User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-06-2001, 05:34 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, they have started Alexis on cereal. First off, they said give her rice cereal at first but since I had already been giving her a little cereal in her milk at night I am using the Mixed Cereal. Is that bad??? Also, she is adjusting to it but a little slowly....any suggestions to help her out there. I have to hide her bottle or else she wants it...so I put it out of sight and then she drinks some after she has all the cereal she will take. She did not like the banana. What were your babies favorites? When should I start her on the apple sauce and such...they just said when she was ready but how do I know when she is ready???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-06-2001, 06:24 PM

Hi,
I know that when we started my daughter on rice cereal she didn't take it so well for me. My sitter would tell me that she ate real good for her but when I tried to feed her at home she would not want it or only a little. What I ended up doing was mixing fruit in with it like banannas and applesauce. I also always mixed it with her formula instead of water. She seemed to like it with the fruit, and then eventually she started eating it with or without the fruit. They say that when starting them out they may not take to it right away and at first may only eat about 3 tablespoons or less. Also as far as if it is too soon for applesauce.. Our pediatrician said there is either formual/breastmilk or there is food. No matter if it is applesauce, peas, whatever they all fit in the same catagory. So with my daughter I just started a new fruit and vegetable everyweek. I believe applesauce was the second one we tried. Everything went okay, now she is a wonderful eater. It just took a little time and a little testing.
****PS - thanks for sharing on your teeting and ear infections. Good luck!
#3 of 9 Old 03-06-2001, 07:08 PM - Thead Starter

I do not think she is going to go for the rice cereal either. I will try some fruit and do the thing you do with trying something new every week. It is kinda exciting!!
I always use formula for it though...never even tried water. She does a whole lot better with mixed than rice. Thanks for the help.

#4 of 9 Old 03-08-2001, 03:03 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Christian hated the rice cereal and the banana cereal. It just was not something he wanted at all. So we started him on stage 1 at the recommended age..which is 4 months by most people. He loved baby food. We tried the cereal a month or so later and he would eat it at night before we put him to bed. We mixed his with baby juice though and that is how we got him to eat his. But is still not his favorites. Luckily they have cereal all ready made in the stage 2. Now that he is in stage 2 he loves to eat the cereal that is made like baby food.

Wendy
#5 of 9 Old 03-08-2001, 06:17 PM

Jordan has hated cereal up until a month ago and now she loves the Oatmeal with bananas. She would eat a big bowl of it if I let her. In fact she used to but I had to cut it down because she wouldn't take another bottle for about 6-8 hours after the cereal. The only time she gets rice cereal is when I mix it in the soupy baby food in order to make it a little thicker for her.
#6 of 9 Old 03-08-2001, 06:22 PM - Thead Starter

Too me it doesn't seem like rice cereal is very popular with babies but yet my dr. suggested it first. Well, Alexis is doing good with the mixed and likes the fruit mixed in. She is a little bit messy...lol . And she is not quit up to eating all of her two tablespoons..she is not quite adapted I don't think. But boy does she open that mouth to get some. And when she is done she lets you know. She even plays with her spoon and pretends to feed herself or just chew on it.
#7 of 9 Old 03-08-2001, 08:01 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Lori,
We do the same thing. When we had some Stage 1 foods left that Christian wouldn't eat because it was thin, I thickened it with the cereal. Some of the Stage 2 fruits are still thin and for some reason he does not like thin foods so I have to thicken it for him and he likes it.

Wendy
#8 of 9 Old 03-08-2001, 09:26 PM
Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With both my boys I got mixed cereal and I would buy stage one baby food and mix it in the cereal.
#9 of 9 Old 03-09-2001, 11:32 AM - Thead Starter

I found the one cereal that Alexis loves. It is the Gerber mixed cereal with mixed fruits..it is in the can not the box. She just couldn't get enough. Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page