Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-09-2009, 09:25 AM - Thead Starter
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone been watching this show on A&E? "Wow!" is really all I can think to say with some of these episodes ...
Monday's episode was about an older lady who's house was so filled with trash that she had to tie herself onto a medical toilet at night ... it didn't work though and she slid out and trapped herself in the trash ... paramedics had to go in and rescue her.

Although nothing as severe as what you see on this show, it has made me realize that I hold onto a lot of unnecessary things ... clothes is my biggest problem and not just my clothes ... my kids have massive amounts of clothes that will never get worn because there are just too many. I think part of it is working at Goodwill ... every time I know there are cute clothes in my kids' sizes, I think I need them.

What do you hoard?

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 15
I love this show... and sadly it makes me think of the way my Dad's house was the last time I was inside it. I hope that their new house in Texas is not like it.... but my Dad is bad to do this.

I'm not sure what I hoard... maybe craft supplies?? I have been working hard on getting rid of things we don't use or need. I have a huge stack of stuff in my garage waiting for a spring yard sale though.
#3 of 7 Old 12-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 29
Likes Given: 0
I myself am a purger, I get rid of just about everything But, like you Elaine, my kids have a TON of clothes from me thrifting so much. I just can't leave a girl's $50 pr of jeans if I see them in their size.
When I got pregnant I stored my 'skinny' clothes and I had one entire HUGE bucket of JUST JEANS! I guess I hoard nice jeans then I can't seem to have enough of Gap, Express or Seven for All Mankind jeans either-LOL I can think of worse things to hoard I guess
We don't have cable so I haven't seen that show but I have seen episodes on Oprah about the disease before and it is so sad. I can't imagine living that way.

#4 of 7 Old 12-09-2009, 12:55 PM - Thead Starter
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
I hoard jeans as well Krista ... having once been over-weight, I went jeans crazy when I started being able to fit into ones I considered "cute". I bought every pair I found (while out thrifting). I've toned it down some and now only have probably a dozen pairs.

There was an episode about an older couple who'd been reported to animal control because of their cats. They had to clean up decades worth of stuff to be able to keep some of their cats ... the place was a mess! By the end of the show, 73 cats had been removed from the home ... 40-some of which were dead. There was so much trash in their house that entire litters would be born and die without anyone ever knowing. I'm not an animal lover at all and it was quite sad.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#5 of 7 Old 12-09-2009, 02:29 PM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
Fabric is my vice. And my kids have way too many toys. Otherwise, I'm not really a hoarder. I see myself as being more of a stocker. If I had the space, I would probably have a year's supply of toilet paper. It's all those years of living on the farm. You just never know when brokeness or weather is going to break out.
#6 of 7 Old 12-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
hmmmmm i am going to have to check that show out. when I did home care I met quite a few (mostly elderly) people who were huge packrats/hoarders. Jerry is a horder. We still have some things in boxes that have not seen the light of day in 10 years but he wwon't get rid of them
#7 of 7 Old 12-12-2009, 12:30 AM

Likes Earned: 22
I stockpile food and HBA items (I haven't paid more then $0.25 for shampoo or conditioner in years and I haven't bought toothpaste or hand soap in about 3 years!) I did finally use up most of the food supplies this past year (altho I tend to rotate them anyway).

My kids have WAY too many possesstions in general - clothes, toys, electronics. Probably why I have such good garage sales! And I DO hoard craft supplies. I end up letting Ally and Drew use most of them for school projects. The good thing is I buy most of them at thrift or dollar stores.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page