Do you have a Traditional or Non-Traditional Engagement/Wedding Ring(s)? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
View Poll Results: Do you have a Traditional or Non-Traditional Engagement/Wedding Ring(s)?
Traditional Engagement Ring 0 0%
Non-Traditional Engagement Ring 0 0%
Traditional Engagement and Wedding Rings 11 68.75%
Non-Traditional Engagement and Wedding Rings 2 12.50%
Traditional and Non-Traditional 3 18.75%
We don't have rings 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-09-2001, 05:41 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have a Traditional Diamond Engagament ring? And/or a Traditional Wedding ring?

Both of mine or Non-Traditional. (Anything else wouldn't be me) My engagement ring is a Sapphire with six small diamonds around the stone..then three small diamond inlayed of each side of the band...which is Gold.
My wedding ring is just a simple band of silver customed to fit the engagement ring.

And Peter's ring is Gold with silver designs. So they somewhat match.

*I love Sapphires...and I picked out my ring...but people always ask me why Peter bought me a black Onox!*

What about your ring(s)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 10-09-2001, 06:23 PM

My wedding band is gold ( kinda hard to explain ) it almost looks like a regular solid gold band but the middle is carved in so it appears to look like two thin bans.
My dimond is a marque band with 7 large dimonds. I love it.

Michelle
#3 of 20 Old 10-09-2001, 07:16 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
My wedding band is a regular gold band. My engagement ring is a 1/2 carat marquise.

We are getting a wrap for my marquise sometime. But first I still have to get my rings fixed from when we had to cut them off

Den has a plain gold band. Which works best for him in his line of work. In fact he does not wear it to work...to afraid it will get caught on something!

#4 of 20 Old 10-09-2001, 10:03 PM

I so far just have the engagement ring and it is the millenium diamond.1 karat diamon in the center and 1/2 karat diamonds on each side total weight 2 karats.It took forever to get b/c we had to have it fully paid for b4 it could leave the store.I did not pick mine out though.
#5 of 20 Old 10-09-2001, 10:30 PM

We've got plain gold bands and I've got a small princess cut diamond ring. Its very pretty, but I really wanted an emerald (which is my birthstone). DH wanted the traditional! Oh, well!
#6 of 20 Old 10-09-2001, 11:16 PM
Special Member

My engagment ring is Jason's grandmothers' (it became his when she died, his brother's wife got the wedding ring), it is gold with a silver 3 diamond setting, one medium in the middle and two smaller diamonds on the side. My wedding ring is a flat gold band with 8 small diamonds with a small vine pattern on the sides and front and back. It matches the engagment ring in the lining up of the diamonds and the old-fashioned look. Jason's wedding ring is gold and platinium, a two-toned look with a weave twist through it.
#7 of 20 Old 10-09-2001, 11:29 PM

Likes Earned: 10
Traditional..

I wanted something small.. because we could always have gotten something bigger or better in the futire.. but Matt picked out the most gorgeous ring.. it's 3/4 carat princess cut.. with 5 round diamonds in a channel on each side.. that is a 1/4 carat..

my wedding band is a 1/2 carat round diamond band.. theres 12 diamonds in it I think.. (lemme count) Yup! LOL

Matts is kind of untraditional for a guy.. I bought hima diamond band as well.. his is EXACTLY like mine only his is 10 diamonds and not 12.. i got his in March and he didn't see it till the wedding day.. and then we saw that we'd gotten the same bands.. awww.. how cute.. LOL

~Robyn~
~Mommy to~
Austin & Dylan

Remember, You don't stop laughing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop laughing..
#8 of 20 Old 10-09-2001, 11:43 PM
Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had to sadly give up my engagement ring afer Michael was born. Many of you have read my posts about the hard times Mike and I had, up until Devon was born. I gave up my ring to feed my child. I am embarrased to say that but it's the truth. I couldn't very well walk around with 7 diamonds on my finger, and not feed my son. So I sold it(with Mikes blessing).

Mike bought me a pearl ring about a year ago to replace that one, but the pearl fell off b/c it was not set right in the ring. I was so mad b/c Mike spent a lot of money on it, and I just can't seem to keep my ring. He says he is going to buy me a better one next time. I always wanted a pearl b/c I don't like diamonds, so I am really mad that the pearl fell out.

My wedding band is traditional, just a simple gold ring, no designs on it or anything.
#9 of 20 Old 10-10-2001, 12:55 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Tara,
I admire you for doing that! I would have done the same thing if I had too! Shows what a wonderful mother you truly are!

That stinks that your pearl fell out!
#10 of 20 Old 10-10-2001, 01:22 PM
Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Wendy!!
#11 of 20 Old 10-10-2001, 01:48 PM
Jen
Special Member

Likes Given: 2
We both have traditional gold bands (white gold).
My engagement ring is BEAUTIFUL!!! It is white gold with a 1 ct marquis cut diamond in the middle with 2 round and 1 emerald cut channel sets on each side. I get sooooo many compliments on it by everyone. The funny thing is it is CZ. NO ONE CAN TELL! I told dh that as long as it was set in real gold then I would prefer to have the cz. We got married after Hailey was born so I did not want to spend the money on a ring when we could spoil our girls.
He keeps telling me that he is going to get me a real one but I am happy with what I have.

Tara--that was a wonderful thing to do!!!! I would not be embarrased at all. If I were in your position I would only be embarrassed if I would NOT have done that! Children always come first.
#12 of 20 Old 10-10-2001, 02:04 PM
Special Member

Tara,
I think what you did was wonderful!! It truly shows what a great mother you are that you would make such a sacrifice for your child. Sadly, not all mothers would have done what you did, and that makes you truly special. I applaud you!!

I have a matching set of white gold rings. The diamond on the engagement ring isn't very big (don't know the carat) but we picked it out together and it was what we could afford at the time. I love it because of the meaning behind it and never plan to "upgrade" as I know a lot of people do. Billy has a simple sterling silver band.
#13 of 20 Old 10-10-2001, 03:55 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Given: 1
Our rings are pretty traditional. Here's the thing. I didn't have an engagement ring. I had a promise ring. It has a tiny diamond in the middle with two hearts on the side. Steve couldn't afford an engagement ring. I was fine with the promise ring. I was too happy to care
Then when we went to get our wedding rings, I got him a plain gold wedding band (what he wanted) and he got me a gold wedding band set. The diamond is pretty small, but has material around it that makes it look bigger (does that make sense?) The wedding band has the same size diamond, but it's not elevated. It's kind of hard to explain. Let's just put it this way - I won't have to worry much about chipping the diamonds.
Tara - about the pearl ring - Steve bought me one earlier this year and my pearl fell off too I'm going to try to take it to a jewelry repair shop to have it set on the ring better. Hope it's not expensive to have this done!!
#14 of 20 Old 10-10-2001, 05:16 PM
Addicted Member

I have a plain band, and a round solitaire, but I also have a wrap that has diamonds and rubies in it.
#15 of 20 Old 10-11-2001, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

I have a round diamond solitaire engagement ring. Not very big (1/3 carat) but DH bought it in college! My wedding ring is a wrap with 3 little diamonds on each side. His ring is a gold band, but is very heavy, comfort fit, and has double mill grain on each side.
#16 of 20 Old 10-12-2001, 10:41 AM
Addicted Member

Ewww---long story.

Tara--I think your story is really neat!

DH and I knew each other for a LONG time. While we were broke up the last time, he almost married someone else. Her engagement ring was a 1/4 carat round solitaire. When we got engaged, he was going to go and trade it in on a new one for me. Until the jewelry store told him that to trade up, he had to spend twice what the first one was worth, and we didn't have that kind of money. And he didn't want me to wear "her" ring, even though I thought it was nice. SOOOO.... I had a ring that my grandmother gave me. It was a cubic zirconia, and it looked like between a 3/4 or 1 carat diamond. The gold was real, which is all I cared about because I didn't want my fingers to turn green. So, I wore that, and nobody ever knew the difference. I liked it, but it really was a little bit big and kept getting hung in EVERYTHING. Last Christmas, Bob's company's stock went up (this is when he had his old job), and he sold some and decided to buy me a "real" ring. I was happy with what I had, but he really wanted me to have one from him. So.... he drug me down to the mall to "go Christmas shopping". I just didn't realize he had ulterior motives until he all of a sudden decided that he wanted to go into the jewelry store. Hmmm... I really didn't want to pick out my own, but I ended up having to anyway. I was looking at a 1/3 carat, but he said that we would have to get something more expensive to be able to trade up. SO... I ended up with the one I have now, which I really like. It is a round 1/2 carat diamond.

I saw a wrap that was diamonds and sapphires when I was in TX and I fell in love with it. But none of the jewelry stores here had anything like it. So, he bought me a plain thin gold band, because I just wanted a plain band since I couldn't find the other one.

So, I have traditional for both now.

Bob's ring is a lot fancier than mine. I was going to buy his before I left Texas, but I decided to wait and let him pick it out. Which is good, because he picked something TOTALLY different from what I would have. It is gold and has a brushed finish on it. The front has some cutwork in it, and it has five tiny diamonds that make a diagonal line across the front. It is nice, but I always figured he'd be a plain gold band kind of guy.
#17 of 20 Old 10-12-2001, 01:09 PM

I am not sure what is traditional & what is not? MIne is 14k gold & I have a 1.6 ct princess cut solitare with a 1/2 ct of bagetTE
#18 of 20 Old 10-12-2001, 01:13 PM

Well jake is helping me post - a 1/2 ct on each side my wedding band is a plain gol band which I wear most of the time because for me my ring is to flashy. It is beautiful but I did not pick it out.

Tara let me just tell you I would do the same! & I think this ring could buy some serious food! I have come close this past year, I does seem kind of silly to have a ring like that when you are out of a job & trying to figure out how groceries & the house payment are going to paid for!!!
#19 of 20 Old 10-15-2001, 11:05 PM

I am realy not sure I think mabe non because it kinda looks different I have 11/2 stone on a thick gold band with a design on the edge
#20 of 20 Old 07-29-2002, 12:27 AM

My engagement ring is non-traditional because it was originally given to my dh's ex-fiancee. She threw it back at him the night he had her baker acted for pulling a gun on him and threatening to commit suicide (long story). He had designed the ring himself and it really is pretty- it's a 1/2 carat round diamond tension mounted between 14 carat crossed bands. I kept it because I felt it was a waste of money spending the money on a new ring when we could use the same money for the honeymoon. I don't feel any bad-karma about the ring because she obviously was NOT the right girl and she only wore it for a couple of months anyway. My wedding ring is an eternity band of 18 carat gold with 13 oval shaped 1/2 carat diamonds around it. I am practical however, and have 2 chilluns with one on the way, so I insisted on cz. The ring LOOKS like a 3,000 dollar ring.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page