Oprah's Pay it forward - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-11-2006, 03:23 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found this on another website..it's actually a couple of days old. Oprah had a show where she gave everyone $1000 to do something good with. One of the people on the show was from the Milwaukee area.

When Jocelyn Turner ran out of formula to feed her 3-month-old daughter, Anastasia, the young mother turned to the only food she could afford.

"I gave her skim milk. I didn't know what else to do," said Turner, who had been told that cow's milk shouldn't be given to a baby before the first birthday. "I knew it could probably hurt her, but she was hungry, crying and upset."

Although Turner receives a monthly supply of formula from the women, infants and children nutrition program known as WIC, she said all of the formula she received was gone.

"A can of formula can be $14 or $15. I can't afford that," said Turner, who receives five cans of powdered formula a month. "She goes through a can every two days. She likes to eat."

What Turner faced is quite common for many low-income mothers, said Sherrie Tussler, executive director of the Hunger Task Force.

The agency gave Turner an emergency supply of formula for her daughter until she received her next monthly supply from WIC.

"Infant formula is still incredibly expensive. It is liquid gold," Tussler said. "You can't substitute anything else, or you jeopardize a baby's health."

Although the agency receives food donations, it rarely receives infant formula, Tussler said.

"It is hard to come by," she said. "When you close your eyes and imagine homeless and hunger, you don't think of a baby."

When Turner got to one of the agency's infant-needs sites last week, she received her emergency supply from an unlikely source.

"I wanted to help needy kids," said Amy McBurney, who donated $1,000 worth of formula to the Hunger Task Force as part of the "Pay It Forward" challenge on Oprah Winfrey's TV show.

McBurney, a recent audience member on Winfrey's talk show, was among 300 guests who were given the challenge. They received a $1,000 Bank of America card to use to help others in their communities. They also received a video camera to capture their good deeds.

"Right off the bat, I wanted to do something to help kids," said McBurney, who has two small children of her own. She said she came up with the idea to buy formula after seeing it behind lock and key at several retail stores.

"You know that moms are desperate for their children if they have to steal it," said McBurney, of Muskego, who brought the supply of formula to the Our Savior's Lutheran Church site. "When people donate, that's one of the things they forget to donate."

Turner received six 12-ounce cans of formula from the donation.

"Sometimes, you get down and out and you feel no one is there. I didn't know how I was going to feed her," Turner said, holding her daughter. "To know you have someone to help make ends meet feels good."

From the Nov. 5, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 18
Likes Given: 1
that's a great pay it forward.

formula is under lock and key? that's extreme sounding
#3 of 11 Old 11-11-2006, 03:49 PM - Thead Starter

It's common around here to see formula behind the counter in alot of grocery stores. The weird part is it's usually next to cigarettes because they are stolen so often too.

#4 of 11 Old 11-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 2
wow, that's a great story, it's so sad to think of mother's having to steal formula because the aren't provided enough from wic or they simply can't afford it
#5 of 11 Old 11-11-2006, 05:32 PM

Most of the gprvery stores here lock it up too. THe bigger stores like walmart and kmart dont though. That is a great story.

Becky
Wayne since 8/07~ almost a year! Who would have thought I would ever find my prince?

Samantha 4/19/95
Logan 10/9/01 Kia 9/10/98 Colby 3/28/01 I am a Motorcross Momma!!Enter to win BabyUniversity's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Contest and a $25 GC!
#6 of 11 Old 11-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 12
It makes you wonder how the other audience members used their $$.
#7 of 11 Old 11-11-2006, 07:25 PM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
I've never seen that here. I didn't realize it was so expensive. I kind of figured it was when I read formula feeding mothers spend $54 to $200 a month on formula at the WebMD site. I'm glad the mothers who were in need got their formula.

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

”- John Barrymore “

#8 of 11 Old 11-11-2006, 07:43 PM - Thead Starter

I think she's going to do a follow up show about how people spent the money. I know they all got camcorders to record the information. That should be a good show.
#9 of 11 Old 11-11-2006, 07:58 PM

Yea .. great stories!!

Here is what one of our local radio stations helped an Oprah guest do ..

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...oprahgift.html
#10 of 11 Old 11-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Addicted Member

I think Oprah's website said that the what they did with the $$ is airing on the 21st.
#11 of 11 Old 11-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxanna
Yea .. great stories!!

Here is what one of our local radio stations helped an Oprah guest do ..

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...oprahgift.html
That's one of the best stories I have heard! Thaks for sharing it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page