Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-05-2003, 04:40 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here are six ways to get better health care for fewer dollars:

1. Make sure you really need to see a doctor. Consult a self-care book first, or if available through a local hospital or your insurance plan, call a nurse hot line. Don't go to the doctor for a cold or the flu to ask for antibiotics. Antibiotics are only effective against bacteria. A virus causes your cold/flu.

2. Avoid emergency rooms unless it's a true life and death emergency. They charge far more than a doctor would, and often, your health insurance won't cover it in full or at all.

3. Ask your doctor if he or she is willing to negotiate a fee if you don't have insurance coverage.

4. Don't blindly accept recommendations for diagnostic tests. Ask yourself if they are really necessary. Sometimes a "wait and see" approach might be the better choice.

5. Request an itemized bill, especially for hospitalization. Mistakes can happen.

6. Ask your doctor to prescribe generic medicines when possible. Ask for free samples. Prescription prices can vary, so shop around.

These tips came from: Dollar Stretcher

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-05-2003, 10:12 AM

Likes Earned: 0
Thanks for the tips.
#3 of 8 Old 01-05-2003, 01:40 PM

Yeah, I loved the military way at the time also.

Brent's job keeps switching plans and now we have an awful insurance its new and it sucks, we were suppoe to have nothing taken out of his check but they are taking out $40 a week and we don't know why...he's got to check it out tomorrow when he goes back to work.

Oh yeah for the first $2000 we don't pay co-pays, or prescription costs then the next $1200 we have to pay all then after that they will pay 80% and we pay 20%...sound good until you realize Brent's meds cost $300 a month and mine and Alex's cost $150 a month so by August we will almost be out of the $2000 and have to find a way to pay all our meds full price how I don't know!!!!! That's not including any drs visits in between...that's $2000 for all 5 of us! I'd much rather pay a co-payment for drs and prescriptions.

#4 of 8 Old 01-05-2003, 03:32 PM - Thead Starter

It sure adds up quickly, doesn't it Rebecca? This year will be the first time since Drew was born that we are actually going to deduct for medical expenses. What a pain!

~*~Brenda~*~

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#5 of 8 Old 01-05-2003, 10:06 PM

Deduct? How do you do that?
#6 of 8 Old 01-06-2003, 11:34 AM - Thead Starter

If you have over a certain amount in medical expenses, you get to deduct a portion of it over that amount (I think it is $500 or more, but I'm not sure). This year we have well over $1000 in medical, dental and Rx, so we will get to deduct a portion of that from our taxes.

~*~Brenda~*~

#7 of 8 Old 01-06-2003, 11:42 AM - Thead Starter

Oh yeah! You HAVE to itemize to do this.

~*~Brenda~*~

#8 of 8 Old 01-09-2003, 01:51 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Great tips and I have to say we try to do all the above and my doctors are so good about giving samples out. I even got my diabetic moniter free with testing strips and stick tips. (Whatever you want to call them.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page