Day old Bread Stores - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-21-2002, 08:56 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just a quick question for those who go to bread outlet/day old bread stores: Is the bread there expired already or does it have a few days left before the expiration date? Is it really that much cheaper than buying store brand bread at the grocery store? What other things do they sell? There's a hostess store on the other side of town I want to try but I didn't want to make the trip if it wouldn't be worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 07-21-2002, 09:03 PM
Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I go to the Hostess thrift store every 2 weeks, and it is definitely worth it. I get 3 loaves of bread for like $1.50, and it's not expired, and very soft. It lasts for a while after I bring it home. The only thing I found is that the doughnuts don't taste as good from there, they dry out quicker, but everything else is great. I reccomend it, and you will save a lot of money!
#3 of 12 Old 07-21-2002, 09:08 PM

I agree with Tara..the Hostess stores are really great! They have a lot of specials like buy three boxes of Twinkies etc. for $4.00! I stock up and freeze them. I have never had a problem with their bread at all and it is still "good bread." The one in Indiana I used to go to (in Indianapolis) was connected to the actual Hostess Factory/warehouse. So the stuff there was just like an Outlet store..very cheap. Some of them even have cards where you get a punch for every dollar you spend and then you get a free loaf of bread, or $1 off your total. I really do recommend them!

#4 of 12 Old 07-21-2002, 09:14 PM
Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, I have one of those cards Meagan...I get 1 dollar off after all the spaces are filled.
#5 of 12 Old 07-21-2002, 09:18 PM - Thead Starter

Now you've gone and done it...you mentioned twinkies! When you freeze them do you just throw the whole box in the freezer or stick them in freezer bags?
I think I'll plan on stopping there this weekend and checking it out. I think our outlet store is right next to the town's Hostess factory also so hopefully I'll find some good deals!
#6 of 12 Old 07-21-2002, 09:42 PM

I just stick the whole box in the freezer. They are all individually wrapped and I haven't had a problem with them..but they never stay in the freezer all that long either! LOL Even if it is on the other side of town, it can be worth it to go like once a month and buy all of your bread and snacks there. I have also found that their bread prices are the same if not less than what you would pay for a generic brand at the grocery store and it is much better bread..like potato, wheat, and so on.

Alyse, I know you have probably said before, but where in Indiana are you?
#7 of 12 Old 07-22-2002, 12:14 AM - Thead Starter

I think I'll definitely try it. For now I get the Walmart wheat bread but to me it's just brown white bread. If I could get John to eat real wheat bread it would be quite a nutritional accomplishment (it would offset the twinkies at least )

I live in Terre Haute - I moved here when John and I got married about a year and a half ago but prior to that I had lived in Indianapolis (aka "the big city") my whole life. I went to college up in Marion - I think I'm one of those people who will never get across state lines
#8 of 12 Old 07-22-2002, 04:20 AM

Likes Earned: 22
Alyse, I was born not to far from Terre Haute! Town called Sullivan, born at Mary Sherman hospital. Ever heard of it? My grandmother and greatgrand parents lived in Shelburn (about 20 minutes from Sullivan) until they died. I missvisiting Indiana. I haven't been back since Mammay dies 7 years ago.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#9 of 12 Old 07-22-2002, 07:23 AM

Alyse, my hometown is not too far either....a little town called Spencer outside of Bloomington. We lived in Indianapolis too when Court was stationed at Ft. Harrison. And my FIL lives in Marion! How cool. I really miss Indiana and someday we will get to go home again.
#10 of 12 Old 07-22-2002, 12:19 PM

We go to the bakery thrift store also. The bread is never expired .. just close to it. But as much bread as we eat around here, it never gets old before it is gone. We also get great deals on snack cakes and soup mixes!
#11 of 12 Old 07-22-2002, 01:13 PM - Thead Starter

What a small world! Yes I've heard of Sullivan, John's dad goes camping there a lot. I've heard of Spencer too but haven't ever been there. I was so ingrained to Indy speak that I'm still learning what's in the "Wabash Valley" - lol.
#12 of 12 Old 07-22-2002, 03:10 PM
Addicted Member

We get can also get really good deals on bagels and snack cakes and spices at our bread store, too. And when we have cookouts or something to go to, you can get 3 BIG packs of hotdog or hamburger buns for $1.19! I love that place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page