyland/Las Vegas...our daughters, 3 & almost 6, got to go to Disneyland for the first time...they got to see Christmas at Disneyland & more importantly, got to participate in the 50th Anniversary! I just feel like I owe a lot to GG for how well our family has been able to recuperate from what would have been an absolutely devistating situation last year! I am very thankful I found it!

Anyway...to get internet coupons (in addition to the newspaper ones) I go here:

http://www.couponmom.com/

To see when a certain coupon was published I go here:

http://www.couponmom.com/coupons.php?sort=!Descrip&market=100 (this is for Texas & it is from the same site as just above...click on the "Virtual Coupon Organizer" link)

For general savings & coupon codes to places like Children's Place, TGI Friday's, Boston Market, Gymboree, Ann Taylor, Babies R Us, Gap, Disney Store, Baskin Robbins, Crayola Store, etc. you can go to:

http://www.couponcabin.com/

A currant GREAT deal - Go here:
http://www.restaurant.com/index.asp?...35&PID=1348619

Enter your zip code, pick some resturant certificates & use 50% off coupon code - 38796

Here is an example of how it works...One of our favorite resturants is Campisi's. We can get a certificate that gives up $25 off a $35 purchase. The cert is usually $10, but only $5 with the code. That means we pay only $15 for a $35 meal! That will feed the 4 of us AND have leftovers!

I hope you ladies find some of this helpful!
#19 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 01:59 PM

thanks - I used your email as referral.
#20 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 02:01 PM

OMG - I just learned that Albertson's takes other stores coupons????? I think i just earned my buck back already - LOL
#21 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 02:03 PM - Thead Starter

Thank you, I appreciate that!

I am thinking about doing the half a cow thing, too...We live in north Texas so we have pretty mild weather here - realativly speaking, of course! SO we can do a lot of grilling...But I love grilling so much that I'd do it in the snow just because I am a dork.

What are good prices for 1/2 cow per pound? I have been quoted $2.25/lb. Is that good?
#22 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 02:04 PM - Thead Starter

Hahahaha! Yes...they do take other store coupons AND that includes the ones that are printed off at the register.

I am glad your dollar was well spent!
#23 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 02:11 PM - Thead Starter

Oh! And a couple more things...The GG site also has bulletin boards where you can ask questions, compare notes, etc., too. I have found them to be very helpful.

And you might have noticed that there were no toothbrushes, dental floss or toothpaste on my list of savings...That is because I stopped buying it. I think I have enough of all that to support a small country for half a year! At last count I had 46 tubes of toothpaste (Mentadent, Aquafresh Extreme Clean, Colgate MaxFresh, Crest Whitening Expressions, etc), we have about 9 Glide floss & close to 40 toothbrushes (DO YOU KNOW HOW EXPENSIVE GOOD BRUSHES ARE??? HOLY COW! $4 for a toothbrush??? Someone was hitting the crack pipe!)...For any of the above named items, I now think anything over .75 cents is TOO expensive!
#24 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 02:26 PM

Liz -
I dont think the home delivery services take coupons - but I havent used safeway.com..

We only have Winco (bag your own), Safeway, and Albertsons, and now Walmart - - and of course Costco. But none are close to us either and are in opposite directions - - Walgrens down the road too :P

I think the doubling comes from the Tuesday Ads that come free in the paper once a week? (here its called Foodday and comes on Tuesdays ? oh thats today!! )

Im in Portland (actually Gresham) , Oregon!! just a few hours south of you!! *waving* Im headed up to Seattle in March for the JBJ Concert!!!
#25 of 33 Old 01-24-2006, 02:42 PM - Thead Starter

I think the best way to find out about diuble/triple coupons in your area would be to call the store directly. Kroger & Tom Thumb double up to .50 & triple up to .35, but Tom Thumb only does it on the FIRST coupon so I usually do 2 transactions.

Albertson's is by FAR the most expensive store in our area, but I still mamaged to save 76% & that was where I got the pull ups, milk, meat & produce.
#26 of 33 Old 01-25-2006, 01:56 PM

Cheshier Cat -

I have joined for the free trial, I have my Weekly Free Paper coupons (we call it the Foodday), and I have last Sunday's coupons. Im giddy about doing this! LOL

Im printing my lists and checking it twice! Im ready to go!
oh and because I wasnt sure if I would contiune with this after the free trial, I did have some friends sign up with your email as the referral as well - - they are trying it out themselves too!
#27 of 33 Old 01-25-2006, 08:55 PM - Thead Starter

Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

I will also let you know if I come across anymore good deals.
#28 of 33 Old 01-26-2006, 08:42 PM

I swear by the Grocery Game too .. did it a few years back and I've just gotten back into it in the past few weeks ... went to Kroger today and got $402 in groceries and only paid a little over $122

LOVE this!!!!
#29 of 33 Old 01-26-2006, 09:31 PM - Thead Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxanna
I swear by the Grocery Game too .. did it a few years back and I've just gotten back into it in the past few weeks ... went to Kroger today and got $402 in groceries and only paid a little over $122

LOVE this!!!!
Good job, Roxanna! You ROCK, Chica!
#30 of 33 Old 02-04-2006, 10:44 PM

question -

Im not getting my lists weekly? The last list I have when I log in is Jan 29 - 31... are these only good once in a while?
Ive been saving the sunday coupons and store flyers that come in the weekly free paper (tuesdays)...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page