Is nursing too complicated?? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-18-2001, 03:05 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am planning on nursing my baby. I only nursed Meagan for 5 weeks because it just got so hard so I gave up. I didn't really give her a chance to get the whole nursing thing down and I know now that sometimes it takes a little time.

My question is this. Do you think that we make nursing out to be way more difficult than it should be? I mean, my mom nursed all three of us for 9 months and so did my mother in law. They never used pumps or anything like that or watched videos/books etc. They just did it and did it well. I knwo women have been nursing for thousands of years and that it is so natural. Why is it that it is made out to be so hard? Is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-18-2001, 04:19 PM

I nursed my son for 8 months, then he weened himself off. In my opinion, and this is just my honest opinion, I think people are too busy now to breastfeed. I've talked to alot of people about nursing and was shocked at the number who said they didn't have time for it. They didn't want the hassles of finding a quiet room to nurse, didn't want to have to worry about expressing when they returned to work and wanted dad to get up in the middle of the night. I understand some have a hard time, babies not latching on etc.. But then I know of alot of people who gave up too easily.

What it boils down to, I think, is not that it's too complicated but that it's time consuming.

JMHO
#3 of 8 Old 09-19-2001, 02:29 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 29
I think that a lot of people get scared about trying to breastfeed b'cuz their is so much information out there about it now. Myself personally am glad that it is there cuz it has helped me out a lot, but i can see how it might scare some really young new moms, etc. I think that it is natural and yes, women have been doing it for thousand's of years, but some complications can arrise for some women(none for me after 3 bf children, btw) and the extra info is there for them so that they don't give up just cuz they get a yeast infection or sore nipples. I think that Stacey hit the nail on the head......a lot of moms now adays just don't want to take the time to sit down and nurse their baby. Isn't that so sad? I understand how some people may feel uncomfortable about pumping at work if they decide to go back to work full-time, etc. I am not knocking anyone's decision, i just think that it is too bad.
Breastfeeding is such a rewarding experience for Mom and so good for your baby! I am proud to have breastfed my 'babies' and that i 'sacrificed' my time to be able to nurse them. BUT- I hate to pump so i may be differential here!LOL!

#4 of 8 Old 09-19-2001, 10:17 AM

I just had to chuckle at the idea of not having time to nurse. For me, I don't have the time or patience to make a bottle! It's so much easier to get up in the middle of the night, half asleep and stick my baby to my chest. I don't even have to wake up all the way and neither does she because I can come to her almost immediately. It's SO easy if you ask me. I nursed Morgan for 19 months and Kailyn is still going strong at 15. I think that there's just mis-information out there that it's hard or whatever. It can be, but so can a lot of parenting issues. I don't think it's harder than bottle feeding. IMO, it's tons easier!!!! And you can go anywhere because you always have enough to feed them!
#5 of 8 Old 09-19-2001, 11:43 AM - Thead Starter

Thanks ladies!!! I was really interested to see what ya'll thought. I was TOTALLY overwhelmed by all of the info that was out there and when I did contact a lactation consultant, I think she just wasn't that good, I didn't know what the heck she was talking about. I know I could have stuck it out and I feel like I did give up too fast. So, I am looking forward to nursing this baby and having a positive experience this time.
I think that some of my frustration came from the fact that the only people I had to talk to about nursing was my mom and momin law. I love them dearly but would have preferred to talk to someone who had just been through it themselves. I was the first of all of my friends and family to have a baby so I was lacking int he support area. Now I have friends who have had kids and I have this site to come to with my questions.
I am exctied about nursing and with my first pgncy I went in with the attitude that I would try it and if I didn't like it it was no big deal. We did the whole formula thing and I agree, making bottles totally sucks and it would be much easier to just nurse. I was also really insecure about nursing anywhere but home and I think I will be much more comfortbale with it this time around.
Well, that is all.
#6 of 8 Old 09-19-2001, 12:09 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 29
Christine~
That is exactly what i thought!LOL! Who wants to get up at 3am and make a bottle? GEEZ! And then have to sterilize all that stuff! I guess i am too lazy as well then!LOL! Nursing most certainly is a lot easier!

Beth~ I am glad that you are not going to get too overwhelmed and are gonna give it another try! I wouldn't have done it with all three children if it was hard-believe me!!LOL! Good luck and we are all here for you if you need anything
#7 of 8 Old 09-19-2001, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Christine that sounds like every night of my life. It is much easier to stick a half asleep baby to your boob than go through the hassle of making a bottle. When I am really tired I bring him back to the bed with me and fall back asleep while he finishes. I am horribly lazy and if it wasn't the easiest thing to do I might not be breastfeeding.
I am lucky that I get to stay home with him though. If I had to pump I don't know how things would work out.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#8 of 8 Old 09-19-2001, 03:05 PM

In all honesty, the first 6 weeks I've always found to be frustrating. You have to remember that although it's instinctual for the baby to nurse, they really have to learn right along with you. Lack of sleep and recovery from labor and delivery doesn't help. But, I've always breastfed, so I can only guess that it comes with the territory whether you nurse or bottle-feed. I can understand, though, where someone may get frustrated within those first few weeks and think it won't get better. It does - especially after the 5 week growth spurt!! But, you may also get lucky like I did with my first and have a baby that's born to eat! LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page