Five cleaning habits that waste your money - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-20-2010, 08:34 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eliminating the costs of routine overuse in cleaning could save you money.

Five cleaning habits that waste your money / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

If you go to the comments page, you'll see what I'm about to talk about. Showering once a week is not being frugal. It's being nasty. If I were stuck in a crowded elevator, I sure hope it's with those "wasteful" daily showering, deodorant wearing, hair washing, teeth brushing people instead of some of these "frugal" types.

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Yuck.

I've been trying to tell Haley that she uses way too much conditioner for the past year or so though ... probably 4 times as much as she needs. She'll claim she NEEDS so much because her hair is dry and damaged from dying ... I told her to use half as much as she does and leave it on her hair longer ... we're still going through a bottle a week. *sigh*

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#3 of 4 Old 03-20-2010, 10:12 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
Wow, I go through a bottle about every six weeks or so and I am "wasteful" compared to some of these folks. I don't know if she showers or not, but i wash my hair and face first, then condition my hair. Since I have already washed that part of my body, I keep my head out of the water and rinse when I am finished washing the rest of me.

“

Euripides

”- John Barrymore “

#4 of 4 Old 03-23-2010, 07:59 AM

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 0
I already use about half of the recommended amounts of laundry detergent and dishwasher soap. Been doing it for quite a few years now and it works just fine.

I don't really worry about how much shampoo and conditioner I use since I only wash my hair twice a week (its very dry to start with and washing more often makes it more so). I do use ALOT of conditioner, but not as much as it sounds like Haley uses. Elaine, my hair is so dry it frizzes. Tell her to do this twice a week: after washing twice (50 cent size squirts each time), then use a palm FULL of conditioner. Leave it on her hair while she washes her body, face and shaves, etc. This should give her anywhere from 2-5 minutes with the conditioner just sitting on her hair, which gives it a deep condition. When she is ready to rinse, rinse with warm water (rinse body, too), then give a quick rinse with COLD water on the hair. This really helps with shine, too. Been doing it for years and it works great. The problem with using too much conditioner is that it weighs your hair down (even after you have rinsed it) and makes it attract more dirt.

My dentist told me as a kid that you only need a pea sized dollop. I use a touch more than that so I can get my tongue clean too (which is extra important for me since the surgery so I don't get a yeast infection in my mouth). I use an old medicine cup for mouthwash and use 1tbsp. Works just fine for me, but I also do it at least twice a day (again because of the surgery). I'm still using way less than I used to.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page