The first time you felt like a terrible mom - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 11-08-2001, 06:26 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I know I'm not alone, but I felt like the world's worst mommy yesterday. My 6 mo. son is just about ready to crawl and sits up on his own now. Well, I had him on the couch with me as he "read" a magazine. I got up for a split second to grab a grocery list off the desk (which was one step away from the couch). Before I could even react, Samuel went head first off the couch. His little head kind of stuck as he flipped over. I immediately picked him up and tried to sooth both him and me. I have a little song called, "'There's just something about that name" that I sang to him. I've never heard him cry so hard. He was fine, just really scared. The worst part about it was after the trauma, I noticed my cell phone had a voice message on it. BTW, my cell was sitting on the couch when he flipped. I called and listened to the message, and you know what it was??? It was a recording of the entire, horrible ordeal. Somehow his falling called my voicemail. I just cried as I listened to him crying on the phone. I had to erase it cause it was so sad. Of course, 5 minutes later, my son acted like he'd never even fallen.

SOOOO, I want to hear your "terrible mother" stories now.

Gbeth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 11-08-2001, 06:42 PM
Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Poor babe, I'm glad he's okay! My story-Michael climbed up the stairs while I wasn't looking(actually I thought DH was watching him, but I guess I was wrong) and on his way back down he fell face first. He had the worst mark on him from that. I felt so so horrible for the longest time, and I definitly learned my lesson(and DH to).
#3 of 23 Old 11-08-2001, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

I'm glad he's alright

When Paige was around 1 1/2 yrs old we went to the zoo and DH and I were looking at one of the animals when all of the sudden I heard a loud thud! She had jumped out of her stroller!! I was so freaked out!! She was ok but she had a nice big bump on her forehead. I learned my lesson about not strapping her into the stroller too

#4 of 23 Old 11-08-2001, 07:17 PM

My first time was when Faith was about 9 or 10 months old, she had just gotten up from her nap and I left her in the crib so I could run her bath water. While I was in the bathroom I heard a loud boom, I ran into her room and she was laying on the floor crying. I am crying right now writing this. I was hysterical, I immediately called her Doctor because I was so afraid she had a head injury. They just told me to watch her and wake her up every couple of hours. I still feel terrible to this day!
#5 of 23 Old 11-08-2001, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Oh boy, I've got several. The first time was when David was about 10 months old. He had just started crawling and I wasn't used to it yet. I sat him on my bed (real smart!) and turned around to get something. I turned back around and watched him fall head first off the bed. I was so upset. I won't go into details about the stitches in his forehead or my daughter's front teeth about getting knocked out.
#6 of 23 Old 11-08-2001, 08:30 PM

One morning, I had Andie in bed with me, and after DH got up to shower, I was dozing off, and THUMP!! I jolted awake - 6 month old Andie had fallen from the bed. My husband heard it too and tore into the room. He yelled, "You let him fall off the bed??!!" All I could do was nod and cry and hold Andie tight. He only cried for a minute though, and was fine.

I have never felt worse than that in my life.
#7 of 23 Old 11-08-2001, 09:35 PM
Special Member

This was probably not the first, but by far, the worst moment!

When Cody was about 3 months old, I had him strapped in his infant car seat and set it on top of a box inside the minivan while I unstrapped Jessi from her seat. For whatever reason, the car seat slid off the box, out of the van, and landed face down on the asphalt!

The scariest part was that he never even cried ... I just knew I had killed him! Turns out that because he was strapped in tight, there was enough padding around him so that his head never even touched the ground. Believe me, I spent hours recreating the incident to see if it was truly possible that no part of his body touched the ground.

The worst part is that my MIL was visiting from out of state .... luckily she was already in the house, but I never, ever sat his car seat down right inside the door of the van again ... box or no box!
#8 of 23 Old 11-08-2001, 10:05 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Where do I begin?!?!?!

How about the time he crawled over to a 5 pound weight. I did not take it off of him because I really did not think he could hurt himself with it. WRONG...he dropped it on his fingers. He was 6-7 months old. I thought all he could do was roll it and nope he managed to pick it up and drop it on his fingers. Luckily they did not break.

Or how about the time he tried being Super Man and flew off the couch.

Lately we have had many episodes where he has fallen and given himself bloody noses. Like 3 or 4 times we have had bloody noses....only since he has started walking though. Before that there was never a drop of blood spilled from this boy
#9 of 23 Old 11-08-2001, 11:12 PM

Oh Dawn, you poor baby!! You must have been so scared!!! I am glad that he was okay!
#10 of 23 Old 11-08-2001, 11:27 PM

here's one for the stepmothers~

I think being a stepmother can be difficult in that you don't establish an everyday "routine". Sometimes the kids are there (and the routine changes) and sometimes not. When dh and I were first married....we had his daughters one weekend. *I* was used to Saturdays being a day to sleep in, etc. Of course, I didn't realize that a 4 and 5 year old will get up MUCH earlier than the average working adult (LOL!).

So...we get this phone call about 8:30 in the morning. Apparently my sd's had left the house in their pajamas and no shoes...and gone next door to play with the neighbor kids. The mother opened the door to two shivering kids in their pajamas. She was polite enough to let them in, and went about cooking breakfast for her family. I guess her gag reflex was finally hit when the girls said to her (very pathetically) BOY! THOSE PANCAKES SURE LOOK GOOD! CAN WE HAVE SOME??! WE'RE STARVING!!! UUUgggggg! So I get this call from the next door neighbor..telling me that I need to come and get the children, they are cold, hungry and half dressed! I was soooo embarressed! We ran next door right away, apologizing profusely! And made a new rule in the house! NOONE LEAVES THE HOUSE WITHOUT PARENTAL PERMISSION! And if we were still asleep when they woke up..they had to come in and give us kisses! (our alarm clocks!!! )

How embaressing!!!! My first wake-up call of what it is like having 2 little ones around!!!
#11 of 23 Old 11-09-2001, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Hehehe. My son is only six months old and has fallen off the bed or couch more times than I can count. Poor guy cries for a minute and then is fine. We co-sleep so I often leave him napping on the bed but since he started rolling over around 8 wks old he has been falling off when I don't hear him wake up first.
When he was only one week old I layed him down on top of a big bunched up blanket on the couch and walked to the kitchen to get a drink. I heard a thud and a little teeny cry. I guess the blanket settled and slid a little from his weight. oops.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#12 of 23 Old 11-09-2001, 02:25 PM

I can't tell you how much better I feel about my incident with Andie - it looks like something similar has happened to almost everyone! Whew!! I'm not the only one!!
#13 of 23 Old 11-09-2001, 03:38 PM

I feel a little better now, too. I thought for sure that I was a horrible mother!
#14 of 23 Old 11-12-2001, 02:03 PM
Special Member

Lets see
Josh has......at 1 month fell off the couch,fallen off the bed more times than I can count,he's fallen face first out of the stroller that I didn't buckle right,burned his finger on a light bulb,sprayed Mr Clean in his mouth,and got his head stuck in a hard plastic bucket that I had to cut off.
Jake has...... rolled off the bed,fallen out of the playpen that I didn't latch properly,pulled a full can off garbage on himself,got his head stuck between a wall and a dresser, fallen down the stairs and pulled a 4' shelf unit full of knick-knacks down on himself.
Oh, and I lost my step-daughter in the grocery store once for about 10 minutes.

There goes my "greatest mommy" award!!!!!!
#15 of 23 Old 11-12-2001, 02:21 PM

Ph pajii! I forgot about losing my sd in Mervyn's! She was playing hide-and-seek with her sister under the clothes rack...and somehow got herself lost in the other end of the dept! I didn't even realize it (kept thinking she was in the clothes somewhere) until they called my name on the intercom! There she was...crying..with Security around her AND EVERYONE GAWKING!!!

It's times like those you swear you hear people "tsking" you throughout the store!!
#16 of 23 Old 11-12-2001, 03:09 PM - Thead Starter

I don't know why it makes me feel better to know I am not alone in the "occcasional terrible mother" episodes. Thanks for all your horrible stories....I am amazed kids grow up to be adults.

: )
Gbeth
#17 of 23 Old 11-12-2001, 08:49 PM
Special Member

Caitlyn trying to hang herself November 7, 2001 on my anniversary.
#18 of 23 Old 11-12-2001, 08:55 PM

Gbeth- I agree...I am strangely comforted by all of the stories. I AM NOT THE WORST MOM IN THE WORLD!!!!!!! Woo!! How freeing it is to ba able to yell that once in a while!! LOL
#19 of 23 Old 11-12-2001, 09:52 PM - Thead Starter

I totally agree. After Samuel fell off the sofa, I called my sister and let her tell me of how many times her kids had fallen off her tall bed, and how she had to call the fire department cause she locked herself out of the house as her 7 mo. old stared at her through the window from inside.

I secretly said to myself, "Whoa, she is a lot worse than me.."

hee hee,
Gbeth
#20 of 23 Old 11-12-2001, 10:01 PM

I have a HORRIBLE story- but I will tell it because it has a happy ending...

I used to babysit for this family when I was a teenager. They have four kids. One day, the mom was going to the store and the kids were in the backyard with their dad. She got in their van, and began to back out of the driveway, when all of a sudden, she felt the tire go over something. Thinking it was one of the kids bikes, she put it in drive, and went over it a second time to clear it, then got out of the van. There was her 2 yr. old girl!!! She became hysterical and started screaming. Everyone came running -

Long story short, the little girl was miraculously FINE. No broken bones, no internal bleeding - just a bruise with the tire tread going across her chest. It was really amazing! Imagine a little girl withstanding the weight of a van!

So, don't you feel better still....
#21 of 23 Old 11-12-2001, 10:05 PM

Omigosh! Where's the Xanax?! I'm a nervous wreck just READING that story!!!!
#22 of 23 Old 11-13-2001, 04:30 AM
Addicted Member

When Logan was about a month old or so, Duncan was only 13 months old. I was so tired, you wouldn't believe it. Well one morning when George went to work, Logan woke up. I went and got him and layed him on the bed with me and proceeded to fall asleep again, until I heard this awful thump! Logan had fallen head first off the bed! He only cried for about 3 or 4 minutes, but I cried for about 30. I felt sooo bad.
#23 of 23 Old 04-29-2002, 03:02 PM
Addicted Member

Jeez, I fee so much better... Along with the normal 2 or 3 times of rolling off the couch, I left Brandon in the bathroom for 30 seconds, thought I had closed the door behind me until I heard some thuds and found him 4 steps from the bottom of our stairs. I almost had a heartattack!!!! Needless to say, I didn't tell my husband until 2 - 3 days later!!!

The other time was when we were trying the cry it out method and after an hour of crying, checking on Brandon to find him with arms and legs hanging between bars of crib, face smashed against bars with nose looking like porky pig, sound asleep! I determined then and there, that the cry it out method was not for me, the guilt-ridden mother!!!

Mother to love of my life, Brandon Michael 8 mos
Wife to John (other love of my life) 11-6-99

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page