Food price hikes changing U.S. eating habits - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-01-2008, 07:11 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 2
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Melissa Marks didn’t used to give much thought to her trips to the grocery store — if she needed a gallon of milk or a carton of eggs, she’d just hop in her car and get it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23882299/

Milk and eggs are my "****!" items - what about you? What's killing your budget?
Where are you trying to economize?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Thankfully our grocery store does a sale on half gallons (4/$5) every few weeks and so I can stock and save a bit there if I shop at the beginning of the sale and again right at the end. We go through SO much that it would kill me to pay the regular $3.49 a gallon... geeze that would be like $17 a week on just milk!

Still not horribly exensive but I've noticed that I pay the same for a small can of Maxwell House that 3 years ago I paid for a large can.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#3 of 4 Old 04-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
I guess the big thing for us is meat and soda...I feel like I'm always trying so hard to stretch those 2 items!

#4 of 4 Old 04-03-2008, 05:49 AM

Likes Earned: 22
Meat, Meat, Meat! Since I am serious coupon and sale shopper, I am able to keep a fairly good stockpile of staples. I buy milk 2 or 3 gallons at a time when it is on sale, since I can always freeze it. Eggs I buy 5 dozen at at time (Walmart has the best price around here). But Meat!?! My God! The prices are just about to kill us! I haven't been able to get ANY chicken for less than $2.50 a pound in forever. I normally have 10-20 pounds just sitting in the freezer - we are down to about 4 2 pound packages - that's normally 4 meals. But I have really been stretching the meat, let me tell you! I made a double batch of spaghetti sauce last night, but only used 1 pound of burger in it. Tomorrow I will take half the leftovers, add some spices and kidney beans to make chili and have Frito pies. The rest I will re-season to use for something else.

My DP is the only thing at the grocery store that I buy regardless of price. I do check the ads to see who has it cheapest and that is where I will go. But it is the ONLY thing in the house I buy just for me and I'm not about to give it up. Funnily enough, tho, the price hasn't gone up on them as much as I would have expected. Only about $0.50 a 12-pack.

Cold cereal is another one. Usually I have about 20 boxes put away to use. Right now I have 3 left. Unless I can find them on sale, I refuse to buy them. And I won't pay more than $1 a box, tops. Yes, I am cheap! LOL! When I can combine sales, I can still get them for $0.50 to $0.75 a box and that is when I stock up on them.

Snacks for the kids lunches. My kids take their lunch to school becasue it just got too expensive to buy them every ($1.75 per day X 2 = $3.50 a day X 5 = $17.50 a week X 4 = $70 a month!). I like to get them jello and pudding, Goldfish, etc to take along with a piece of fruit, a sandwich and a drink. But those have gotten so expensive that I just can't do it very often anymore. I am trying to think of a disposable cup so I can make Jello and Pudding at home for them to take. Believe it or not, Ally's school WILL NOT allow them to bring home ANYTHING from their lunches/lunch kit except a thermos. So using tupperware type containers is out. Until I can figure it out, they will just have to make do with what I can get.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page