Do you have any suggestions? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-31-2008, 04:02 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please let me know if you have any suggestions for us to improve the site! I love hearing from members on what we can do to improve your experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 03-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 12
Well.... Since you asked ......

I know some members would like to have pictures in their siggies. I know Dawn tried it once before and people went nuts with them. I'd love to be able to do that. I think it really helps to learn members. I associate pictures with who people are and I think it helps make it a more "intimate?"
#3 of 20 Old 03-31-2008, 04:51 PM
Special Member

One is definitley that all mods are able to delete and move threads. So much SPAM goes up and we cant do anything about it at all. It would be nice to be able to delete it as soon as it is seen.

#4 of 20 Old 03-31-2008, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do we have a way to contact some of the inactive members and try to get them back I know lives are hectic but I have to log in at least a few times a week.

I am a proud wife to a hard working man Russ
and I have two wonderful kids Hannah and Will!
#5 of 20 Old 03-31-2008, 05:55 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
I'm sure no one wants to hear this, but one reason why some members left was the fact that this site became a haven for complaining and whining. While I understand that crap happens and you need to vent, it was getting to be constant poor me, why me, this isn't fair, blah, blah, blah. I hope this doesn't return, it seems to have cleared up quite a bit... Now maybe it cleared up because we've lost a bunch of people, I dunno. JMHO.....
#6 of 20 Old 03-31-2008, 07:50 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you all for your suggestions so far, I will keep all of them in mind as the forum is reorganized and developed further. Keep 'em comin!
#7 of 20 Old 03-31-2008, 08:52 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Liz! To be honest I agree with you. I see alot of communication here that would be encouraged to be held via Private Message or email on most communities. I find the journals cumbersome on the community and was thinking that a separate area of the site for personal blogs might work better for this community so that the forum can return to being a forum.
#8 of 20 Old 03-31-2008, 09:04 PM
Jen
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 2
While I agree with Liz and Dana 100% (imagine THAT ), the only thing I do hope (since the journals are cumbersome) is that if they were to ever be removed, we would be given an opportunity (the easier the better) to copy and save our personal journals. I have had mine on here for like 7 years and have posted a LOT of major happenings in my life in there. I have from time to time copied a really important post but would love to be able to save the whole thing. I do see that you stated that maybe a space for personal blogs but was not clear if that would just transfer our current journals over.
And yes, I do think that the seperate section would be GREAT for that (would make it a lot easier to not have to wade through crap that you are not interested in ).
I really started avoiding BBU because it was becoming such a downer to me. I have had my fair share of terrible things happen to me the last couple of years but I needed a place to go to help lift me up, not to wallow in my own crap along with everyone elses. That is one reason you will not find a lot of boo-hoo posts by me.....I have enough time to do that myself and I get on here to get a boost of confidence.....or at least I used to, a long time ago...
#9 of 20 Old 03-31-2008, 10:18 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Jen! This is feedback stage, I'd just like to hear from you all what you think are the positives/negatives and what you feel can be improved. If any changes are eventually decided nothing drastic will happen to them, we'll give members plenty of time to gather what they need before anything is changed.
#10 of 20 Old 03-31-2008, 11:15 PM

Janice, I see your point about the journals, but I really like that part of the forum. Like Jen, I have had mine for a while. From time to time, I do go back and look at old threads in my journal. While this is a parenting site, I think it's fair to keep the journals as they are. We are people, with lives, too, in addition to being parents. Many times, the journal has been a great outlet for me, especially since it isn't (or didn't used to be) seen by non-members.

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#11 of 20 Old 04-01-2008, 12:23 AM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Tammy, were a decision made to switch journals to blogs everyone would still have a place to express themselves on the site. You would have your very own member blog, which would work in much the same manner as your threads here on the forum. The difference would be that there is a distinct line between the blogs and the forum. This would also help with forum administration and keeping the amount of forums we have under control while allowing members the freedom to create, edit, and delete their own blogs as they wish. The forum as it stands has a bloated structure that can be difficult to navigate for anyone not familiar with it.
#12 of 20 Old 04-01-2008, 01:02 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 18
Likes Given: 1
i remember when i first joined i loved how bubbly and welcoming people made me feel.

also something that made want to post was getting a new title the more posts i got

what got me posting as a 'usual' poster was my first 'post the most' contest. it took the nerves out of putting my words out there for all to see
#13 of 20 Old 04-01-2008, 08:55 AM

Janice, if the journals are turned into blogs, will the public be able to view them or will it still be just so that only members can see them?

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#14 of 20 Old 04-01-2008, 11:16 AM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

I will research the product and make sure it follows usergroup permissions, I think the member may be able to set their own privacy controls on it but I need to research the product more. I will let you know.
#15 of 20 Old 04-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Addicted Member

I joined when I was pregnant with my first son seven years ago. I lived away from all my friends and family and had nobody to talk to about pregnancy or preparing for the baby, or anything I was dealing with in my day to day life. This place was a lifesaver for me.

I know we all need to vent sometimes, but for a while, it was just complete drama and that turned a lot of people off.

As a moderator, I know I haven't been on as much as I used to be since I moved, but one thing that really bothered me when I was on constantly was that I had co-mods that didn't communicate with me at all and would go MIA for literally months at a time.

And I agree with the editing/moving thing. We get SO much spam and a few inappropriate things posted all over. Having to ask someone to help move it can get a little cumbersome. If the first person to see if has the ability to nip it in the bud, that would be great.
#16 of 20 Old 04-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Addicted Member

oh... I just had to mention, I just went to upload a couple of pics,and I LOVE the ability to upload more than one picture at a time. That is great. Thanks.
#17 of 20 Old 04-01-2008, 11:52 AM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinapooh2
oh... I just had to mention, I just went to upload a couple of pics,and I LOVE the ability to upload more than one picture at a time. That is great. Thanks.
I'm glad you noticed and it saved you some time/ made you happy!
#18 of 20 Old 04-01-2008, 11:56 AM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

As a moderator, I know I haven't been on as much as I used to be since I moved, but one thing that really bothered me when I was on constantly was that I had co-mods that didn't communicate with me at all and would go MIA for literally months at a time.
Dina, it's important to have solid guidelines for staff. There will be some of those implemented shortly. Thank you for your honesty, I value and appreciate it from each of you who have spoken up.

Quote:
And I agree with the editing/moving thing. We get SO much spam and a few inappropriate things posted all over. Having to ask someone to help move it can get a little cumbersome. If the first person to see if has the ability to nip it in the bud, that would be great.
This is definitely a reoccurring concern. I will focus next on changes that need to be made in this area.
#19 of 20 Old 04-03-2008, 04:11 AM

Likes Earned: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonne
Do we have a way to contact some of the inactive members and try to get them back I know lives are hectic but I have to log in at least a few times a week.
This is a good point! It would be nice to be able to re-invite some of the old members to check us out to see what wonderful changes are going on!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#20 of 20 Old 04-03-2008, 11:52 AM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

I did send out an email to all forum members announcing the changes and the contest. Everyone should have received a copy in the email they have associated with their account.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page