For those of you who like Harry Potter... - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 10-31-2002, 01:52 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was flipping through the tv channels last night and came across a "Christian" channel that was doing a piece about Harry Potter and they were saying that it is promoitng witchcraft with youn hildren and teenagers. Do you agree or disagree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 33 Old 10-31-2002, 01:57 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

I disagree only because I feel its just fiction.

Maybe I shouldn't have started this thread....this may turn out to be a bad subject. I have a few thoughts but am not sure how to word them.....shoot.
#3 of 33 Old 10-31-2002, 02:06 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 2
I disagree also- it's just fiction, for cyrin' out loud! why is it OK to read fairy tales which involve witches ( Hansel & Gretel, Snow White , etc) to our children, but then not allow them to read basically the same thing for themselves?

The best I can figure, this book series has got children excited about reading- and I don't care what they say, that has got to be a GOOD THING !!

#4 of 33 Old 10-31-2002, 02:11 PM
Special Member

Anyone who has actually *read* the books would know better than to think they're "promoting" witchcraft. It's just another red herring for the fundamentalists to wave in our faces about the decline of morals and standards in the modern world.

To them, I say, get a life and open your minds a bit.
#5 of 33 Old 10-31-2002, 02:18 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Thanks you guys...you put it better and in "safer" words then I was thinking. I agree...my 9 yr old hates to read and he has just started reading them and he loves them. He even told me that he's like HP, kids pick on him but HP doesn't let it get to him so Alex said that's how he's gonna be....strong like HP and not let others words "hurt" him. That in itself makes me feel good about the books.
#6 of 33 Old 10-31-2002, 02:19 PM
Special Member

As someone who was raised Christian, and is now not...I feel that the Harry Potter books are imaginative. They are creative, and they are by no means factual.....

A well thought out story that encourages children to read....yes...that is what the series represents.

Wonderful series of books!!!!
#7 of 33 Old 10-31-2002, 02:28 PM

I agree, I think it is making wichcraft seem normal and good when I believe it is is neither. I confess though I did read the book and enjoyed it. I also let my 11 year old read it and we watched the movie. I did answer some of her questions about witchcraft and explain to her what the Bible has to say about it.

{(quate from Hisey)
It's just another red herring for the fundamentalists to wave in our faces about the decline of morals and standards in the modern world.
To them, I say, get a life and open your minds a bit}

I guess I could be called a fundamentalist. A very openend minded one though I believe we as Christians need to know what is going on and should not keep our children hidden away and sheltered from everything. How else would they learn to be strong and make the right decisions otherwise. My children know that just because something looks nice, or everyone else is doing it that does not neseccarily make it right.
#8 of 33 Old 10-31-2002, 02:43 PM

I disagree it is getting to the point that anyone can find evil in anything that they look at. Devin likes it because it is neat and it is something that him and dh can watch together and talk about. So these people just need to stop pulling everything apart to find the evil in it. SORRY but I have heard this before and it just gets me going.
#9 of 33 Old 10-31-2002, 03:07 PM
Special Member

I think kids who are old enough to read Harry Potter books are smart enough to know that it's just fiction, and there really isn't a Hogwarts, Voldemort, or any of the other things found in the book. I don't think J.K. Rowling wrote the books to recruit members for Wicca.

I've heard that Harry Potter argument before, and I must admit, it really irritates me. There is so much true evil in the world, why make such a big deal out of a fictional story.
#10 of 33 Old 10-31-2002, 03:09 PM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
When I was a little girl, I read the Narnia tales which are also full of witchcraft and in a lot of ways not that different from Harry Potter. Kids want to believe in magic. Heck, I would like to believe in it again. Why take what little magic and imagination children have in their lives when we are on the brink of world war with wide spread terrorism, rape and violence in the schools? Heck, I think we could all use a little more magic in our lives.

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

#11 of 33 Old 10-31-2002, 03:20 PM
Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you like the book(s), then read it...if you don't like it, then DONT READ IT. VERY simple to me. Same thing for the movies...
#12 of 33 Old 10-31-2002, 03:31 PM
Special Member

I don't think these books are promoting witchcraft at all. Most of us grew up reading Snow White, Hansel and Gretel, Cinderella, etc., and a lot of us grew up watching Bewitched, but we knew it wasn't real. It's just fun for kids to imagine and pretend.

Heck, my son is only two and already pretends to pull rabbits out of hats. Does that mean he's on the road to being a witch (or is it warlock for boys?). It's all fun and I see nothing wrong with it.

And if you want to bring the Bible into it, aren't there stories about turning water into wine, walking on water, the dead arising, etc.? Even if it's metaphoric, won't children read or listen to these stories and think they actually happened? Some of the same kind of tricks are done in Harry Potter and other children's fairy tales.
#13 of 33 Old 10-31-2002, 05:19 PM
Special Member

For information purpose's---

A witch is a gender neutral term. Not all Wiccans are witches not all witches are Wiccan.

I am strong in the belief that one has the right to believe what they feel is correct for them, spirituality wise. I believe there is magick that occurs in everyday life. No words no motions...it just happens.

If anyone has any questions on Wicca or being Pagan, I am open to being asked. PM or open forum.
#14 of 33 Old 10-31-2002, 06:36 PM
Special Member

OK ... here's my worth ...

We LOVE Harry Potter in our household. We are Christians. Currently our homeschooling curriculum revolves around harry Potter and The Chamber Of Secrets.

I don't think many of these Christians would promote Hansel and Gretle or The Wizard Of Oz anymore than they do harry Potter.

You have to teach your children the difference between fantasy and reality ... if they know the difference then they will realize that they is not a platform 9 3/4 where you can cross into the Wizard world. They will understand that Muggles can not attend a "pretend" school called Hogwarts.

I'm sure some children or teenagers out there have blamed Harry Potter's World on their interest in witchcraft. However, if they are really interested in witchcraft, they can get on the internet and research "REAL WITCHCRAFT" .... and not on the Harry Potter web site!!
#15 of 33 Old 11-01-2002, 01:30 AM
Advanced Member

I loved the Harry Potter books and the movie I"ve seen... but I've heard there are groups that have banned them (religious groups, maybe?) and I think that's ridiculous- about as ridiculous as banning Huck Finn. I also have a friend who 'will not allow it in her home' and 'will not allow her children to read it'. Thta's her choice- her loss.
#16 of 33 Old 11-01-2002, 10:32 AM
Special Member

Someone told me once that Harry Potter is the "devil." If that is true, then the "devil" made my son read!

If it were not for Harry Potter, he would not be reading at all. He hated books, hated reading, and it was a daily struggle. He picked up those books and since then has expanded. He has 3 bookshelves full of books now, and it all started with Harry Potter. I respect a parents right to censor what their children ready, but I wish they wouldn't tell my son that he is evil for wanting to read it.
#17 of 33 Old 11-01-2002, 10:47 AM
Special Member

What can I say that hasn't already been said?? I am a devoted Christian and I consult for a Harry Potter website (I know a lot about Harry and his adventures )
Now do I get burned at the stake?? I think not, just try it, come on, I dare ya!! J/K
Ignorance is a very, very ugly thing! It always has been and it always will be!!!
#18 of 33 Old 11-01-2002, 03:19 PM
Special Member

Ma-Kettle said:
Quote:
I guess I could be called a fundamentalist. A very openend minded one though I believe we as Christians need to know what is going on and should not keep our children hidden away and sheltered from everything.
Good for you, then. My comment was directed at people like Falwell and his kind, who only believe in tolerance if you believe exactly what they do. Perhaps I should have said "some fundamentalists" or "crazy fundamentalists" rather than "the fundamentalists." My apologies if I offended you.

I'm a Christian (Lutheran), and although we're a bit more liberal than say, the Missouri Synod Lutherans, we are open-minded enough to believe that Harry Potter isn't trying to get kids into witchcraft. *sigh* You have to admit, though, some people are trying to make things more difficult than they actually have to be.

Harry Potter is not the devil.

And BTW--I can NOT wait for the next movie AND the next book!!!
I'm worse than my kid is.
#19 of 33 Old 11-01-2002, 04:26 PM

No offence was taken Hisey I think there are a lot more important things we as Christians should be worried about beside Harry Potter lol.
#20 of 33 Old 11-01-2002, 05:00 PM
Special Member

Absolutely!

Like this whole Halloween thing... LOL
#21 of 33 Old 11-01-2002, 05:21 PM
Special Member

Here is something for you Harry Potter fans.
Free Movie Tickets - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Enter the AOL 8.0 Sneak Peek Sweeps of Harry Potter and the
Chamber of Secrets, and not only could you win a $1,000 holiday
shopping spree or one of 90 Harry Potter gift packs but you will
also have the opportunity to see a sneak preview of the movie on
November 14th if you live in one of the following 20 cities...

Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit,
Houston, Los Angeles, Kansas City, Minneapolis, New York,
Philadelphia, Phoenix, St. Louis, Salt Lake City, San Diego,
San Francisco, Seattle, or Washington DC. 150 people will be
selected to view a free screening of this movie in each city,
except Los Angeles, New York, and Washington DC where 175
people will be selected from all online entries.

If you don't live in one of the above cities, you can still enter the
sweeps for a chance to win the shopping spree and other prizes.
Considering that this contest only runs from October 21st to
November 4th, your odds are better than most sweeps...And if
you live in one of the above cities, your chances of receiving a
free screening of the movie are even better.

Visit http://www.moviefone.com/features/fe...d=1034877424,0
#22 of 33 Old 11-04-2002, 03:42 AM
Special Member

The Wiard of Oz was promoting Witchcraft through fiction also and no-one complains about that.

Witchcraft isn't about flying on broom sticks and the magic they do is totally fictional. They took the whole witch thing out of old Christian "old wives tales" anyway.
If it was promoting "real" witchcraft or Wicca, then it would show the REAL ways of it, not use the magic of pure fantasy.
#23 of 33 Old 11-06-2002, 06:01 PM

I don't know that much about the opposition to Harry Potter, but that some people feel it portrays evil as good (good witches) that is where I understand the problem to be- the blurred lines of good and evil. I don't read the books or watch the movies but then my kids don't watch TV at all. I don't think there is much of anything worth watching these days. We watch videos of our choosing, BTW I also won't let them watch The Wizard of Oz- too scary at this young age- 4yrs and 2yrs.
One other thing- its not the teaching of magic existing that Christians have a problem with- the Bible tells us that these things exist- but that they are wrong and worshiping of other Gods- that is where the problem lays. Also one mom used the examples from the Bible of changing water into wine etc. those are miracles that Jesus performed. Those are true stories of miracles he perfomed to show them his deity. They are not believed to be metaphors by Christians. So these opposing Christians do not have a problem with kids believing the Bible they teach it. Just to clear that up.
I don't really have a strong opijnion either way- I don't truly understand the issue all that well, but until I do I am not letting my kids follow the Harry Potter craze. I have no problem with those that do- I hear it is great reading.
#24 of 33 Old 11-06-2002, 08:44 PM
Addicted Member

I have read all of the books, own the movie and love it. I can not wait for the next movie and books to come. The books are all on my Christmas wish list this year! I agree with Tara, if you like it and want to see it/read it then do, if not then don't. I have no problem with people opposing the movie based on their religious beliefs so long as they understand that not everyone feels the same way. Not all witches are bad just as not all Christians are good. I have a 10 year old nephew who has struggled with reading and school and he has read every single one of them and it has really opened his eyes to reading. He has moved on to other books and loves to read. When my children are old enough I will let them read the books if they wish.
#25 of 33 Old 11-06-2002, 09:13 PM

You're right, Meagan. They are wonderful, imaginative, engaging stories which encourage children (and adults) to read. I read all four books several times and I never saw how they promoted any sort of religion at all. I'm really glad JK Rowlings books are a jumping off point into reading for kids. Few books have inspired children to read in recent years as hers have. I hope your nephew tries Robert Dahl's books which are also filled with magic and adventure.

“

Euripides

”- John Barrymore “

#26 of 33 Old 11-07-2002, 09:44 AM

I agree with what others have already said. Whether or not you chose to let your children read the books or watch the movie is just that, a choice. No one should attack another for their choice. This does not mean just Chirstians attacking those who chose to read the books or watch the movie but also goes the other way. Those who read the books should not attack the people who do not want to expose their children to these stories. That said, I am a devoted Christian who chooses to LOVE the Harry Potter stories and the movie is one of my favorites. My family is the only family in our small church that has read or watched the movie and we are critacized for it. My arguement to them all is that they need to open their minds and get more informed. Many of them have warped ideas of what is actually sent as the message of Harry Potter. These families also do not read fairy tales, watch MANY of the disney movies (they are screened carefully before they let their children watch them)or participate in Halloween. That is their choice and I have made mine. I watched all of disney movies, read all of the fairy tales when I was little and I still was able to grow into a strong Christian women with a wonderful relationship with Jesus Christ. I expect that my children will also be able to know the difference between pretend and "evil" through my interactions and dialouges. That is afterall my job as a parent isn't it??????
#27 of 33 Old 11-25-2002, 06:01 PM

I think it's silly! It's fiction and it's something else to debate on religion! Anyone knows that when you bring up religion,and try and argue points it's really a lose-lose situation. JMO.
#28 of 33 Old 12-01-2002, 03:55 AM

Can I just say I LOVE Harry Potter!!!!! My nephew and I have read every one and seen both movies. And when my son is old enough, I would read and watch them with him as well. These books are imaginative and very "safe" compared to other things that are out there.

I think people should stop "inventing" things to be outraged about. If you don't want to read the books or watch the movies......then don't but don't dictate to me what is appropriate or inappropriate for my child! This is the land of the free(whether we like it or not)......isn't it? Maybe some of us have forgotten!
#29 of 33 Old 12-01-2002, 10:24 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by India
I think it's silly! It's fiction and it's something else to debate on religion! Anyone knows that when you bring up religion,and try and argue points it's really a lose-lose situation. JMO.

I agree 100%
#30 of 33 Old 12-01-2002, 06:36 PM

I wish I could sell my book and make as much money as she has on Harry Potter. Good grief, she has made almost as much on 4 books as Stephen King did on what 60 or 100. It must be nice to be in her shoes even if some people do tend to say she's leading children to Satan. I could put up with that for a 20 million dollar book deal.

“

Euripides

”- John Barrymore “

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page