how do you budget for baby clothes? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-30-2000, 05:09 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, How does everyone budget for Baby Clothes.
Luckly we have many friends and family members with little ones close to our little ones age or a little older who pass there gently used clothing to our darling little daughter to wear . That is how we budget for baby clothes at this time.
Happy New Year in 2001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 12-30-2000, 05:17 PM
Special Member

It is so difficult to afford a baby these days. I have to avoid the baby sections at stores like Target or Walmart or I end up buying tons of clothes that the kids don't really need.

Personally, I'm hooked on those consignment sales. We have a few of them twice a year around here, and I always take their old clothes and pick up some for the next season.

Surprisingly, most of the clothes are in excellent condition, and many items are name brand (Osh Kosh, Gap, Carter's) that I could have never afforded in the first place.

Here's an article that I wrote about having babies on a budget. Perhaps you can find some other useful info in there. I'd love to hear any other suggestions!

https://babyuniversity.com/cgi-bin/jump.cgi?ID=689

#3 of 11 Old 12-30-2000, 05:33 PM - Thead Starter

Thanks Dawn for the Article I am reading it now.
Have a Happy New Year in 2001.

#4 of 11 Old 01-06-2001, 04:43 PM

I would like to say amen to dawn article about having a baby on a budget. My son is 6 mo old. I was absolutley amazed at how quickly he outgrew the bassinet/ swing/ pumpkin seat/ infant size diapers/ 0-3 mo clothes. Do your self a favor borrow/ or buy used as many of these beginning things as possible. Save every dime you can. You will need the extra money for many things before you know it. Formula, Diapers, Wipes, Tylenol, Orajel, Mylcon Drops, and shots are just around the corner and It will blow your mind how quickly it all adds up.
#5 of 11 Old 01-18-2001, 11:38 AM

My DH and I are expecting our first on August 9th, and I personally will be hitting all the garage sales this summer. I live in a middle class neighborhood right next door to an upperclass neighborhood. The garage sales that I go to, the people have so much money that they are selling brand new stuff dirt cheap. Also, my two sisters both have saved the stuff from my nieces and nephew, so I have plenty of stuff to choose from with them!!
#6 of 11 Old 01-18-2001, 01:43 PM

Likes Earned: 10
Thanks for the article Dawn!!

Also, try online auctions! I just got 5 Carters sleepers for 5 bucks!!! My mother and I are addicted to e-bay!!

You also may want to auction off your own clothing that your baby has grown out of! I just ended an auction and got $45 out of it! I will soon also have another auction up next week that has a LOT of 0-3 month, 3-6 month & some 6-9 month clothing!

Try it!!!

~Robyn~
~Mommy to~
Austin & Dylan

Remember, You don't stop laughing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop laughing..
#7 of 11 Old 01-25-2001, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Dawn!

I'm new to the Triad area. Can you let me know about any consignment sales around here. I stumbled on one in Lexington this fall but would like to go to any others that you know about.

Thanks.
#8 of 11 Old 01-25-2001, 03:10 PM
Special Member

I'll email you a few that I know of!
#9 of 11 Old 01-27-2001, 03:56 PM
Mia

We've been so lucky in this area!! We have three girls, so there are loads of hand-me-downs there. Also, my girls have 5 older girl cousins, and we get all their stuff, too.

I can't tell you how much money we've saved NOT buying clothes, bathing suits, shoes, socks, and jackets/coats. They might not be in the best of shape, but when they're playing in them, who cares?

I also have a couple good friends in the area that have girls a bit younger or older than mine, so we swap off when our kids' clothes don't fit or are in the off-season.
#10 of 11 Old 10-13-2005, 12:49 AM

hand me downs form family and friends, second hand stores, garage sales, hard rubbish colection, sales at target, k-mart etc.
#11 of 11 Old 10-13-2005, 08:16 AM
Special Member

We go to yard sales...I can find clothes there that still has the tag on it for $1.00

I love consignment stores

My neighbor beside and across the street from us gives us clothes when their child out grows them.

Around the holidays I try to buy 2 -3 outfits...something that is a little more dressy than just jeans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page