I think my baby has acne - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-23-2006, 11:03 AM - Thead Starter
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure it is just newborn acne as it doesn't seem to bother her at all but it is so sad to see her little face all broken out in little red bumps. They are covering her forehead and nose, and spread onto her cheeks from her nose. They mostly look like little pimples exept on her nose where they are more clustered together and have a blistery rash look. It was so odd how quickly they appeared though... I'm thankful I got her pictures done when I did. I've read a few articles on newborn acne (different than infantile acne apparently) and they all say it should clear up by 2 or 3 months of age when her hormones level off.
Does anyone have any experience with this?

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Delaney had baby acne she was born with.
It DID go away by itself within 2 months.
#3 of 7 Old 05-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Special Member

Austin had it also on his cheeks and it cleared up in a few weeks.

#4 of 7 Old 05-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 29
Elaine, after each nursing take a warm wash cloth with a little bit of baby wash on it and wash off her face and head. It should clear up really well within just a few days if you do that after every nursing. All my kids had it and I think it was from the sweat when nursing.
#5 of 7 Old 05-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Special Member

This is a good answer to what baby acne is and treatment, i found on the web:

From your description, it sounds like she has neonatal or baby acne. This is a common problem that begins after a baby is a few weeks old and it is probably triggered by maternal hormones before she was born.

Infants with baby acne typically get whiteheads, blackheads, and pustules on their nose, scalp, cheeks and forehead. There skin may also appear red and rough.

Although no treatment is usually required, an article in the Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics does state that 'if desired, the lesions can be treated effectively with topical tretinoin and/or benzoyl peroxide.' Since they do so often go away without any treatment, you should talk to your Pediatrician before trying something like benzoyl peroxide or Retin A (a topical tretinion medication).

Keep in mind that baby acne may not go away on its own for several months and sometimes not until a baby is six months old.

Also keep in mind that common things that parents do, like vigorous washing and scrubbing and using moisturizers and other creams and lotions, can make baby acne worse. Since it looks worse than it makes your baby feel, it is usually best to just leave it alone and understand that it will eventually go away.

Gentle cleansing with water alone, or a mild soap, is usually the best 'treatment' until your baby's acne goes away
#6 of 7 Old 05-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Special Member

Aidan had it as well... I know it was more upsetting to me, and I made a point to tell everyone I saw about it ... he got it RIGHT before his pictures and Ryans bday party at 4 weeks, it actually only lasted about 1 month or so... my dr had me use Dove Soap on his face and it did seem to help. We had to stop soap all together since because he now has SUPER dry skin and excema - but he def had the baby acne ... and you are right, it doesn;t bother the babies... it just upset the mommies
#7 of 7 Old 05-23-2006, 01:45 PM

Zach had it also. His cleared up pretty fast if I remember correctly--or I got used to it. We just used water to wipe his face and left it alone. If he got dry patches we used vaseline since the acne is hormone related it didn't make it worse. I agree with krista, I think the nursing made it worse. It was always more red and puffy after nursing. Especially since he was born in July when it was hot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page