Breast Implants or Reduction and nursing?? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 06-19-2002, 11:52 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone here had breast inplants or breast reduction and breastfed afterwards?

Many women who have had some type of breast alteration do not realize that they can more than likely still breastfeed! If the majority of the milk ducts and major nerves have not been cut, there may not be any problems. In some rare cases, the milk ducts that have been cut, have repaired themselves and grown back together. There is not way of knowing ahead of time. But dont' give up before you try. Give it a shot and watch babies growth and development closely to catch any problems early on.

Also ..just a side note. There is no evidence that silicone used in breast implants can leak into a mother's milk. Just make sure you speak to your doctor with any concerns you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 06-20-2002, 01:28 AM
Addicted Member

I had a breast reductiona and nursed Duncan for 4 weeks, Logan for 5 and Ian for 9. It seems that with every new baby, I have more and more milk. When we decide to TTC #4 (in about oh...2 or 3 yrs) I will Nurse again.
#3 of 26 Old 06-20-2002, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

A good friend of mine has reduction surgery after her first child. She was told that there were 2 ways to perform the surgery. First, the nipple was removed and after removing the desired tissue, reattached. Or, second, the nipple and some surrounding tissue was removed then reattached after the reduction. The Dr. said that with the first she would most likely not be able to nurse, but with the second way she probably could. However, there was some reason why he preferred the first method. She decided to go with the first method because although she didn't have any problems nursing, she really didn't like it. She said it made her feel weird, almost sick

#4 of 26 Old 06-20-2002, 11:20 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

You are welcome Liz .. I thought it was an interesting topic.

Shona .. I did not know you had reduction surgery and still nursed!! YOU ARE SUPERWOMAN!!!!!

I have not known anyone personally that has had brest augmentation and still nursed. I imagine if the surgery was done correctly, that nursing would not be difficult at all!?!?
#5 of 26 Old 06-20-2002, 11:36 AM

Likes Earned: 22
I didn't think you could BF after augmentation. Never really thought about the reduction side of it. Do either of the surgeries reduce your sensitivity?

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#6 of 26 Old 06-20-2002, 01:44 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 29
I have never had either....

Spaggie, it all depends on if the dr has to cut nerves or not if you would lose feeling in your breasts. Losing feeling doesn't neccessarily mean that you can't still breastfeed though.
#7 of 26 Old 06-20-2002, 04:19 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Loosing feeling would certainly help out when the little booger learns how to bite! Sorry .. I just thought that was too funny not to post!
#8 of 26 Old 06-21-2002, 01:58 AM
Addicted Member

thank you Roxanna!

Yes you lose some feeling when you have a reduction, but it may or may not come back. My right breast has about 90% of the feeling back in it and the left one has about40% back. I had mine done 9 yrs ago too and i still am getting a tiny bit of feeling returning all the time.

With a reduction, no matter how they do it, they sever milk ducts. maybe not all of them, but at least some of them. I was told I probably wouldn't be able to nurse. And at 19 yrs of age, back then, and the fact that then, they weren't stressing BFing anywhere near as much as they do now, I didn't care. I went from a 38E to a 38C and would do it all over again. But I would wait til after kids this time. I don't have nearly enough milk to nurse solely.
And if after losing my weight, my breasts don't go back down, Iw ill have the surgery again.
#9 of 26 Old 06-21-2002, 01:49 PM
Addicted Member

Shona,
At the time i am sure that the benefits of having the surgery outweighed the disadvantages of not being able to breastfeed solely after having your breasts reduced that much. I am sure that was a weight off of your shoulders-literally! Good for you for trying so hard with each of the boys though. A lot of people wouldn't have tried as hard as you have.
#10 of 26 Old 06-21-2002, 01:51 PM
Special Member

I think you can still breast feed normally after a reduction or implants. I remember when Pam Anderson was pregnant I seen her on a show and she was saying that her Dr.s told her that she should have no problems nursing.
#11 of 26 Old 06-22-2002, 11:32 PM
Special Member

Wow that would probably be scary for Pam Andersons kids looking up at those hardened baketballs and nursing. YIKES!!
OH well, at least they got the benefits of nursing
#12 of 26 Old 06-23-2002, 12:04 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

@ Alison!!!
#13 of 26 Old 06-23-2002, 12:14 AM
Addicted Member

Wow shona what a wonderful mom you are to try so hard to breastfeed your kids!
#14 of 26 Old 06-23-2002, 12:41 AM
Addicted Member

aww thanks you guys! Let me tell you...

I am sucha breastfeeding advocate now. I do not look down upon those who can't. I said can't. Or those who chose not to for reasons other than selfish ones. (I know that sounded bad, I'm sorry) But I HATE the thought of giving my kids formula, even though I have to. At least I gave it a shot. What I do hate, is those women out there who won't even give it one time. How do they know they won't like it or can't do it if they don't try? Now I am not talking about the women who really can't. I mean the ones who just dont want to even try it out. Like My bestfriend and her sister. I have never been so jealous of two people in my life. They had so much milk, and never even tried once. It broke my heart that I was trying for all I was worth and couldn't do it.
#15 of 26 Old 06-23-2002, 05:01 AM
Addicted Member

YOu are a wonderful Mom, Shona and you gave it all you had. You did a great job, just think, next time you will probably be able to nurse even longer!
#16 of 26 Old 06-24-2002, 12:35 AM
Addicted Member

thank you so much Krista. And I am sure next time will be even longer.
#17 of 26 Old 08-30-2002, 06:23 PM

So glad to have found this forum...Was shy about starting one on my own asking about breast implants/breast feeding...

I had my breasts augumented last year and they were done under the muscle with a half inch cut under the armpits and are saline implants..

I was told that I shouldn't have problems breastfeeding but since I'm expecting my first child and have never breastfed before...I get to find out...

Normally, I was suppose to have waited two years before I had any kids but "surprise" I had Jacob a year earlier....It's been a year now since I've had my breast augmentation (May 2001).

I talked to my doctor and basically since it was under the muscles implants, I shouldn't have any problems and my chances of breastfeeding are no differnt then a chance of a woman who didn't have breast surgery...so it's basically a case of either I will be able to or I won't be able to.....

Since it was under the muscle, if I did have any problems...it would be more likely due to the pressure of the saline implants and I was told to massage by breasts to relieve the pressure and encourage the milk flow.

I'm very very curious to find out if I can breastfeed since I plan on breastfeeding my child, but like everyone who knew about the surgery, I tell them the same thing as I tell here...My chances to breastfeed is as good as anyone elses and its basically a case of just trying.....

I don't plan on avoiding breastfeeding and hoping very much that I can....I dont' know if there are even any signs a woman can look out for to tell if she can breastfeed?????

In cases of when the implants are over the muscle, I've heard that it is harder to breastfeed in those cases since actual cutting into the nerves and milk ducts are required......so there is a chance of numbness and severed ducts....Under the muscle though...It avoids the nerves and the ducts.
#18 of 26 Old 08-30-2002, 11:53 PM
Addicted Member

Well I am sure you have read up on how to tell if your baby will be getting enough to eat. If your milk comes in (and you will know when it does) and your baby seems satisfied and is getting enough to eat then you will know that you are able to breastfeed. I hope you have all the luck in the world! It is a wonderful experience!
#19 of 26 Old 08-31-2002, 12:07 PM

Thanks...I'm 31 weeks away and just NERVOUS....lol...teeth started to chattering...hehehe..just kidding...

This is my first...so I'm still here in the minor leagues and hard not to go..hmm..what is going to happen...lol...almost time to find out!!
#20 of 26 Old 08-31-2002, 08:38 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Good luck DarkJade and I'm sur you'll have no problems at all. I don't think anyone "can't" breastfeed. There are those women who have problems with milk production and such, but other than ( and other rare problems) that everybody can nurse.

Good luck and make sure you can tell.
#21 of 26 Old 09-03-2002, 11:02 AM
Addicted Member

You know that was the one thing I was most nevous about my first time too. Does your OB or hospital offer a class you can take? I took it and it was helpful. But I think the most helpful was having good support from my family.
#22 of 26 Old 09-03-2002, 11:20 AM

Unfortunately we only have one car and with Dh's schedule, it would be difficult to take classes of any time...I've made sure that the doctor knows I plan to breastfeed....I think I will be able to do it...just takes a lot of positive support and attempts to make it work
#23 of 26 Old 09-03-2002, 11:54 AM

Likes Earned: 22
There are tons of books you can get on breastfeeding if you can't take a class. That's what I did when I was pg with Drew, since Medicare wouldn't pay for classes and I couldn't afford them. I was even able to get most of them at the local library. Just a thought!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#24 of 26 Old 09-03-2002, 11:59 AM

I was thinking of doing that, plus...I think most hospitals have areas where you can rent videos too...I found out there is a local La leche group which I plan on contacting so I'll have that "wealth" of information so to speak to help me with any issues concerning breastfeeding....
#25 of 26 Old 09-04-2002, 10:53 AM
Addicted Member

I was lucky and our OB offered a class and it was a one time thing. Some lamaze classes include a breastfeeding class in them as well. I would recommed a video like you said and if you have the number for your local LLL they should be able to answer any questions you have. Also the LLL should have videos and a library that you can get books from as well.
#26 of 26 Old 10-19-2002, 10:33 PM

Well just wanted to share my experience that my breast augmentation didn't affect ed my ability to breastfeed and since day 1 of starting (10/12), I've been a milking machine for my hungry hungry hippo...

Since Thursday, I've had to wear a nursing pad on my right breast due to leaking [thought that it was a water stain until I realize it was milk]

So breast augmentation in my case didn't affected my ability to breastfeed...I think that and the fact that I had the augmentation done under the muscle played a factor since no nerves are cut in that process...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page