Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-10-2003, 12:14 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am breastfeeding Nicholas...and I let him go about 20 mins or so on each breast at every feeding. He seems to still be hungry after that, so I have been giving him an ounce of formula at each feeding because I don't know what else to do. The first night I gave him an ounce a formula because I breastfed him for 3 hours STRAIGHT and he was still crying and hungry?!

Any suggestions....I don't want to give him any formula at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 10-10-2003, 12:31 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 29
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that with newborns they just seem to be sparatic with their nursings at first. I would just nurse him as often and as long as he wants these first couple of weeks. I remember some nights Emily seemed to nurse all night long! I am sure that Nicholas will get on a better schedule soon. By putting him on a bottle already he is going to tend to want to use it more and more cuz it is easier for him to get fluid from with less sucking. Eventually he will refuse to nurse at all. Do what you are comfortable with but I just want you to be aware of what might happen. Doesn't it seem like they are permanently attached to the in the beging? I bet that he is really gaining well though. Can't wait to see his new pictures!
#3 of 15 Old 10-10-2003, 12:36 AM
Special Member

Hey Tara! When Elizabeth was a newborn, it seemed like I was nursing her all hours of the day. I took her to the doctor every week for 3 weeks. She gained almost a pound a week and grew an inch a week. The nurse told me that since she didn't take a pacifer and she couldn't find her thumb...I was her pacifer! Once she found her thumb, she only nursed when she was hungry. Also the nurse said that since she was gaining weight VERY well, there was no need to worry. I never gave Elizabeth formula during this time, but I did think about it. I hope I have helped even just a little.

#4 of 15 Old 10-10-2003, 12:37 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Thanks....he weighed the same as he did at birth the other day so atleast he is not losing anything. I definitely want to get him off the bottle, so I will try nursing him more.
#5 of 15 Old 10-16-2003, 02:07 AM

I'm feeling the same way Tara...Livia is constantly eating it seems! I'm feeling like she's always attached and I'm wishing that she will just take this suckie!

Just keep feeding away, I'm sure our babies will sort this whole nursing thing out before too long (I hope).
#6 of 15 Old 10-16-2003, 08:11 AM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
Kate used me as her pacifier too. The up side is it helps your milk come in a lot faster. The down side is Ouch! she chews! I felt like once my milk was well established she cut back a little. Now, she seems to be permanantly attached again. I think it is a growth spurt. Nicholas must be growing a lot.

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

#7 of 15 Old 10-16-2003, 08:30 AM

Maddie was the same way and at times it seemed like she nursed 24/7. I finally gave her a pacifer at about 2 weeks and it gave me some relief.
#8 of 15 Old 10-16-2003, 02:22 PM
Addicted Member

You just got a hungry little guy. Maybe do longer on each breast. Its the milk behind the colestruim that is supposed to make them fill up right?? Good luck!
#9 of 15 Old 10-16-2003, 02:26 PM

My sil was using formula after nursing too and the baby quit nuirsing in his third week all together. It is a hard call to make and it makes you feel badly to think that thay are still hungry. I think you are doing great. Ash and Em both did this to me too. Em I did the formula and by 4 months she weaned. Ash I just nursed it through. But man is it exhausting. to you.
#10 of 15 Old 10-29-2003, 12:09 AM

I'm having the same problem, and my little one is not gaining weight very quickly. Has it gotten any better since you all last posted about this?? I need some hope!
#11 of 15 Old 10-29-2003, 04:06 PM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
Sounds like he is using you as his pacifer. Can you get him to take a binky at all?

“

Euripides

”- John Barrymore “

#12 of 15 Old 10-29-2003, 07:33 PM
Special Member

I hope things have gotten better with Nicholas, Tara. Elizabeth would never take a pacifier and is still using me as one at night - means I can't get a good night's sleep but she refuses a pacifier.
#13 of 15 Old 10-30-2003, 12:06 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Things are much better. He is taking a paci now, and it really seems to help things.
#14 of 15 Old 10-30-2003, 01:03 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 29
That's good.
#15 of 15 Old 10-30-2003, 12:14 PM
Special Member

Glad things are better for you two.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page