Children at weddings? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-19-2006, 12:30 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I noticed that a couple of wedidngs and receptions I have been to didn't have any kids. I want everyone to bring their kids to my wedding and reception. Do you think that's a bad idea? Is there a downside I'm not thinking of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 09-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now that I am married WITH kids ... I would think you leave it up to your guests - I would say children are welcome - that way they do not feel shunned and that they can not bring their kids ... but then also, if they want to enjoy a night out without them, they don't feel bad as well!

I can say- I had a no-kids wedding. Alot of people told me they were hurt by that at the time (I was 23, and I am not blaming my age for it) however - if I invited 1 set of kids, then I had to invite all... and we were on a budget to begin with!! I would LOVE to go to weddings now with my kids - but then again, I think our next wedding is October - and I am looking forward to a nice date night with Scott alone too!
#3 of 15 Old 09-19-2006, 01:29 PM
Special Member

A girl I used to work with had a wedding and asked everyone not to bring their kids. I know that a lot of women were offended and did not go. I would leave it up to the guests as well unless you're doing it for financial reasons like Dina said. I've never been to a wedding where children caused any disruption.

#4 of 15 Old 09-19-2006, 02:09 PM
Special Member

Any wedding i have been to, there have been no kids, unless they are in the wedding party. I wouldnt bring my kids to a wedding either. The ceremony yes, not the reception.

But with your own wedding Tara, definitley have the kids and have guests bring their kids. Be sure to put it in your invitation.
I think it is up to each bride and groom of what they would like.
#5 of 15 Old 09-19-2006, 02:37 PM

I think it's a personal choice and depends on the kind of wedding you have and what time of day or evening you have the wedding. DH and I were married in Vegas, so this was not an issue. I say, do what you want, if you want all the kids there, the more the merrier, then that's what I woudl do.
An evening wedding, which is typically more formal and held about 7:00 would probably not be ideal for little kids as it is formal, and the reception time would probably interfere with bedtime, which leads to the possibility of cranky kids. But ultimately, it's up to you. Personally, I would not be offended if I was invited to a "no kids" wedding. Like Dina said, it would make for a good date night.

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#6 of 15 Old 09-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Addicted Member

We are invited to two weddings next year and one invites our kids and the other doesn't and they are both family. I am really torn and upset that kids are not invited. I mean I would like a night alone with DH for that sort of thing but when it is family I think you should be supported totally by your family kids included.

Like for example Tara, if you invited me to your wedding and it said Ramskugler family I would leave the kids behind because you are a friend, but if you were family then I would bring them.
#7 of 15 Old 09-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
I had an evening wedding and I had kids at mine. I don't know if I'd be hurt if I had to get a sitter to attend a wedding, but I probably wouldn't go. (or I would skip the reception)
#8 of 15 Old 09-19-2006, 03:16 PM
Addicted Member

We had kids at ours, and there was no problem. We also had them at the reception. No problems at all.
#9 of 15 Old 09-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

We had no kids (except for dh's niece who was well behaved and would have been heartbroken) at the ceremony, but provided a nursery. I didn't want to have a kid crying or running down the aisle to disturb the ceremony. Kids were invited to the reception, but our reception was at the church and it was cake, punch, and a few finger foods with people standing around talking. No meal, music, dancing, etc.

However, if I were you I would definitely have kids at the wedding. And if I had another wedding ceremony I would have kids too.
#10 of 15 Old 09-19-2006, 07:16 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What an excellent idea. We have a nursery in the church. I'm going to have someone there just incase a child gets out of control. My kids are going to be in the wedding and at the reception to. I was thinking of having kid activities at the reception(making someone else in control of that ofcourse) to keep them busy. The place I'm having the reception has 2 floors and the kids could have their own area(still thinking on that one).
#11 of 15 Old 09-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Addicted Member

Our families always invite the kids. They get out there and dance with the rest of us. If they didn't invite the kids, I would still go, but George wouldn't be able to. (All my family not his). I wouldn't be hurt that the kids weren;t invited, but the ones I've been to where kids weren't invited, there weren't kids at the ceremony either. I like weddings with kids, they have a great time and are so unpredictable. But I like weddings without kids too. I think it's up to you, but I would invite the kids as well.
#12 of 15 Old 09-19-2006, 10:29 PM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
I've never been to one of these kid free weddings. I've only seen a child be a problem at one wedding and that was because his parents weren't watching him and he munched lifesavers in the microphone of the tape recorder, so they had no recording of their wedding to share with the groom's family that couldn't make it up from Mexico.

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

#13 of 15 Old 09-19-2006, 10:33 PM
Special Member

I think it"s a personal decision that every bride and groom need to make for themselves.

We have friends and family that their kids are wonderful, then I have a set of friends who"s kids behave very badly in public so for some things I purposefully decided to say no kids at all so that I didn"t have to deal with theirs (like for the baby shower).
#14 of 15 Old 09-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Addicted Member

I think it is whatever you want.
#15 of 15 Old 03-21-2013, 11:19 AM

Likes Earned: 10

I think that is pretty good idea because kids make atmosphere at the wedding. They are so happy to see the bride and the groom. The only minus of this is that they are extra guests but if you have the financial possibility this is not a problem :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page