User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-09-2010, 08:01 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wan't quite sure where yto put this one.....

Ok, when I was about 16 I was diagnosed wit bi polar disorder.  In years since, I trid many hings, meds and such, nothing everreally helped and actually did better off meds.   well, a few months ago I started to really struggle with everything - just constantly overwhelmed and feeling depressed. I decided since it had been awhile, I felt maybe I needed to start seeing someone again.  So I went for an eval, and I was sop surprised at the end. Instead of saying ok yeah, here's a script for a anto depressant - he said i don't think you have bi polar. Your symptoms are much more consistant with Adult ADHD.  I thought hmm, maybe. Both of my boys have ADHD.  But still a little skeptical - everyone else was wrong for all the years before?  So I went to two other independant drs  as well - and they both said the same thing!  So I've been researchingon it  - and the more i read the more i'm like  " wow thats totally me!"  I never got that feeling when I'd read stuff about bi polar. I'd see similarities, but not many and think " gee even amid other people with same prob, i'm still a freaking oddball"  It was really depressing.   I remember thinking i couldn't ever beat it...

Now it's like a light came on.  I've been reading up on tips for managing it - time management, orgnization - it's helping. still rough tho. great thing is some of the tips i've found for me have also worked great with my boys. It's a journy i guess... 

Well, i dunno, guess just needed to tak about it. also totally open to any tips and suggestions anyone might have :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-09-2010, 09:36 AM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12

I'm glad you found the answers you needed.  Whenever you are especially frazzled, try playing white noise.  You may find it comforting.  I just read an article which said, although, white noise is distracting to a lot of people, people with ADD use it to focus.  I don't know if this would help you or not.  i just read it recently.

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

#3 of 6 Old 10-10-2010, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2

I come from a long line of adults with ADD and while I don't think I suffer from it (maybe I'm in denial), I do have issues with memory and retaining information.  I also can get very overwhelmed and scatterbrained if I have too many tasks at hand.  I keep a lot of lists.  In fact I'm almost obsessive with writing things down ... It seems that If I go through the act of writing out information and then seeing it in my own hand writing, I'm much more likely to remember at least the key points.  It doesn't always work but I think it helps.

Also caffeine is my closest friend.  It's a natural stimulant and helps me focus. 

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06

#4 of 6 Old 10-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 15

ok... Not diagnosed with that, although at one point I took a profile online which said I had symptoms of it.  The biggest thing I had problems with was staying on task.  You know you are cleaning off the kitchen table, and that book goes in the other room, so you take it there and see something else which needs to be done and move there till the next thing that goes somewhere else.  I never really managed to complete any cleaning tasks because I wouldn't stick with one long enough.  A tip I read online for adult add suggested a timer.  I set a timer for 15 minutes.  When I start cleaning an area I set the time and don't leave the area I'm working on till the timer goes off.  If things belong somewhere else I make a pile of them to deal with AFTER the timer goes off.  

I don't really need to do it anymore unless I'm feeling really scattered, but it worked very well for me and helped me overcome that difficulty.  I also use the timer for my daughters when they are feeling overwhelmed.

#5 of 6 Old 10-12-2010, 11:36 AM

Likes Earned: 22

Since both my kids are ADD/ADHD, I am very familiar with this.  Some people can deal with it with no medication, others can't.  Have you tried some of the newer meds?  Behavior modification tips abound on the net and they areally helpful, especially is you use them on the kids while they are young.  Then they get in the habit of doing things a certain way.  While I don't have ADD/ADHD, even I found that some of them helped me get thru my day with less stress.  Glad to hear you are on the right track!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#6 of 6 Old 10-12-2010, 12:15 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0

Thanks for some good ideas. I tried the timer thing yesterday - and got done so much more than i normally do.  I actually kinda use the white noise idea already, tho i sually listen to music.  Most white noise sounds actuallu really bothers me - can make me very agitated.  I live by music tho.  I listen to everything from Mozart to Brad Paisly top Pink Floyd to Jay Z  and everything inbetween. Friends tease me about the "soundtrack of my life" cuz I always have music.  Find it very hard to focus without it.  I have been reading up on and trying bhavior mod tips, and my doc are going to discuss the medication choices available these days  and see what will work best, esp wwith my other meds...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page