What are ways to save money on your wedding? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-21-2006, 03:00 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I eloped

I am a proud wife to a hard working man Russ
and I have two wonderful kids Hannah and Will!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-21-2006, 04:06 PM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Me too! And I did save a lot of money on cakes, photographers, dresses, etc. In fact, I saved 100% on all of that.

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

#3 of 7 Old 09-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Addicted Member

I was going ot say elope! We spent $10,000 on our wedding, it included everything... gotta love packages. We got $10,000 in gifts/money. Had we not spent the original $10,000 and just eloped, we would have still got $10,000 in gifts and money and had 2x the nestegg to start with.

#4 of 7 Old 09-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Special Member

We saved money by having someone we KNEW take the video (BAD IDEA!!!! DO NOT SKIMP ON A WEDDING VIDEO!!)

I also saved money by having 1 photographer (we had the option of having 2, one for prepping you etc) ---> ANOTHER BAD IDEA!!!

Pictures and video are most important... so I say dont take my advice and dont skimp there!!

We had a dj instead of a band - this was good.

We didnt have top of the line dinner menu or hor dourves...

Since it was November, I had silk flowers and they didnt have to get any special ones sent in...

We didnt need a limo ...

I got my dress at a REAL BARGAIN!!! Scott got his tux free as long as his groomsmen all rented them at the same place.

We didnt do elaborate centerpieces...

and Our party favor was a scroll with our names on it (we made ourselves) with the words to our 1st dance (the song is in Italian) so we converted them in English
#5 of 7 Old 09-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Let's see...
  • I got my dress at the Gunne Sax outlet in San Francisco
  • My sister's dress was purchased on sale at Macy's (the best part about having only one bridemaid - no matching needed)
  • DH and BIL wore suits they had in the closet
  • We got married at a chapel, on a weekday evening, during "off" season - only $175 for the chapel, and that included $150 of rented silk flowers/decorations
  • A family friend did the ceremony - for payment, we made a donation in his mother's name to the National Kidney Foundation
  • No limo - we cleaned DH's truck
  • Had the reception at our house. For food, we got trays of meats, cheeses, veggies, fruits, and breads/crackers. This worked out well, since it was just too late for a real dinner by the time we all got there (it was 8pm).
  • We got the flowers (my bouquet, MOH bouquet, boutineers (sp) for DH, BIL, and my dad and FIL, wrist corsages for Mom, Step-mom, and MIL), from the grocery store florist. We got 6 loose carnations instead of the flower girl bouquet (since we had no flower girl), and used those for table decorations at the reception (three thin vases I had, with two carnations each)
  • Two tiered wedding cake from same grocery store.
  • Our crystal champagne flutes (for DH and I only) from a garage sale - 75 cents each (and they are real crystal )
  • We had a friend take pictures with her pro camera, and BIL take pictures with our camera, and at least two people doing video. My dad took the videos and put them together into one video, which came out really well.
#6 of 7 Old 09-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Addicted Member

WE had a friend do our video ( DO NOT DO THIS there was more of his family in it than us)

Mom catered it all and it was beautiful!!
Family helped with the making of things such as the flower petal basket, the ring barers pillow, the topiaries. We bought the candles at a candle factory.
My aunt made my cake, it was huge and beautiful and free.
Silk flowers except for the tossing bouquet.
We made the boutineers. and corsages
A friend did the DJing ( exboy friend actually lol) for $150
We spent the most money on our photographer. And the food
The Russian Concert Pianist was a friend so she did it for free
the singer (also the exboyfriend) was in the cost of the DJing.
#7 of 7 Old 09-21-2006, 08:19 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Well, I had a big expensive wedding, so I didn't save on anything, but I could've saved a lot if I had gotten my dress on EBay. They have some beautiful gowns on their for dirt cheap (even some Vera Wang).

But y'all are right, don't go cheap on photographers and video.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page