BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews

BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews (https://www.babyuniversity.com/forum/index.php)
-   Budgeting, Finance & Frugal Living (https://www.babyuniversity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How do budget for the baby dergent to wash the baby clothes? (https://www.babyuniversity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277)

CAGmomof1 01-01-2001 04:09 PM

Hello, How do budget for the baby dergent to wash the baby clothes?
Happy New Year!

Dawn 01-01-2001 05:55 PM

I bought a box of Dreft right before each of my babies were born, and used it on their clothes until I ran out. It lasted a few months each time. Then I just started using our detergent.

I have very sensitive skin, so I've used Tide Free for years. Recently I tried Wisk Free liquid, and am pleased with it. Not cheap, but less expensive than Dreft. I also use about half as much as I would for our clothes

And of course, I stock up when they are on sale and always use coupons.

Any other suggestions?

CAGmomof1 01-01-2001 06:00 PM

We still use dreft for Haley's clothes but I have ultra sensitive skin so I use Arm and Hammer Dye Free for Sensitive Skin and it seems to work on our clothes and I thinking of switching my daughters clothing to that once we run out of her dergent again.
Thanks and Have a Happy New Year!

sookeylynn 01-06-2001 04:36 PM

I had several samples of dreft and used them for the first few weeks that my son was born. I washed only a few of his things in Era to see if his skin would have a reaction and so far so good. I would have continued to use dreft if he would have had a reaction or any discomfort; but so far so good. I think the key is not using too much soap. and if in doubt run an extra rinse cycle.

sookeylynn 01-11-2001 09:10 PM

i have a coupon for 1.00 off dreft want it? e mail me your address and i will mail it to you. [email protected]

Wendy 01-11-2001 09:53 PM

I read in a baby book that if you use liquid soap it won't bother them as much because it rinses out better. We never used Dreft for Christian we just washed some of his clothes in to see if it would bother him and he was fine. We use Tide. It is the kind with no smell.

Wendy

Shannon 01-14-2001 08:00 PM

With my son every detergent bothers him. I end up using tide and running it through the rinse cycle an extra time just to get more of the residue out. That is the only thing that worked and it is les expensive that buying different detergent.

Aiyanna mom 01-14-2001 11:29 PM

With Aiyanna I could not use tide or Dreft she was just breaking out all the time. Thats when my docter said that I should use Dove the kind we wash are body with. So I tried it and she has not broken out yet.

CAGmomof1 01-25-2001 01:11 PM

Shannon, I never thought about using regular dergent to wash our daughter's cloths in but now that you gave me the helpful tip on just to rinse her clothes on an extra rinse cycle that can really save our family alot of money!
Thanks for the wonderful tips!

Mia 01-27-2001 04:00 PM

I've always used Tide for my kids' clothes...even the baby ones. I do use Dreft for newborn sleepers, but only for the first week or two.

EvaK 01-29-2001 09:32 AM

My husbands skin is very sensitive, and the only thing working for him is arm and hammer perfume and dye free. I just wash my sons clothes together with ours, and he is fine. I also use this detergent on his cloths diapers, and he never has a rash. It is not expensive and his tiny clothes always fit in between ours.

CAGmomof1 01-29-2001 09:54 AM

We also use Arm and Hammer but it is For Senstive Skin but I can never find it in a box or bottle big enough so I don't have to go back to the Grocery Store to buy more in less than two weeks! I even add a little water to it to make sure that it will last longer but that doesn't even help! So we started using a cheaper price of washing dergent for our clothes I still have not ran out of dreft! But I am extra rinsing all of our clothes so I find most of the time even if I pay a cheaper price on washing dergent it doesn't break us out and makes our clothes cleaner and makes him smell really good!

denise4cat 02-28-2001 10:20 PM

I use All for sensitive skin. I have never used any baby detergent. It is so expensive. Any detergent for sensitive skin should be fine.

Denise

Spaggie 03-04-2001 06:18 PM

Everything broke me out when I was young, so for years all I used was Arm & Hammer. It was the only thing that didn't give me a rash. I still can't use Ivory soap! Mainly I buy what ever is on sale that I have coupons for, but I always try just a few articles of clothing first to make sure no one will have a reaction to it. DD (who was 2 months on the 3rd) doesn't seem to have reactions to anything so far and I've tried 5 different brands. Although I still do the extra rinse cycle on her clothes, just in case.

DUMBO30 05-17-2001 02:51 AM

Like many I used dreft at first (bought 1 box) and then went to using regular detergent. It just got too costly. I think it is more that you rinse them well so none of the detergent is left behind.

KJBBDOLL 05-17-2001 12:26 PM

With the boys i used Dreft for a month or so and then just put them straight on Tide with Bleach! No problems so i didn't even use Dreft with Emily's clothes. The boys do have sensitive skin too. When we were visiting my b-mother in Vermont we used her Purex detergent and both boys got rashes on their entire body. So, i think that what ever you use should probably be just fine for the baby. I just wouldn't use straight bleach on the white items for your baby.