BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews

BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews (https://www.babyuniversity.com/forum/index.php)
-   Budgeting, Finance & Frugal Living (https://www.babyuniversity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Question about coupons? (https://www.babyuniversity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2643)

Wendy 04-28-2001 08:08 PM

Is anyone here a coupon fanatic? With Denny coming home soon, I've been trying to find ways to save us some money. How much on average do you save if you use coupons. Dh does not want to use coupons but if our grocery bills end up like they were in Mississippi we will need them. In Mississippi it was awful. I hated going grocery shopping.

So if how much have you guys saved on coupons. I would love to save money on our grocery bill. Right now I only use the ones for baby stuff.

Kristenph 04-30-2001 11:14 AM

I am not a coupon fanatic, but I try!! Seriously, between sale prices and coupons, I save about $10-15 a week (that is mainly sale prices though.) The thing is, you should only use coupons on items you buy anyway. A lot of times, the store brand item is cheaper than the name brand with the coupon so watch out for that! I use coupons for about all my cleaning supplies (I still use name brands for that stuff). I watch the sale ads and stock up when stuff's on sale. One thing I used to do was find the sale prices at all the different grocery stores and then buy the stuff at Super Wal-mart because they will match prices. I don't do that anymore because the Wal-mart here is a little to far away for me to grocery shop and it is too crowded that I get in a foul mood.

cloud9cl 05-01-2001 08:00 PM

If you have access to the military commisary, buy taxable stuff in there, but watch out for the 5% surcharge. If tax in your state is less than 5% it's not worth it. I've noticed that household cleaners, formula, and diapers are cheaper in the commisary (at least in Colorado). Anyway, if you use coupons, sometimes you will pay the same price for name brands in the commisary that you would pay for generic or store brands offpost. Just don't feel pressured to buy something just because you have a coupon!

Tara 05-01-2001 08:40 PM

I buy the Sunday Paper EVERY week and there are always coupons in there...plus the sales papers!! I also use the coupons I get at the check out line. I have saved as much as $60.00 in one trip to the store. I always clip all the coupons for everything I use even if I don't need them at that moment...I use them later. My husband calls me the Coupon Queen. Also anyone else you know that gets coupons and doesn't use them...ask them to save them for you.

I only buy name brand stuff and they are always putting out coupons.....I believe in "You get what you pay for"!! But that's just me! Like someone else said....watch for the sales and buy what you need at them. I have been to as many as three places to do my shopping and saved BIG money. Good Luck!!

Wendy 05-02-2001 11:19 AM

wow Tara~
you've saved 60.00. That is awesome! DH and I will have to see how it goes. He gets impatient so I my have to just do all the grocery shopping! He used to go with me all the time!

Tara 05-02-2001 11:37 AM

Wendy~ Don't feel bad b/c my DH doesn't like to go eaither.....he used to go all the time and did it happily but these days he isn't so gracious!! I think my DH hates dealing with all the stupid people when we go. I have to admit everyone here is always in such a hurry and very rude about it!!

Meagan 05-02-2001 10:59 PM

I buy two Sunday papers every week and have lots of people save their coupons for me. It takes some time to really save a lot. And you need to find an organization system that works best for you. If there is a Kroger near you they offer upons (other stores do as well..you might check out their websites) for their generic products. I order coupons at least once per week and they send them to you. It is totally free. The Kroger here also doubles these coupons. The amount you save also can depend upon if your store doubles coupons or not. Around here they only double up to $.50. But once in a while they have a special and double up to $1.00. They are having that special this week at my Kroger as well as tripling coupons up to $.50. I got $75 worth of groceries for only $15. I have done better..saving as much as $80 in one trip. A really great book to read about using coupons is called "Shop Save and Share" by Ellie Kay. She goes into detail about how to really use coupons to save a lot of money. I highly recommend it!