Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-03-2004, 03:32 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If money were no option, would you send your child to a private school? If so, why? What would do look for?

If your child is currently attending a private school, what kind is it, and what did you look for when you were registering them for school?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 06-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 2
I'm torn on this one - I like the fact that most private schools have better teacher/student ratios, and therefore the kids get more one-on one attention...but, I'm a child of public schools and felt that I rec'd a good education in one. Soooo......

Count me as undecided
#3 of 15 Old 06-03-2004, 04:23 PM
Special Member

I would send my kids to a private religious school because the educations are usually better, the teacher/student ratio is usually a lot lower, the violence/gang/drug probems aren't as rampant, and our religious beliefs would be instilled on a daily basis. Prayers would be welcomed and expected, not banned.

Most of the public schools around here are just the opposite of everything above.

#4 of 15 Old 06-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 12
Lys will be going to a private religious school starting in the fall. Her dad decided not me. It doesn't really bother me one way or the other I grew up doing both.
#5 of 15 Old 06-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Special Member

Jessica attended a private school pre-k through 6th grade. As she got older, I gave her the choice and before 7th grade she decided to go to public school. She received an excellent education in private school AND in the public middle school that she attended....BUT the public high school that she now attends, is not benefiting her at all. I honestly think that it is all in the teachers that your child is blessed or cursed with

Does that make any sense?
#6 of 15 Old 06-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Special Member

That makes perfect sense, Shelia!

My SILs whose children attend public schools have said the same thing and that you have to be an advocate for your child to ensure that they are assigned to the best teachers and that they are getting the education they deserve.
#7 of 15 Old 06-08-2004, 10:46 AM
Addicted Member

I am totally for Private Religious education schools. I feel there are many benifits to it. I have reasearched it in depth...

1. At least in our neck of the woods you pay for what you get and the Catholic schools are better than the public.

2. Also here the Private schools tests scores are a bit highter than the public schools.

3. A Catholic school is where education begins for a lifetime.
Parents who want the best for their children are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to pay for their education. When you have to pay for something you value it more.

4. Parish schools are dedicated to giving children the very best they can.

5. A catholic education is founded on the teachings of Christ and Christian values which helps produce a better student and individual. Children who receive a Catholic education are self-confident, have respect for each other and their world. They grow to be good neighbors.

6. Catholic schools have a proven track record of educating the whole student - the mind, the body and the soul. These students learn in a safe and nurturing environment that usually requires parental involvement and reinforces the values of a Christian life and good citizenship.

7. Students from Catholic schools are more likely to go on to college, become community leaders and give back to their local communities in ways that are far beyond their counterparts in the public schools.

8. Catholic schools provide the foundation for a lifetime. I would strongly recommend a 12 year parochial education.
Attending a parochial school helps the family grow spiritually. The family that prays together, stays together.

9. A catholic education means that parents will need to make sacrifices. Examine your priorities. If doing everything possible to help your children become the individuals that they can be, then the sacrifices will not be a burden. These sacrifices will come from the heart.

In the big picture, it is not the material things that we give our children, but the intangibles -- the values and morals that stay with them throughout their lives. Our Kids will only be in grade school just once in their life.

Catholic schools are not perfect, no school is perfect. But we believe that catholic schools work hard to bring the best that they can to their students. Catholic teachers are certainly not in in for the money or for the retirement fund. They do what they do because the love children.

This is a little bit of the research that I looked into. This is just my own opinion and I dont mean to make a debate out of it. Take it or leave it this is my feelings on it.
#8 of 15 Old 07-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 9
Yes.

One skilled in LD or "special needs" children would be good and spiritually-based wouldn't hurt at all.
#9 of 15 Old 07-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Special Member

I would send Elizabeth to a private school just because I have heard so many good things about private schools. Like the kids gets better one on one help
#10 of 15 Old 07-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Special Member

If money were no object, I would still homeschool our son. I would buy more materials and hire a tutor at home for studying violin and piano when Michael is older if he wants.
#11 of 15 Old 07-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Jen
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 2
Nope. I am very satisfied with our public schools here. They are wonderful! I would probably send them to private if the public school district was bad but it is not. That was one of the major deciding factors when we moved.
#12 of 15 Old 07-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Special Member

I am very happy with the public schools here, but if we ever move to the city, it will depend on the schools there. I always said before that when we move, they will be going to private schools, but now I guess it just depends on the school.
#13 of 15 Old 07-05-2004, 03:17 PM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
If money were no option, I would hire Sandra to teach my dd! The only private school I would send my dd to is one for advanced placement like Thomas Jefferson or Juliard. Here the private schools are all part of churches whose beliefs I consider rather odd. I am definitely not sending my dd to a school full of people.

I grew up around Catholic schools and they were the biggest partiers around. Maybe I was just around bad Catholic schools, but the one in my area had teachers without a college educations and the kids blew up the tiolets and stuff like that. If we had done that in public school, we would have gotten so bad!

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

#14 of 15 Old 07-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Special Member

I like the idea of private schools. I went to a private catjolic school for nine years growing upm because that's what my family belief was.

I wish there were more private secular schools, because religion should be the responisbilty of the parent/family. It was nice having it reinforced growing up, but I had d\several student s who went to school with me who ahd nothing to do during their school day because they weren't of that religion.

I wish public schools were better everywhere so we didn't have to worry about the idea of saving for a better education. (can you tell this is a topic we have already spoken about and we have no kids and aren't even married! )

SO more than likely when I have kids it will be private schools or homeschooling unless something happens to revamp public education.

Sorry for the longwinded answer...
#15 of 15 Old 07-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
I'm kinda with Grace on this one... I think kids raised in a strict religious enviornment can be worse than kids raised in a more relaxed enviornment without so many rules. Maybe it is because so many more things are enforced as being bad that they want to more than they normally would? JMO
Having been a Christian private school student and a youth group kid, I've seen and done some crazy stuff.

Having school age children, I would never live somewhere that I felt the schools weren't good enough to send my children to. I may consider a specialty private school (like a school for the arts) if my child were interested though.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page