[Week 7] Oh My Gosh! - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-02-2001, 10:26 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never thought I'd be one of our pregnancy journalists -- at least not this year. Imagine my surprise when a pregnancy test last week came back positive! I was scheduled for my 1 year follow up anyway, so I thought the test was just a technicality since my period was late.

I nearly keeled over when I saw BOTH lines! Mike had run to the store and seemed to be gone for hours while I sat there wondering how in the world I was going to manage another baby, less than 2 years younger than Cody, the wildman!

Of course Mike was absolutely thrilled -- probably more at the fact that his "supersperm" managed to defy all odds. Let's face it folks -- what are the chances of breaking through a condom with spermicide AND finding my one fallopian tube?

Two days after I found out that I was pregnant, I began experiencing some pain on my right side. Since I have had a previous ectopic pregancy, it was cause for concern. My previous ectopic pregnancy ruptured at nearly eight weeks, which left me in shock (literally) and unable to pick myself up off the floor. I was rushed into emergency surgery, had my tube removed, and was told that I had gotten there just in time. According to my calculations, I was nearing that 8 week mark already. With all this in mind, the doctor sent me to a diagnostic imaging center for a special sonogram, however they were unable to see the gestational sac in my uterus. As a plus, they didn't see anything in the tube either, but this didn't give me much comfort as they didn't before either.

Next was a series of Beta hCG tests. On Wednesday, my levels were at 625 and by Friday, they had risen to 1500+. A good rule of thumb is for the levels to double or triple every 2 to 3 days. We were right on track, but very low for the 7+ weeks that I figured I was. The levels were more consistent with about 4 to 5 weeks. This threw me into a complete panic as it was mimicking my previous experience.

My doctor and his nurse continued to try to convince me that the pregnancy was OK and I just was not as far along as I thought. But I knew within a week when my LMP was, so unless I was ovulating on a totally screwy schedule and had a very long cycle, it wasn't possible.

Anyway, after a week in a half of literally worrying myself sick, I went back for a follow up sonogram today. What a relief! They were able to spot the gestational sac in the uterus, although I would have felt much better if the heartbeat was detectable. But at least I no longer have the concerns of an ectopic pregnancy. According to the technician, I'm somewhere around 5 weeks -- which matches what my hCG levels are.

I imagine we'll do another sonogram in a few weeks to try to estimate a due date. Right now I'm guessing somewhere around the end of December, but that is really only a guess!

Now to try to figure out how I'm going to manage and to tell the world the news ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 05-02-2001, 10:49 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Dawn,

I am so excited for you and Mike! I was so worried about you for the longest time and am glad that things seem to working out okay now!!

CONGRATULATIONS
#3 of 15 Old 05-02-2001, 11:40 PM

Dawn all us pregnant ladies I am sure are glad to have you join our ranks.

Congrats to you and Mike and I hope you have a safe and healthy pregnancy.

Tricia

#4 of 15 Old 05-02-2001, 11:45 PM

Likes Earned: 10
**Whew**

So glad things are calming down with you Dawn! Although things are still up in the air, I'm glad some things have been settled! I was worried about you!

I can't wait till you find out more about little "Norback" ..(LMFLAO) Anyway.. I wish you Hope, Health and Happines.. (it's gonna be tough chasin' lil Code-Man around with that belly ya know?! LOL)

~*~*~Lotsa Love~*~*~

~Robyn~
~Mommy to~
Austin & Dylan

Remember, You don't stop laughing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop laughing..
#5 of 15 Old 05-03-2001, 12:22 AM
Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm sooo happy for you and Mike!!! I guess God had other plans for you!! I'm glad things are looking up, and I hope they continue to go that way!! I will keep you in my prayers!!
#6 of 15 Old 05-03-2001, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Dawn WOW!!! Congratulations. I happened to see the little mom-to-be under your name and was very surprised! My kids are 21 months apart but I just have 2. I am glad that everything is going alright!
#7 of 15 Old 05-03-2001, 09:57 AM
Special Member

I'm waitin' for some of that water you have been drinkin'...lol

CONGRATS!!!!! I'm very happy for you!!! Hope you have a healthy and happy nine or so months!!!!!

~~Wolfy~~
#8 of 15 Old 05-03-2001, 10:50 AM
Special Member

Congratulations!!! I hope that things continue to get better for you and that you have a great nine months!!
#9 of 15 Old 05-03-2001, 10:57 AM

Congrats!!!

I must say as a former obstetric ultrasound tech your story is special, and that was one of the reasons I liked my job so much. I wish the best for you and your family in the upcoming 9 months!

P.S. Could you send some H20 my way as well?? :~)
#10 of 15 Old 05-03-2001, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Congratulations Dawn I'm glad everything worked out--that is an incredible story, it made me want to cry.
#11 of 15 Old 05-04-2001, 01:13 PM
Special Member

Congrats, Dawn!

My 1st 2 kids are 13 months and 9 days apart. It can be handled. If you have a very supporting family, that makes it easier.

Best of luck and wishes.
#12 of 15 Old 05-07-2001, 11:12 AM
Special Member

WOW! What a surprise to come back to!! Congratulations Dawn! I am happy for you and Mike. I hope that things work out wonderful! I am sure you will be able to handle the kids just fine. Congrats again hun!!!!
#13 of 15 Old 05-10-2001, 04:01 AM
Special Member

Wow I havent been here for ahile and today I have been on for like an hour and a few minutes ago I just happened to read that thing under your name and I had to recheck that it was you! So many Congratulations! I will keep you in my prayers! Wow I am so excited for you! Italy was due on Dec 31.2000! So it seems so strange to me! You seem like an awesome mom so please dont worry about it... just be happy ... god will make it work out somehow... I didnt know how I was gonna do it with one but it is going pretty good even though we are going through rough times... and now youve scared me if I just read it right that you were using protection! All the best wishes and lots of prayers and hugs!!!!!!!!!
#14 of 15 Old 05-27-2001, 11:55 AM

Congr'ts Dawn and Mike! I've been off the computer for awhile and was totally surprised to see that you are expecting again. Happy thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family! An extra special christmas present for you and your family!!!

Mom Of 2 rugrats

Nathan-03/97
Brandon-12/98
#15 of 15 Old 05-27-2001, 04:29 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Thanks to everyone for the well-wishes. I especially got a kick out of those that had not been on in awhile, then were shocked to hear the news! LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page