Getting your tubes tied - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-20-2006, 04:03 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you had your tubes tied? I've decided that after this baby is delivered while they are in there anyway, I will get my tubes tied. The VA appears to be thrilled by this decision. I'm sure they would have paid for it before I had any children.

I've been messing with birth control or pregnancy issues for the last 22 years and I'm ready to end it all. We never wanted more than 2 anyway. Well, maybe dh did, but we can't afford more than 2 and I'm not having any more c-sections.

Did anyone have any complications with this? Regrets? Any residual pain? Did you have it done in conjuction with your section?

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 07-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
I plan to have mine done asap.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#3 of 17 Old 07-20-2006, 04:17 PM - Thead Starter

The thing is, my mother didn't have even a hint of menopause until after she was 55. When I last spoke to her 3 years ago, she was 56 and menopause had just started to raise it's ugly head. I just keep thinking "Another 15 years of AF! I've already had AF for close to 30 years! " Since I can't control the long fertile life that runs in my family, at least I can stop the birth control part.

“

Euripides

”- John Barrymore “

#4 of 17 Old 07-20-2006, 04:27 PM

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
I'm considering getting mine done when the twins arrive... I look forward to reading what anyone has to say about it...
#5 of 17 Old 07-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 10
I already have my scheduled during the delivery. They will leave me epidural space intacted and take me in the next day. This way I don't have to have anthethesia sp?. Doc will go through my belly button and tie them off......
#6 of 17 Old 07-20-2006, 05:50 PM - Thead Starter

I've got it scheduled too. Since I am having a c-section, it will just be an add on after they are finished.

“

Euripides

”- John Barrymore “

#7 of 17 Old 07-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Given: 1
I would love to have my tubes tied!! I don't plan on having any children and I really don't feel like taking BC pills until I'm 50 or so and putting up with AF that long.

I'm just scared of surgery so I'll probably chicken out!
#8 of 17 Old 07-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Addicted Member

I talked to the doctor about having mine tied when I was PG with Trey. He talked DH and I out of it and talked DH into getting the vasectomy. His points were this.

1) I birth the kids so he could have the vasectomy done.
2) you wouldn't want it done right then and there because God forbid anything happen to that baby wouldn't you want to try again.
3) out patient for me and he could have his done right in the office.

Those were the choices we were given so when Trey was 6 months old we had DH fixed.

Just somethings to think about Lenora.
#9 of 17 Old 07-20-2006, 07:56 PM

I had a friend who had it done right after the C-section. Right after they delivered the baby they tied her tubes, it was the same operation really no more cuts.
#10 of 17 Old 07-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 12
Kevin said he'd get a V. He said getting your tubes tied was too much of a surgery. Told me all I have to do is say the word and he will go.
#11 of 17 Old 07-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 2
I am making dh get the snip. I would have to go down to Kentucky to have it done (the hospital I am delivering at is catholic and they won't do it, and the other hospital in town my insurance doesn't pay for) plus have a scar (which I don't want, but if I was in need of a c-section I was going to have it done for convenience sake since they'd already be in there). So, I told dh that it was his turn to do something.

Now, if it would get rid of AF I would have been jumping at the bit to get it done
#12 of 17 Old 07-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleB
Now, if it would get rid of AF I would have been jumping at the bit to get it done
You aer not kidding. I would love for it to be GONE for good.
#13 of 17 Old 07-21-2006, 11:02 AM
Special Member

I made dh get snipped...b/c doctors here won't do it til you're at least 25 with 2 kids unless there is a medical reason!!! I would love to get rid of AF too!!
#14 of 17 Old 07-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Special Member

I had mine tied when I had Connor. I never had any pain from the tubes being tied just the c section it self. Each month I get very tender right in the area where my tubes are. My dr said it is because I am ovulating and it is irritating my tubes. I never had that feeling before I had them tied.
Honestly I do have times I wish I never had it done, but I know it was the best decision.
#15 of 17 Old 07-21-2006, 02:26 PM - Thead Starter

If I didn't already need a c-section and the VA wasn't paying for the whole thing, then I would push dh to be the one to get the snip. But since I am having a c-section and the VA is paying, free beats paying the 25% insurance won't for dh to get the snip.

“

Euripides

”- John Barrymore “

#16 of 17 Old 07-21-2006, 10:38 PM

Location: The Funny Farm, Where life is beautiful all the time...
DH is getting the snip. Both kids were vaginal births, so I'm not having another surgery under general anesthesia when he can have a little incision and snip-snip under local anesthesia. He will be up and around the next day. With my other GYN surgeries it took a bit longer than that to recover. I figure I went through all the stuff (pain, tests, meds, surgeries) to have the kids as well as DELIVERED them. The snip is the LEAST he can do.

Kim
DH Chris 8-6-94 **15 Years! **

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." Warren Buffett
Mom to Lauren 10/26/04 & Ryan 4/6/06 MC 3/22/07 Comet (10-5-09... RIP Bubba) Visit me @
&...

#17 of 17 Old 07-23-2006, 01:37 PM

DH is getting a vasectomy. We plan on him having it done in December. Everyone I know (as in friends and family members) who have had their tubes tied has had problems--either pain and discomfort for a long time after having it done or other medical problems.
For me it's not a case of who has been through more, it's just that the vasectomy is less invasive, quicker recovery, etc. My doctors will not tie tubes at the same time as the c-section. I would have to have it done a day or two later, and I don't want to have that done on top of the c-section.

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page