Have you ever read the entire bible? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-26-2006, 04:53 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 3
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you ever read the entire bible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 03-26-2006, 04:58 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

This is something I have been thinking about lately since Darien came home from preschool the other day and told me about his bible story. It was one I was not entirely familiar with. I looked it up and realized there are so many parts of the bible that I am not familiar with. That is very sad since I have been in church my whole life. I feel like I should know it all.

I think I will get myself a study bible and go from there.
#3 of 18 Old 03-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 0
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, I haven't. We've done studies of a book at a time, but there are a lot of parts that I don't know well at all. I get people confused.

We've attemped to do the Bible In A Year things several times, but I get frustrated with it, because it's SOOO much to read. And if I get inerrupted, it's all downhill from there and I never finish. And once you get behind you never get caught up.

I need to get started back reading daily.

#4 of 18 Old 03-26-2006, 07:46 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

I know several people who have done the Bible In A Year and they say it is a lot of work. I don't think I could be that committed.

I'm with you Dina, I get people confused.
#5 of 18 Old 03-26-2006, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Oh goodness, no.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#6 of 18 Old 03-26-2006, 08:13 PM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
I've read then entire New Testament. I've also read quite a bit of the old testament. I've heard the whole thing. When I was a kid, our ministers where hot on this Bible in three years thing where by the end of three years, they preached a sermon on the entire Bible. After Gensis and Exodus, the first five books are rough going.

I've also read then entire Book of Mormon and parts of the Koran. The Book of Mormon is a lot more interesting reading than the Koran.

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

#7 of 18 Old 03-26-2006, 10:48 PM

Most but there are parts I've not read in whole. Mike is reading through right now. He's read most of it but is reading from the beginning to the end. Not the best way to read it.

Every January our church distributes a read it through in a year guide. Our minister says if you fall behind pick up on the current day and skip what you missed. You can always go back and read the missed parts later. They reccomend one Old Test, one part of the gospels (then New Test), one Psalm or Proverb every day even if you don't plan to read it through.
#8 of 18 Old 03-27-2006, 05:19 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Yep, altho I was only 11 at the time and it took me probably a year to do. I read from the front to the back as well.

(those " and A...begat B.. who begat C.." fair did my head in I tell you there are so many of them)

I've also read the read the Book of Morman (and another one put out by the Latter Day Saints) when Greg was going thru the bible study at home (you've got to know where your kids are getting their ideas from)

And a mish mash of other religious books but I've never read the Koran, I must do that one day.

Hey Lenora it looks like only people who don't go to church read the bible all the way thru
#9 of 18 Old 03-27-2006, 07:39 AM

I have read a lot of parts but I do not think I have ever read it cover to cover. I have a study Bible and I think I should get back into reading it again because it helps to explain so much.
#10 of 18 Old 03-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
I haven't yet. I have been wanting to though.
#11 of 18 Old 03-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 9
I subscribe to a service that sends a section of the Bible via email each day, and it usually comes in with my daily computer time. I've read through twice doing that. Trying something different year, though, reading only until I feel there is something I need to work on a little more or pray about.
#12 of 18 Old 06-04-2008, 11:52 AM

Not yet, but I'm working on it. A friend of mine recommended I try a method he uses to read the Bible in a year: read one book of the Old Testament, then one of the NT, plus Psalms & Proverbs. Basically, start in Genesis and read 3 chapters at a time, plus a chapter from Psalms. Once you're finished with Genesis, read Matthew (three chapters at a time, plus a Psalm. Once you finish Psalms, go to Proverbs.) Then read Exodus, then Mark, etc.

It's actually working so far, which is saying a lot because I've tried several different methods. I'm working on 1 Kings right now.
#13 of 18 Old 06-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Addicted Member

No. I've read a lot of it, but I've never been successful with the "through the Bible in a year" type programs. I think I'd do better in a group setting, because when I'm reading it on my own, there are things I don't understand and I don't have any way to get clarification, so I get frustrated. Especially in the OT.
#14 of 18 Old 06-07-2009, 08:11 PM

Nope. I've read lots of it, but never cover to cover. I just talked w/ Ro about this last night and we'd like to do it together. He understands it better than I do and can help explain things I may not understand well.
#15 of 18 Old 06-08-2009, 10:38 AM

Likes Earned: 13
My mom made me read pages of the bible every night so yes I have read it all. Only took me about 6 months though.
#16 of 18 Old 06-08-2009, 04:47 PM

Likes Earned: 22
YUP! I read the entire thing the summer between my junior and senior year of high school. haven't read it thru again since then, tho. I just read it like a regular book. If I got bored with it, I put it down for a day or 2, then went back to it. It's actually a really good read.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#17 of 18 Old 06-08-2009, 05:22 PM

Likes Earned: 13
^ I totally agree
#18 of 18 Old 06-25-2009, 08:50 PM

I have but my comprehension of it was lacking, so I am working on reading it all again in a year, this time in order to actually understand it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page