16mo. old cruiser; no words - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-13-2002, 12:14 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Had a 37 week boy on 11-1-2000 who came in at 4lbs 9oz. Had been in the NICU 4 days and the PICU 5 days. Had a hearing test at 10 days and was failed. Started in SoonerStart for hearing and worked on his motor skills too. Finally after three trips to check hearing he was pronounced with normal ( selective ? ) hearing in February. He will sit and babble bu-bu-bu, guoing-guoing-guoing, and yeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhaht. We hven't gotten 'mama' or 'dada' but we may have had 'maaaaaaaaaaaa'. He'll 'yeah' and 'unhuh' for yes; he'll 'og' and 'nyet' ( I have no idea where he got this because he does use it for no ) ; we've even got a child like clear 'uh-oh'. but other than that it is grunt and point and I must admit we need to start asking him more questions rather than interpreting what he is trying to say. He will horse laugh and hoot like an owl back at Grandpa. He'll stand at the crib rail and yell until he's picked up. Rarely cries unlees he thinks he can get sympathy. He cruises well, but hasn't decided to turn loose, and is trying to cut 8 more teeth at the same time. He also throws temper tantrums- Grandpa punishes; I ignore- he throws more for G'pa than for me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-13-2002, 12:20 AM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
maybe he needs to have his hearing checked again???Have you tried teaching him sign language just to help you all get through everything? We are trying to teach our 11 month old sign language....it isn't easy....but it will be worth it, especially since she has a cousin who uses sign language

I hope everything works out.
#3 of 6 Old 03-13-2002, 01:34 AM - Thead Starter

It was 2-2002 he had his hearing checked and they checked his ears at SoonerStart later tat week and there was no fluid behind the ear drum and it 'flexed' normally. I have been using sign language all along and when he sits on my knee he just watches my mouth from visual to motor and back...

#4 of 6 Old 03-13-2002, 01:39 AM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
All I can say is keep it up with the sign language, my dd hasn't quite picked up on it, but my nephew has been using it since he was probably 2 or 3, and he has Down's Syndrome. I figure if he can do it, we all can do it .........it just takes a lot of patience and you need to start off slow....start of with 3....then add a couple more once he gets those three down.

I hope that helps, and if you need any help let me know. I will try and help where I can
#5 of 6 Old 04-20-2002, 07:53 PM - Thead Starter

Sean is almost 18 months. We have shaking 'no', head bob 'yes', vocal 'yeah' and vocal 'uh oh'. We do have the point and ' unh unh unh uhn' and he will pick out his choice when given 'either/or'. We will vocallize a response in interaction too. I have heard b, v, m, and g. No Mama or Dada. Does 'MAAAA' count? He also goes " 'og " for Jiggs.
He has been walking since Easter when he decided to just let go... got any skates?
#6 of 6 Old 04-26-2002, 01:16 PM

Hi Cheryl: I am glad to hear that your little boy's hearing is fine. Perhaps he is focusing on his motor skills and not saying words at this moment. I would continue to encourage him to make those sounds you mentioned. When he is quiet, make one of his favorite sounds and add another. At this time, as long as you are seeing his understanding and expression of sounds grow at least every few weeks, he may be just developing language at his own pace. Keep providing the language rich environment. Sing, read, and talk, talk, talk talk. Give him words for his wants and needs. As others have expressed, encourage him to use gestures to let you know what he wants. Encourage him to imitate your actions so that he will eventually imitate your words. Make funny faces in a large mirror for him to copy or give him a watering can and let him help you water the flowers. Please let me know about his progress over the next few months and if I can answer more questions for you. Thank you and best wishes, Dorothy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page