Need help on best places for children's clothing (for savings) - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 04-17-2003, 04:00 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need to find more savings when it comes to clothing. Our toddler is now leaving size 24 months and moving on to a toddler 3 size.

I want to get Michael some summer clothes but I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 04-17-2003, 04:06 PM
Special Member

Do you have a good thrift store near you? Or a consignment shop? Maybe a resale shop too.

And you could always post a sign at your church or library that says something like WANTED: Size 3 boys clothing.

I have a friend of mine who cleans a ladies house and she gives her all her sons outgrown clothing for her services. It is a really neat way to barter for goods!
#3 of 17 Old 04-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Some of the cheapest clothes we've come across are the geranimals. You can buy a shirt and the shorts for 5.00(2.50 each) We buy them for Christian sometimes and if he stains them when he plays then we aren't really out of a lot of money! I personally like to get his clothes at Target.

I'd send you Christian's but his 3T's are winter clothes. He wears 5T this summer.

#4 of 17 Old 04-17-2003, 04:23 PM
Addicted Member

I was going to suggest some of the things Roxanna did, but she beat me to it.

I've been able to get some really nice things at the Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift stores CHEAP! I've gotten a lot of things on clearance at Wal-Mart and K-Mart. Some things on Ebay and Yahoo! Auctions, too. I think I got all of Jonathan's 12-18 month things at garage sales, though. I picked up all his winter clothes at a garage sale during the summer for like 50 cents each for new overalls and pants. I must have lucked out on guessing what size he'd be come winter. Garage sales absolutely saved us there! They've had several sales here at some of the big churches. We went to one last week that had a TON of stuff in all sizes for 25 cents a piece. (Had Jonathan not been throwing a fit at the time, I'd probably have racked up some more stuff!)

I was going to suggest trading with someone if you knew anyone with kids a little bit older and younger. Trade some of the things that Michael has outgrown for some things that her child has outgrown.
#5 of 17 Old 04-17-2003, 04:25 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Thank you Roxanna and Dina for the ideas!

There is a consignment shop down the street but all they have infant clothing and a few things that I bought for Spring. The owner has not not gotten anything lately in.

I have thought about going to the Factoy2U Outlet in town. My sister Diane goes there and says that she finds some nice clothing there. I have never been there. Has anyone?

I am going to take your advice and see if I can moms in our playgroup who can swap clothes or check out local yard sales in my area.
#6 of 17 Old 04-17-2003, 05:12 PM
Special Member

I get most of my kids "play" clothes at the old navy outlet. Last week I bought tons of new shirts and shorts for $1.98 each. Cheap and they hold up really well. There are certain brands I will not buy no matter how cheap the price because they they don't hold up well.
#7 of 17 Old 04-17-2003, 05:56 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 3
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage Sales are a great way to pick up some cheap clothing. Walmart is another great place to shop for cheaper kids clothing.
#8 of 17 Old 04-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
I love Old Navy and Gap but my Gap never seems to have sales and I am not spending 40.00 on a shirt that he will wear for a short time--not at this point....he is growing too fast...lol

But Target I love. Their clothes have held up good. I figure I have my time coming for the expensive clothes for the little man (I know my parents did...lol)

The Geranimals I mostly buy because I know if we ruin them I could care less...but they are actually good for as cheap as they are.
#9 of 17 Old 04-17-2003, 09:10 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 2
Sandra, I have some 2T and 3T's that you can have. They were given to me by a neighbor, and it will be a long time before Jared
fits in to them. I have 3 prs shorts, 2 that have "matching" shirts, and about 4-5 other shirts.

Just let me know !!
#10 of 17 Old 04-18-2003, 03:03 PM
Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I pretty much buy all of Joey's clothes at the local thrift store, or on sale at Target or Walmart. When we went on a cruise last January, I actually bought him a complete suit (shirt, slacks, jacket, tie, and shoes) for about $10.00 shipped. It's adorable! Unfortunately he's outgrown it now (it's a 2T). Sometimes you can find lots of clothing on eBay, too, that are reasonable. Just know how much you'd be willing to pay, and be sure to factor in shipping.

If you're handy with a sewing machine, you can make clothes, too. Shorts are pretty easy. Since buying fabric is usually outrageously expensive, I usually get the fabric by looking at the local Salvation Army "Last Chance" store for a women's skirt or dress (denim or another fabric). Then I cut the shorts from it. All clothing there is 89 cents, so it's a pretty good deal that way. Sometimes you can get two pairs of shorts from one skirt.

Good luck!
#11 of 17 Old 04-21-2003, 04:46 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

I sew by hand since I never had a sewing machine but I guess I can try to find a use sewing machine and make some.

The old Navy store by us has sales but still they are expensive at times. I have only bought 2 shorts there on clearance.

Lisa,
Are you you can part with those clothes? Jared might be using them by summer. Let me know. By the way, maybe we can get together with the kids this Spring or summer since we live near each other.

Jennland18 lives in Universal City not far from us and she wants to meet other Baby U moms too.
#12 of 17 Old 04-21-2003, 04:57 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 2
I'm sure- Jared it just now getting into 12 -18 mos sizes, so it will be at LEAST a year until he fits into them.
#13 of 17 Old 04-21-2003, 05:00 PM
Addicted Member

I agree with Target. I get brandon shorts and t-shirts for $3.99 each and around $2.88 when they are on sale.
#14 of 17 Old 04-21-2003, 09:13 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Thank you ladies for the great ideas!
#15 of 17 Old 04-22-2003, 02:09 AM

Likes Earned: 22
Always check the clearance racks at Target and Walmart. I bought a 3T bathing suit for Ally when she was less than a year old for only $1. (Reg $9.99) You just have to make your best guess for sizes. I buy alot of the Garanimals for Ally to play in - everyday clothes. Our Walmart sells them for $2.88 a piece and they are great to mix and match so you don't need as many.

I think everyone covered everything else. But I have to say garage sales are probably the best way to get good clothes are really cheap prices. And this time of year you can still get a really good selection. Check you local paper to see when and where they will be on the weekends. (And take plenty of $1's!)

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#16 of 17 Old 04-22-2003, 02:12 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Thanks Brenda!
#17 of 17 Old 05-21-2003, 09:07 PM
Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
And, if you do opt to try the sewing route, I heartily recommend Kwik-Sew's books. They have Sewing for Toddlers and Sewing for Children (among others). These books contain 'master patterns', which have every piece of every article of clothing in the book, which you can trace onto tissue paper to make your own patterns. Once in a while you'll find these books on eBay or Half.com, but even new, they're cheaper than buying individual patterns.

My sewing machine is a Brother, and I think it was only about $75 when we got it. A very simple machine -- no fancy stitches or anything -- but it does the job. I've since gotten a serger, which I have found to be a useful addition, but those run into some money (gotta love DH's Christmas shopping abilities!).

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page