Wedding?!?!?!?! - Page 2 - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 02-21-2001, 11:20 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't you just love a wedding?
DH and I got married for around $1000.00, but we had alot of people help. My aunt made the cake, my uncle is a preacher, so forth and so on.

The one thing that REALLY helped me plan was I went out and bought a little (not the big ones and not the real little one, so maybe a middle size) three ring note book and filled it with blank pages. I took it EVERYWHERE, because everybody has a suggestion....write them all down. In that notebook (whick I still have three years later) I start by making a simple budget. EX. Gown $500.00 (I got mine for $450.00, which I'm not ashame to say I got it from a consement shop (second hand) It's beautiful.) Food-$ ----....you get the picture. Then I made a list of what I needed to do. Starting for me with finding a dress, finding a place.....

I had addresses in it, numbers....flower shops....rental places....compared prices.....kept recipts. It really came in handy. I think that should be the first thing...plus, you can keep it to remind yourself about the months you spent preparing.

Two notes~ I found the origianl owner of that dress....she paid $1500.00 on sale for it. AND we planned our whole wedding in four months.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!!

Blessings,
Wolfmyjic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 34 Old 02-22-2001, 01:50 PM

Likes Earned: 22
Just had another thought or two.

CAKE: My husband (who used to be a pastry chef) and my sister made and decorated both of our cakes. The cost, including the decorations and top, was less than $30.

BOUQUET: Make a throw away bouquet. It doesn't have to be fancy. Mine was nothing like my bouquet, but had all of the wedding colors in it (navy blue and butter yellow with cream).

FLOWER GIRL: We took a small basket that I picked up at Garden Ridge (craft place) that is flat on one side so you can hang it on a wall. We spray painted it white and attached blue and yellow ribbons to it. Because it was flat, it hung easily when my neice was standing. We filled it with leftover flowers and greenery from all of the bouquets, so it matched everything. (She didn't actually take anything out of it.) Now, I have it hanging on my wall as a decoration and a reminder of our wedding day!

INVITATIONS: After pricing them, I knew we couldn't afford to have them printed. So I printed all of our invitations myself. Check out office supply stores and any stationeries in your area. I found beautiful wedding stationary marked 75% off. I was able to buy enough to send out 100 invitations, with matching envelopes, for less than $25 (not including postage). You could even find blank business cards in your wedding colors that you could print and insert as R.S.V.P. cards. Your computer should have several different fonts you could use. I used Script.

REHEARSAL DINNER: We had a B-B-Q, but since you are doing that for the wedding maybe you could have a picnic or a brunch. Either of those would be inexpensive and your friends and family could help you out with the food. And you wouldn't really need to decorate much or at all. Make it casual. I did and everyone enjoyed it.

PHOTOS: We couldn't afford a photographer, so we had my father take pictures. He has a really good 35mm with all the lens and stuff. Most of my friends and I had either been to weddings or stood in them ourselves, so we all knew what the traditional poses were. I also asked everyone to bring their cameras to take pictures during the reception and we had a few disposable cameras available for people to just pick up and snap pictures. Some of the best pictures I have are from my friends. One of my wedding gifts from a friend was that I could pick any three pictures I wanted and she took them, had them enlarged to whatever size I wanted and had them framed for me. All 3 cost her less than $20 and I treasure them. (2 5X7 and 1 8X10)

The notebook idea is great. I bought I regular college notebook with folders already in it so I would have some place to put all the slips of paper I seemed to collect. It cost less than $2 and after the wedding I was able to take everything and make put a scrapbook together. (Or I will if I ever find the time!)

Just a few more suggestions for your growing list of ideas! Congratulations again!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#33 of 34 Old 02-22-2001, 04:01 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Our wedding was like that too. We had 4 months to plan or I guess I should say I had 4 months to plan because DH is in the Navy and was clear across the country. I picked out everything and I think I did a great job. I even picked out their tuxes and even got the ones he wanted. I had to talk to all the groomesmen and they helped me with guy things.
I am not ashamed at all to say my dress came off the sales rack at the bridal shop. $250.00. She had it so long that she just wanted rid of it. I made her change everything on it. Took off sleeves, and bows. We did so many things that the dress looked so different. She said if she would have known it could look like that she would have made the price higher.
My most expensive things were the silk flowers I had made at the flower shop. They were almost $300.00. But we did spend that much. My mom bought the veil which was 170.00 almost as expensive as the dress.

Dawn and I have our wedding pics on here somewhere feel free to add to that thread or start your own wedding photos thread in the beautiful babies section. I am sure we would love to see them

Wendy

Oh yeah Robyn...do you remember how we were discussing your bridesmaid dresses....the prom dresses are out now.
I do not know if you would want to get them that early but just thought I would let you know

#34 of 34 Old 02-23-2001, 12:06 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 10
wendy.. thanks.. i saw a few while i was out with my mom today.. i think i'll go have a looksie this weekend!!!

thanks fo the reminder though!!

~Robyn~
~Mommy to~
Austin & Dylan

Remember, You don't stop laughing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop laughing..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page