------->Overly Clingy<------- - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-05-2006, 02:13 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, okay I know babies are suppose to be somewhat clingy but is it normal to always wanting to be held or have your mommy right there paying attention to you during your wakeful hours? I love my son and I love spending time with him and I play with him often but sometimes I feel the need to have some "me" time where I clean the house up a bit and do other things like come on here but Isaiah is making it impossible. I stuggled to even send pictures to DH or eat a decent meal. Now I have to wait for him to be sleeping before I can do anything on my own. Is there anything I can do or do I just have to tough it out? I feel really guilty for even posting this so...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 12
Its a phase.

I have that probelm with Kate right now too - but she's breaking in some more teeth finally and I have went back to work so she just doesnt get to see me as much anymore.
#3 of 12 Old 04-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Special Member

Yup a phase, Moses fallows me every where I go. I can't even go to the bathroom alone. I'll be trying to fold clothes so I just sit on the floor well he's climbing up my leg. Then I got Desiree calling for me. I almost feel nuts

#4 of 12 Old 04-05-2006, 03:11 PM

Location: The Funny Farm, Where life is beautiful all the time...
Likes Earned: 10
Don't feel badly at all.

Lauren went through this stage too. Hers was worse w/the reflux and all she went through.... thank goodness DH was a HUGE help (yes, I'm PRAISING him here! ) or I would have gone .

It's hard to do, but when he gets more mobile and more things interest him, you'll be fine. Since Lauren started walking it's been more like, "Mom WHO?" (except for at teething times.... )

Kim
DH Chris 8-6-94 **15 Years! **

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." Warren Buffett
Mom to Lauren 10/26/04 & Ryan 4/6/06 MC 3/22/07 Comet (10-5-09... RIP Bubba) Visit me @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#5 of 12 Old 04-05-2006, 03:27 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah I'm waiting for the day he'll crawl and walk. I'm hoping in the next few months he'll start crawling but I think he'll be one of those babies who crawls for two weeks and then starts walking right away. He's got amazing leg strength!!!! He's been pushing up on his legs ever since he was 2 months.

Yeah DH was a big help when he was here but now that he's not available it's harder on my own because I'm the only one who can entertain him.
#6 of 12 Old 04-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Special Member

Yes it is a phase... FYI Ryan is 4 and hasnt grown out of it yet!!

They do say you can't spoil a baby before 6 months though, but they also say once 6 months come the babies learn how to get you to be there all the time, no alone time for them or you

Ryan started crawling at 5 months, and was walking around 9 months .... Aidan inches when he is on his belly but no where near any sort of crawling motion...

#7 of 12 Old 04-05-2006, 03:59 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah he is getting pretty spoiled and I don't even know how because I wasn't one to carry the baby all of the time. He can cry crocodile tears at the drop of a hat though. He gets all weepy and pitiful and I can't just let him cry like that! It breaks my heart so I end up hugging him and playing with him.
#8 of 12 Old 04-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
I used a bouncinette for ll 3 of mine when I had stuff I had to do (like housework) I would put them where they could see me and I would make sure to have eye contact a lot and talk to them (mostly just a monologue on what I was doing - it was supposed to help stimulate their language centres, I don't know if they still tell Mum's to talk to their babies about the basic stuff). If they started to get upset I would play "peek-a-boo" from across the room, sing a sing (they probably stopped whimpering so I would stop singing ), call their name etc, etc. When I was over by them in the course of what I was doing I would pat their tummy, tickle them, kiss them.

That let them know I was still paying attention to them, but I wouldn't pick them up until I was finished. You could start by just doing it for 5 minutes, then stretch it out to 10 and get to 15 minutes. That was about my limit when they were really young, but in 15 minutes you can get a lot done. Then you can play with baby for a while and get in another 15 minutes work.

If you can get the basic's done in this way when he has a nap that is YOUR time, not housework time. Have a bath, go to the toilet all by yourself, have a nap, read a book. That way your batteries are being recharged so when he wakes up with all cylinders firing after his nap you are not exhausted from running around like a maniac

#9 of 12 Old 04-05-2006, 07:02 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks!!! That's great advice!!! I'll definetly try that!!!
#10 of 12 Old 04-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
You're welcome Hope it does the trick for you, may take a little while for him to accept it, or he may like the new game and you can start having some of that exceptionally important "ME" time.
#11 of 12 Old 04-06-2006, 12:16 AM

Is this more recent, like since Elijah left? He could just be noticing that there's a missing person, Nicole got extra clingy at that age when Daniel went out to sea.

Maree's right though, let him watch you and talk to him... When he starts whining, say "Mommy's got 2 more dishes, and then I'll play for a bit." then "OK, only one more dish, then we can play!" "YAY dishes are done! Now we can play!" He'll learn to count at a young age! He'll learn to look forward to hearing that the dishes are done.

I also gave Nicole an old non working keyboard, set her up in her high chair right next to me, when I wanted to get online. She loved that! Maybe find one at a local thrift store and clean it up real good.

Do you have a baby back pack? I used to stick Nicole in one of those while I did dishes, a bit of an added work out too!

Split his toys in half, and switch them out every couple of weeks. They'll always seem new and interesting.

Sticking Nicole in her high chair with a yummy and extra messy food would keep her occupied for about 30 minutes.
#12 of 12 Old 04-06-2006, 12:18 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Meghan!!! I give him a keyboard and he just pushes it onto the floor. He's at that stage where he wants to see things hit the ground.

Yeah he started acting like that right when DH left us. I didn't think it would effect babies this young but I guess it could happen. Thanks again!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page