Tyler's Birth Story - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-09-2002, 11:37 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, after nearly 3 weeks, I'm finally up to reliving Tyler's birth day.

We headed to the hospital about 7:00am on the morning of the 21st. We had gone the day before for all of the pre-op preparations, so we were told that it would make the whole process alot quicker for us.

We checked in around 7:30 am and almost immediately a nurse took me back to be prepped. I changed into my lovely hospital attire and hopped onto the bed. Most of the staff was wonderful! They took my stats, listened to Tyler's heartbeat, then put in my IV (she couldn't find a vein in the top of my hand, so she went for the underside -- OUCH! Don't ever go this route if you can avoid it! Every time they injected anything to my IV, it stung like the dickens!)

The anesthesiologist then came back to talk to me about the spinal and I warned him how scared I was about being numbed (last time I panicked when I realized I couldn't move anything from the chest down!). He never left my side from that point on. He talked to me about anything and everything to take my mind off my nervousness and went ahead and ordered a dose of valium to be given after Tyler was born, in case I was still panicky.

Shortly after 8:30 am, they wheeled me into the operating room (thankfully I wasn't allowed to eat after midnight the night before or I would have probably thrown up at this point!) I met all of the nurses and the other 2 anesthesiologists in the OR and we all joked a bit while they finished the preparations.

They then gave me my spinal block (which was relatively painless -- and much better than the epidural I had with Cody!) and I was instructed to lay down immediately as I began to go numb within seconds. At this point, Mike was finally allowed in to be by my side.

I have to say, I'm rather proud of myself. I didn't panic this time and I actually was able to talk and joke throughout the surgery. Last time I was so panic stricken that I blocked out most of the events and don't remember anything that went on. I even passed on the Valium which I was offered after Tyler was pulled out.

Anyway, there was a lot of tugging and pulling, which didn't hurt, but made me really lightheaded for lack of a better description. Tyler was finally born at 9:21 am and weighed in at a rather healthy (but much smaller than Cody) 8 pounds, 10 ounces and was 22 inches long (our basketball player!)

After he was born, I had my tubes tied (double knotted ) then they stapled me up. I spent a few hours in recovery where I received Demerol for the shakes and Benadryl for this awful itching I experienced as the spinal started wearing off.

Since Tyler was making some strange noises which they said could be attributed to fluid in his lungs, they took him to the nursery instead of allowing him to stay with us in the recovery room. He was fine, but they kept an eye on him for a few hours.

This c-section was definitely easier on me than the last and even the recovery seemed quicker -- amazing with 2 other kids at home! I'll probably do a separate post that covers the recovery period.

We were able to bring Tyler home on Christmas Eve and everyone seems to be adjusting well. Jessi and Cody just love their little brother and all in all, he's a very good baby (although I'd love an entire night's sleep!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 01-09-2002, 11:57 PM
Special Member

Dawn I am so glad to hear everything went so well for you!!! I also had a spinal with Connor and went numb almost instantly!! What a weird feeling eh?
Our deliveries sounded almost exact!! My nurse had a hard time finding my veins to and when Connor was born he has the same trouble with his breathing so he spent a bit of time in the NICU.
My blood pressure kept dropping so I had to stay in recovery a bit longer. I guess that is what happens when they are giving your Morphine every 5 minute!! I was so loopy!
How are you feeling today? Still pretty sore? How is Tyler eating? I know I have a ton of questions but just want to know how you and everyone is doing in general!!!
Take care, again, glad to hear everything went so well!
#3 of 10 Old 01-09-2002, 11:59 PM
Special Member

That is awesome! I am so glad everything went smoothly and that you were able to spend Christmas at home with everyone!!!

#4 of 10 Old 01-10-2002, 12:04 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Wow -- they really do sound similar. I was fortunate not to have any BP problems though (although I LOVE that morphine pump!). Did Connor make a 'humming' noise when he was born? We thought it sounded so sweet but they said that sometimes c-section babies sound like that when they have fluid in their lungs.

At any rate, I'm doing very well, all things considered. I have to remind myself not to overdo it because I really don't hurt anymore. Occasionally I get a little twinge, but no real pain. I'm still pretty tired though -- I'm sure it's a combination of lack of sleep and recovery from surgery. I seem to remember it taking months after Cody was born for me to get back to normal. Are you there yet??

Tyler eats constantly, but doesn't seem to be gaining much weight. Of course, you have to remember I'm used to Cody who came out weighing 9 lbs, 8 oz and left the hospital at 9 lbs, 5 oz. Then by 1 week check up, he was back to 9 lbs 8 oz and just kept going from there. Tyler has his 2 week check tomorrow, so we'll see if he's gained anything back. I'm sure he's fine, he's just so thin compared to Cody.

At any rate -- we're doing well. Thanks for asking -- hope you're fully recovered and life is getting back to normal for you too! Can't wait for that day myself!
#5 of 10 Old 01-10-2002, 12:45 AM
Special Member

I feel normal pyhsically now. No pain or anything at all. I know those twinges you are talking about, it is not horrid pain but it is almost a little reminder that you are doing to much. I just had to keep remembering that I just had major surgery and gave birth, and I had to heal on the inside to, not just the incision.
Connor sounded raspy when he was born, so they took him and put him under the oxygen dome And he was off it after about 2 hours.
I did not have a morphine pump but they would come in and give me 5ml of morphine every 5 minutes.
Connor still eats about 2 to 2.5 ounces every hour and a half. Or sometimes 4 oz or whatever he feels like eating!!
He went for his 2 month check up on Monday and he is now 13lbs!!!!! and 23inches long. When we left the hospital he weighed 7lbs 13oz. I cant believe that he has put on almost 6 pounds in 2 months. and he has grown 1 inch an 3/4.
Whew must be all the hotdogs and fries we are feeding him!!
I am still pretty exhausted most of the time, but I just do it. It is like you go in robot mode because you have to. you have these little people who are relying on you for everything. I would love to sleep through the night again, even for one day!! But that is ok it is all worth it in the end!
I am glad to hear everyone is well. Austin loves his little brother, but he is acting out alot more with Rich and I and not listening and yelling and screaming, basically everything a jealous 2 year old will do! But it will be better once Connor can actually play with him.(i hope!)
I wrote my birth story to a while ago, did you read it?
Anyway try to take it easy and rest when you can!!
#6 of 10 Old 01-10-2002, 02:37 AM
Special Member

I am glad to here that things went so well. I have always been scared of c-sections so hearing a good one helps!! Though I am still not with the thought of having one. I get sick off of just thinking about something like that...don't know why. But this is not about me..sorry!!! I am so glad that it was easier for you. Hope that Tyler gives you some extra sleep soon. Alexis starting sleeping five hours at nighttime at three weeks..maybe Tyler will!! I cannot wait to talk to you. And I promise I am going to come visit you sometime this spring..if that is okay? I can help you out with the kids!!!
#7 of 10 Old 01-10-2002, 05:49 AM

Sounds like my kind of birth. I am glad everything went well for you.
I was wondering does having your tubes tied increase the time of recovery? or dosen't it matter with all the other trauma. I have been thinking that if they let me have a c-section I will have tubes tied and 2 dermoid cysts removed from my left ovary!!! I wonder if it is any extra work for them?????
#8 of 10 Old 01-10-2002, 09:18 AM

Likes Earned: 10
I'm so glad everything went so smoothly Dawn!!

Mike is just going to have to learn to be a coach for a lot of sports! LOL With Cody the football player.. and Tyler the basketball player.. you're going to be quite busy!

Anyway.. It sounds like this time around was so much more pleasant for you, about time!

You get back to feeling better, we miss you around here!!! Can't wait to hear more about Tyler, and see some more pictures! Even if he is asleep in all of them! He's so dang adorable!!!!

~Robyn~
~Mommy to~
Austin & Dylan

Remember, You don't stop laughing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop laughing..
#9 of 10 Old 01-11-2002, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

on your beautiful baby boy!!!!!!!!!!!! I am glad you and Tyler are healthy and happy

Take Care
Shelby
#10 of 10 Old 01-17-2002, 03:24 AM

Congrats Dawn!! Sorry I haven't been around much. I'm missing all the action!! Sounds like you did great. I'm so glad that your feeling better. Sounds like little Tyler is one healthy baby boy. Glad your all doing well. Take care and HUGS!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page