Breast Feeding after reduction.. - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-19-2003, 01:00 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just wondering how many women have had or know someone who has a breast reduction and breast fed successfully.

I had a reduction when I was 17 and got pregnant one month later. I was able to breast feed my daughter, although she didnt co-operate very well. So 8 years later I wonder if I'll come across any complications trying to breast feed my second baby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-19-2003, 01:12 PM
Special Member

Everything I've read suggests that it is possible to successfully breastfeed after breast reduction. I'm assuming they removed excess tissue and not your mammary glands that produce milk. Lots of babies whose mothers have had no breast surgeries are uncooperative too. Good luck to you!!
#3 of 5 Old 01-19-2003, 06:12 PM
Special Member

I've only met one lady and she breastfeed after having breast augmentation. So I'm sure you should be able to nurse your baby without any unusual problems. Congratulations on your decision to nurse!

#4 of 5 Old 01-19-2003, 08:00 PM
Special Member

Reduction shouldn't affect breastfeeding at all.
#5 of 5 Old 01-21-2003, 02:41 PM
Addicted Member

Ladies, Reduction can in fact make breastfeeding VERY difficult. I had a reduction when Iwas 19 and even though I did get to nurse all three of my boys, it was only for a VERY short time. Most of it depends on HOW the reduction was done, and if your areola and nipple was moved. Both of mine on both breasts were moved, so that may be why I had such a problem. One problem is the lack of milk. I had milk, but not nearly enough to bf solely. I wish I had. I tried everything I could. But there are some women out there who have no problems what-so-ever nursing after a reduction. But I wanted to be honest with you and let you know that there can be problems. but Please DO NOT let anything I have said deter you from breastfeeding!!!! I nursed Duncan for 4 weeks, Logan for 5 and Ian for 9, and although I couldn't do it anylonger, at least I did what I could, and they got what I had to give them. I would change that for the world!

Also, talk to your lactation consultant at your hospital, there are things they can do to help women who have had breast surgeries before their pregnancies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page