Mother of rat-bitten children gets reduced bond - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-18-2003, 07:43 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MOUNT VERNON, Mo. -- A woman who is charged with child abuse and child endangerment got out of jail for the first time in six weeks after a hearing on Thursday. A judge reduced the bond of Charlee Heitz from $65,000 to $10,000 after she agreed to six conditions for her release.
On Dec. 2, Aurora police arrested Heitz after two of her friends took her twin sons, who were just under six months old at the time, to a hospital to be treated for rat bites. Later, police say, Heitz’ two-year-old son told them that he also had been bitten.

Heitz lived in Aurora at the time of her arrest. She is estranged from her husband. When the children were bitten, they were alone in an upstairs room of a filthy house that Heitz, her boyfriend and the other friend were cleaning in preparation for moving away from it. The twins were strapped in car seats. Police said Heitz was intoxicated when they arrested her.

Heitz is charged with two counts of child abuse and three counts of child endangerment. On Thursday, she waived her right to a preliminary hearing, at which the prosecutor would have presented some of the evidence against her. Associate Circuit Court Judge Larry Meyer sent the case to circuit court.

Heitz smiled at her parents through her tears when Meyer agreed to reduce her bond. The judge told Heitz not to see her kids unless the visits are supervised, not to talk to their father or any witnesses in the case, not to drink alcohol, not to leave Missouri and to live with her parents.

"The truth will come out,” said Heitz’ father, Arlis Gideon, in an interview after the hearing. “Charlee's 22 years old. She’s never been in any trouble. She loves her children."

Gideon was waiting to take his daughter home. She’s scheduled to make her first appearance in circuit court on Feb. 10. Lawrence County Prosecuting Attorney Robert George says he's offered Heitz a plea agreement that carries jail time. Heitz's attorney, Dean Price of Springfield, has not accepted so a trial could be on way. If convicted on the five charges, she could get up to 29 years in prison.

George said overcrowding at the county jail is one reason he agreed to the reduced bond but he believes the case is one for which Heitz needs to pay for her crimes.

"This is a case that I think warrants some kind of punishment," George said in an interview after the hearing.

The children are in foster care under the auspices of the Missouri Division of Family Services. Her father believes she’ll get the children back.

“I believe she will,” said Gideon. “She's willing to take any kind of treatment or anything she needs to do. I believe that’s the reason the case went the way it did."

Arthur Heitz of Springfield, Charlee Heitz's estranged husband, is scheduled to appear in court on Jan. 30 on a charge of child abuse, which is unrelated to the incident on Dec. 2. George filed that charge last week. Investigators believe Arthur Heitz placed the couple's son on an electric space heater. He is free on his own recognizance, which means a judge didn’t see the need to set a bond.

----

Previous reports

Fellow inmate threatens Heitz

Mother will fight to keep children

Heitz is charged

http://www.ky3.com/newsdetailed.asp?id=4016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-19-2003, 07:49 PM - Thead Starter

Doesn't anyone remember me posting about this when it first happened?
#3 of 7 Old 01-19-2003, 08:37 PM
Special Member

Yeah, but I think we are more worried about Stacey and Keara.

#4 of 7 Old 01-19-2003, 08:40 PM
Special Member

I remember it. That is disgusting. I hope she doesn't get those kids back.
#5 of 7 Old 01-19-2003, 11:15 PM - Thead Starter

Awwwwww that is so wonderful Jennifer........
#6 of 7 Old 01-19-2003, 11:30 PM

I agree. How could you put your children in a place like that? Then leave them by themselves? Even if you are in the same house. If the cinditions were that bad (if she lived there she must have contibuted to the mess) she should have left he kids with someone else or kept them with her.

Becky
Wayne since 8/07~ almost a year! Who would have thought I would ever find my prince?

Samantha 4/19/95
Logan 10/9/01 Kia 9/10/98 Colby 3/28/01 I am a Motorcross Momma!!Enter to win BabyUniversity's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Contest and a $25 GC!
#7 of 7 Old 01-20-2003, 01:51 AM

Likes Earned: 22
That's appalling! How could someone do that to their children!? If it was that bad, she shouldn't have left the kids alone.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page