Do you practice the same religion - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-26-2002, 12:23 PM - Thead Starter
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that you were raised in?

If you were raised Christian do you still go to the same denomination of church?

I was raised Christian and that is still what I believe and practice but my family was never a member of a certain denomination. Most of the churches I went to were non-denominational. My family (the kids and myself) are currently going to a Methodist Church because I am working at one. I enjoy the church and the people although they are not Charismatic like I am used to.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-02-2002, 11:31 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
I grew up in a Christian home and pretty much was raised going to a Southern Baptist Church. I now go to a non-denominational church that believes the same things that the Southern Baptists believe.
#3 of 10 Old 12-02-2002, 01:56 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
I was raised Lutheran, and now got to a nondenominational church also.

#4 of 10 Old 12-03-2002, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

WELL SORRY TO SAY I CANT REALLY SAY I GREW UP IN CHURCH. MY MOM SAYS WE WENT SOMETIMES TO A METHODIST, BUT I CANT REMEBER. AFTER I GOT MARRIED MY HUBBY'S FAMILY INTRODUCED ME TO JESUS, AND IVE BEEN GOING TO A CHURCH OF GOD EVER SINCE, BUT WE WELCOME ALL TYPES OF RELIGION. THE MAIN AND IMPORTANT THING IS THAT YOU BELIEVE IN JESUS, LOVE HIM WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND SERVE HIM THE BEST YOU CAN

OH BY THE WAY, WANNABE, I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN ST.LOUIS. LIVED THERE TIL I WAS LIKE 18, WHAT PART OF ST.LOUIS ARE YOU FROM AND WHAT SCHOOL DID YOU GO TO?

THERESA...........A.K.A. OF LOVE
#5 of 10 Old 12-03-2002, 05:28 PM
Addicted Member

For the most part, yes.

I was raised in a Baptist church, although we didn't go faithfully. Mom was Baptist and Dad was Methodist. He didn't go to church at all, and she only went about 1/4 of the time until I was in Jr. High. She was pretty faithful until I was in college and then she stopped because she got mad at someone. Although I'm not sure who or what about. She'd been "hit and miss" ever since, until my stepdad started going with her last year, and now they go pretty regularly. Anyhow. I went to a Missionary Baptist church growing up, and then went to an Independant Baptist church when I was in college. I worked for their Bible college for two years. There were some problems there, and when I moved back home I didn't like the new pastor of my old church, so I went to a Southern Baptist Church and a Congregational Methodist church for activities until Bob and I got engaged. His dad is an Independant Baptist preacher, so we went to his church. And we've worked in two other Ind. Baptist churches since then. The only difference between these churches and the one I grew up in is how they take care of their missionaries.
#6 of 10 Old 12-03-2002, 10:32 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Grew up in an agnostic/athethiest household but went to a Sunday School for about a year (presbetarian (sp)) when I was 6 and then when I was about 9 the neighbours used to take every kid in the neighbourhood (they had a real live bus ) to sunday school at the Assembly of God church. Neither had any impression on me. Altho I did read the bible once when I was 11 because I kept running out of books to read LOL do you have any idea have many times the word Begat turns up in that book

My husban and his siblings were picked up by the Salvation Army for sunday school so his parents could sleep in on a Sunday (the same reason we went I suspect ).

We do not go to church at all. Our eldest chose to be baptised at 12 after going to sunday school for about 18 months (he wanted to go) and the other two have never mentioned going to SS or church. Until they do we won't bother about it.
#7 of 10 Old 12-10-2002, 06:23 PM
Addicted Member

We never really went to church as kids. The Baptist Church bus would pick me up when I was about 5-6? And I think I went most Sunday's. Once we moved to California we lived with my grandparents and were forced to go to their church... After we moved out of my grandparent's house my mom did not ever really attend but I did occasionally. And I think this was a non-denominational church. Years later when I was in Junior High I attended youth group thru them. When we moved to Indiana I went to a Nazarine church for a while and then when we were in Maryland attended a Presbyterian church. Court grew up presbyterian and if he went to church still that is where he would go. I am currently without church...but I am not picky as to the type so long as they do nothing strange...LOL
#8 of 10 Old 12-18-2002, 03:55 PM
Special Member

I was raised Missionary Baptist and really hated going to church - not the faith. But because I hated going, I didn't learn anything about the beliefs of the the missionary baptist. All I remember is that the people going to the church were so mean to everyone. They were like a little sect where they didn't want any outsiders coming in and would even talk about those that were part of their little group.

But the thing that made me stop going was when I was a senior in high school, one preacher asked everyone to bow their heads and to raise their hands if they were saved. Of course I did not raise mine and he pointed me out, pulled me to the front of the church and had everyone pray that I would be saved so that I would not go to ****. I was in tears because I was so humiliated. My parents were not there, of course, (my mother never went because she didn't get along with the people in the church and my dad hardly went because he couldn't get his lazy butt out of bed) and these people would not let me leave. They finally realized I wasn't going to be saved and let me go and that was the last time I went to that church.

So, that turned me off baptists. Billy was raised Catholic and although he has some issues with the church right now, that is where we go to church. We have found one that we enjoy going to - the people and the priests are wonderful. It's the first time in my life that I've felt like I was getting something out of going to church.
#9 of 10 Old 12-18-2002, 03:58 PM - Thead Starter
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
I'm glad that you have found a place that you are comfortable Lisa.
The youth group that I went to always did the bow your head and raise your hand thing and I hated that they did that. I disliked the entire church actually.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#10 of 10 Old 08-03-2003, 11:04 PM

My mom and I went to a Presbyterian Church but I was a kid and I don't remember getting much out of it. I started going to a Baptist church because a friend invited me. I liked it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page