9 Weird Things I Freeze to Save Money - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-26-2010, 06:56 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
t's official: I've become my grandmother. I realized it the other morning when I opened the door to our freezer.

That icy vault was packed to the brim. But -- in the finest tradition of my Grandma Yeager -- it wasn't filled so much with leftovers, like you'd find in most household freezers. You see, my Grams had a few deep-frozen secrets. She knew about weird stuff; weird stuff you can deep-six in the freezer and maybe save some money in the process.

9 Weird Things I Freeze to Save Money on Shine

I used to do a lot of this stuff, but now I have a smaller freezer and two more people in the house. In the military, we almost always froze our batteries, but we also had a special food free fridge to do it in, too.

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Some of those I've heard, other's I haven't. The one about putting wood with worms in it disturbs me ... I don't want worms anywhere near my food.
We only have a small apartment sized fridge/freezer and I don't have space for anything more than food. I don't even have space to stock up on meats that are on sale.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#3 of 4 Old 03-26-2010, 12:39 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
i didn't like the idea of possibly leaking batteries in the fridge either. We always froze them in the military, but we had a freezer just for that.

“

Euripides

”- John Barrymore “

#4 of 4 Old 04-01-2010, 01:54 PM

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 0
The batteries and the wood can be placed in a sealed baggie before putting them int he freezer. I've never frozen wood, but we do have some batteries in our deep freeze that are only ever used for camping (those real big square ones). We seal each one seperately, then put 2 or 3 in a gallon sized bag. No chance of them leaking. And they go in the door - food goes on the shelves. They aren't near each other.

I do place candles in the freezer until I am ready to use them. It does work to make them burn longer and more evenly, w/ less smoke. But once I take them out they stay out. They also go in baggies in case they break or some wax chips off.

My parents keep their coffee in the freezer since they don't drink much. Cigarettes will stay fresh in the freezer, too, as well as spices.

Bill keeps certain alcohol in the freezer. Me, I go thru it too fast to bother! LOL!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page