This probably only amuses me - Page 2 - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 09-26-2007, 11:52 AM

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, well, easy enough! The husband of one of my church friends is a certified tech. Who knew? I just emailed her about having him check Emily and Travis's seats. Thanks for the info.

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 41 Old 09-26-2007, 12:29 PM - Thead Starter

that's awesome to have someone you actually know do it.
#33 of 41 Old 09-26-2007, 10:09 PM

Mel--Any thoughts on the seats that are built into the car seats...like in a van. I was wondering how safe they are. They don't seem to offer ANY side impact or added head protection like my Regents and/or Marathons do. Just wondering. i dn't know anyone personally who uses them.

I'm almost as "into" carseat regs as Mel. I've talked to my pedi about people I saw with INFANTS in carriers on the front seat (WTF??) and to parents at school with babies who were WAY to big for infant seats as well as people using old seats with 3 pts at school. I've passed on my kids "good" seats to people and told them my kids out grew them when in reality I just wanted their kids to be safe too. Car seat safety is important and discussions like this make people more aware. IMO i'ts ok to "ruffle a few feathers" if it makes someone think about how their kid is strapped in and to what they're strapped in to.

#34 of 41 Old 09-26-2007, 11:09 PM - Thead Starter

They're okay because they eliminate the bad installation factor. You're right that they offer almost no SIP though so I personally wouldn't use them every day.

Also if they've ever been occupied in an accident they're kaput and there's no way to replace them. So if I bought a used vehicle with one I wouldn't use it at all.

Pretty much everyone thinks I'm nuts. I don't let Gabe go anywhere without ME installing his carseat and making sure it's in right. Heck there are people already asking me when I'm turning him. Uhh he's only 9 months old so it's not even LEGAL yet, and two I'm not turning him at 1 anyhow.

I talked my pedi into giving people more information about the benefits of Extended Rearfacing and I carry copies of "are you using it right" to put on windshields of the REALLY bad offenders.

I just wish it weren't so expensive in Wisconsin to become a tech.
#35 of 41 Old 09-27-2007, 08:20 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
This is all completely different than in my day , we only used the RFing car seats until they outgrew them (at about 3 months) then they were FFing. I did keep mine in carseats after they turned 3 because I had heard they were bringing in a law that children had to be in car seats until they were 5 and I figured why wait for the law to come into affect. In NZ children have to sit in the back seat until they arre 8 at least when my kids were little anyway.

Completely different question tho, I get horribly motion sick even as an adult if I am facing backwards (on a train for instance) and I was even worse as a child. Does anyone have children who get motion sick in a RFing car seat and what on earth do you do about it bc it is one of the most miserable feeling in the world. Only Rick had motion sickness and he only got sick if it was hot, so we just made long journey's on cool days or at night on hot days.
#36 of 41 Old 09-27-2007, 08:54 AM - Thead Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Knight
Completely different question tho, I get horribly motion sick even as an adult if I am facing backwards (on a train for instance) and I was even worse as a child. Does anyone have children who get motion sick in a RFing car seat and what on earth do you do about it bc it is one of the most miserable feeling in the world. Only Rick had motion sickness and he only got sick if it was hot, so we just made long journey's on cool days or at night on hot days.
Most kids don't get more motion sickness RFing then FFing. I'd say that less then half the kids that get motion sickness have it better or worse when RFing from my experience.
#37 of 41 Old 09-27-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailwaggers
Also, how many injuries/fatalities here in the U.S. are caused by improper installation or use of the car seats? For example, MIL goes to see her other grandkids, and one is 18 months old and weighs less than Travis, but she rides in Emily's car seat, with no adjustments being made to the straps. Emily weighs over 40 pounds and is a foot (at least) taller than this child. If MIL had a wreck, it's very likely that J. would be hurt simply because she's not properly restrained. I can see how rear facing is safest. However, here in the U.S., sloppy/careless restraining is often the problem, too.
It's not MIL's fault, by the way, that this happens. J.'s mom tells MIL it's okay to do this, and I have said it's not.
I was just reading over the whole thread and had to comment . . . I personally believe it IS your MILS's fault just as much as it is J's mom's fault. If MIL is taking the responsibility of driving her grandchild anywhere, even if their mom says not to worry about how they are strapped in, she should WANT to make sure they are as safe as possible or just not take them anywhere. I think MIL and J's mom should be ashamed that they are disregarding that child's safety for convenience. Thankfully nothing has happened up to this point and I hope nothing ever does.
#38 of 41 Old 09-27-2007, 08:07 PM

Mel, I also don't let anyone but my husband or myself install the seats. My dad also knows how to do the Britax's as he and my mom now own 2 for the boys in FL. They are also not allowed in anyone else's car with anoyone else's seats--EVER.

I wouoldn't buy a used car with built in seats just like I'd never buy a used seat but I was wondering if it made sense to even consider the option in a new car. We'll be in th emarket next summer for a new van.
#39 of 41 Old 09-27-2007, 08:30 PM - Thead Starter

The other thing about new cars (Town and Country specifically) is that if they have those captains chairs that swivel you can install the Child restraint on it only if you keep the vehicle seat Facing forward. If you turn them backwards you can't have a child restraint on it. So they're only really good for older kids out of boosters and adults.

Thought you'd like that tidbit.

In a new car the built in car seat might be good in an emergency situation where you didn't have your seat or had an extra child suddenly.
#40 of 41 Old 09-27-2007, 09:10 PM

Good point. I was actually talking about the swivel seat YESTERDAY with my dad. I have a maxed out Dodge Caravan now and really like it but said when i turn it in next summer/fall I'd want a Toyota or a Honda. I was even considering getting less options to stay in the same price range we're in now to go with the Honda or Toyota. My dad called me yesterday and said to go check out the new Dodge's (and I assume Chryslers) b/c they redesigned and look more like the foreign vans. He brought up NOT getting the swivel seats too. I'll have to consider that and see how much the child restraint option is. Why not use the Regents if we already own them and 4 at that!), right? It wouldn't make sense to buy the built ins if they aren't as good.

Thanks again, Mel.
#41 of 41 Old 09-27-2007, 09:48 PM - Thead Starter

No prob, at least my obsession can help out someone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page